Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Revisted: iPhone unlocking now it won't be exclusive to O2?

Author Revisted: iPhone unlocking now it won't be exclusive to O2?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 13:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
requested my PAC code from O2 at 6pm last night, had the text with the code at 8am this morning.
The retentions guy tried a similar tactic with me (old sim card, never heard of data issue before etc etc). I just said "give me the pac code"! and I think he got the message I wasn't interested in anything else!

tmob now have the code and I'll be ported back to them on Thursday

still, at the end of the day, o2 finally did something right (and very unexpected)... free iphone unlock
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 13:37

On 2009-11-24 13:19:20, masseur wrote:
still, at the end of the day, o2 finally did something right (and very unexpected)... free iphone unlock

I still think it's a clever move in the face of competition from Orange and Vodafone - I wonder if it might be something that only O2 can actually do, now that their agreement with Apple has lapsed?

If it winds up that all three providers have the same pricing (and it's looking that way) but only O2 can offer an unlock on their phones, then that's a pretty good USP for O2. You can bet that the network performance between the three will start to level out too as previously O2 iPhones start to shift elsewhere, and the others gain new iPhone (and other smartphone) subscribers.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-11-24 12:41 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 13:42

On 2009-11-24 13:37:25, Boinng wrote:
snip...
You can bet that the network performance will start to level out too as previously O2 iPhones start to shift elsewhere and the others gain new iPhone (and other smartphone) subscribers.

I looked at Vodafone and Orange, but apart from tmob having a fair use policy of 1gb compared with 750mb/500mb with the other 2, I also considered that Orange and Vodafone would both be having alot of iphones on their network, as well as other similar devices. Tmob actually don't have a great deal of phones that would have high data usage and so I figured it was the better choice to move to for now.
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 13:46
I was looking for a network with stronger reception... as I hate getting no service on my phone which I got with O2 and use to get it with T-Mobile... So I have voted Voda on a 30 Day SIM ONLY... so will try and see how it works otherwise will look at another network...

Lets see how it works out...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-26 10:14
my port happened this morning. took less than an hour from when I lost O2 to when my number was on tmob.

no more O2 for me! yippee!

it still brings a smile to my face when I'm doing data on tmob, its just so much smoother and error free
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-26 10:54
I will be with Voda from tommorrow...

So will share my findings...

Thy offered a decent deal even though I am a new customer which was good...

Wonder if battery life would improve a little due to have a network that has stronger signal...???

Cheers
ENJOY
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:18
Anyone who has unlocked there iPhone... and using a different sim...

Have you switched your phone off and on again since... As when I do it it wants me to connect to itunes...

Wanted to know other peoples view on this

Cheers
ENJOY
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:22
SE-Naz - obvious thing to ask, did you connect to iTunes and get the "unlocked" message in iTunes when you first put the Vodafone sim in, as per Masseur's screenshots? I can't confirm or deny anything as I only briefly used another sim just for the unlock, before going back to O2.
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:25
Boinng - Yes i got the exact same message as Masseur's screenshoot...

Everytime I connect to itunes it says "Congratualtion your iPhone is Unlocked"

This is the 3rd time now...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:47
Sorry - I realised I have a T-Mobile sim in my desk drawer here so I just tried it out for you - my 3G is definitely completely unlocked, it started up fine with the new sim and then again after a power cycle (quite a novely to see "T-Mobile" up in the top left).

This is with a completely standard, unjailbroken iPhone 3G 8GB running 3.1.2, unlocked last week (or whenever it was) on a Mac with the latest iTunes.
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:50
Was your phone connected to itunes when you did that???
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 11:57
the first time I connected to itunes after getting the O2 text message I did see the "connect to itunes" message on my iphone, even though it was actually connected.

itunes itself didn't seem to do much so I disconnected the phone and then reconnected it and immediately I got the "your phone is now unlocked" message.

Its behaved totally normally since and I'm running full time on my tmob sim now that my number has also been ported
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 12:01
Have you switched off the iphone and switched it back on since with your tmob sim init...?

As when I do that it wants me to connect to itunes...?

Did you do a restore before unlocking???

Also was your iphone Jailbroken when you unlocked?

Help appreciated

Cheers
ENJOY
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 12:08

On 2009-11-27 11:50:33, SE-Naz wrote:
Was your phone connected to itunes when you did that???

No, not connected to anything at all* - it's been sync'd with iTunes since the unlock (is it possible that makes a difference?), but that was at the weekend.

I did the actual unlock with a different sim last week, and as Mass says, the unlock screen in iTunes didn't appear immediately for me either. The phone was asking to be connected, I plugged it in, iTunes loaded, and then sat there with a blank screen and no apparent activity for maybe a minute or so. Eventually I just started clicking around in the iTunes menu (between playlists etc), then the status window announced it was "connecting to iTunes store" and moments later the "Congratulations" screen appeared.

After that I actually unplugged (I didn't click through in iTunes to "setup this iphone") and went back to my old O2 sim for the last week... until today.

* EDIT - it occurs to me that Wifi was on, so it's possible my phone could have "called home" using that to check it was ok to use the new sim, but that seems unlikely. To get to the point where the wifi could connect, it had to boot up fully and was already showing full signal on the new network etc.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-11-27 11:14 ]
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2009-11-27 16:23
Well...

I have done a complete restore and that seems to have sorted the issue out...

When I switch the phone off and on it does not ask me to connect to itunes... like it was doing before...

At least it all sorted...

If anyone needs Vodafone settings to get there internet and mms working go here: Vodafone Settings

Cheers
ENJOY
[ This Message was edited by: SE-Naz on 2009-11-27 17:02 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi