Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > yet another "unlimited" data discussion - was: whats wrong with o2 retentions

Author yet another "unlimited" data discussion - was: whats wrong with o2 retentions
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-11-19 23:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Nanu

Thats probably the funniest and yet the saddest story I've heard. How they can call 250 MB 'unlimited' is beyond a joke. And how they can expect anyone to stay within that measly limit, with today's handsets, is even further beyond the realms of humour.

It's shocking really.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-24 19:05
I'd still like to hear what Mr Miyagi and Daedalus85 have to say on this matter since they were totally convinced it was unlimited. But yet so much evidence stating otherwise. I'd like to know if they have now changed their minds.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 13:29
I am very surprised by the way things go here in the UK. Why isn't anyone taking these mobile phone carriers to the trading standards or some other watchdog.

They advertise with unlimited data usage with a little * what says FUP of 250MB or whatever. Then it is not unlimited any more isn't it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that something is not right.

I've recently rented a car that had unlimited mileage, and it really was unlimited, there was no little * pointing out it was unlimited up to 250 miles.

Back in Holland where I'm from unlimited is really unlimited, granted they may put you back on GRPS speed, but they will not block your access. For about 10 Euro a month you have GPRS speed Web 'n Walk from T-mobile which is really unlimited, they do not care if you stream some internet radio 24/7. But here in Britain, unlimited doesnt actually mean unlimited, and the phone companies get away with it. It is just not right.

unlimited

• adjective not limited or restricted; infinite.

I really hope someone is taking these companies to court or something. When I buy unlimited access to anything, I expect just that, no limits. If they can't handle the traffic generated by the customers, then don't call it unlimited, simples.
[ This Message was edited by: blerk on 2009-11-28 12:30 ]
A To Z Feedback: [+18] - [-0]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 18:29
Unlimited does mean unlimited in the UK, but it also means unlimited with a limit it would seem.

Its the same with internet providers for your pc. My broadband is unlimited. But my friend who is with another ISP has unlimited broadband too. Except his bandwith limit is 5gb per month.

So its not really unlimited i always tell him when he argues different.
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 21:06
Yeah it makes no sense, the advertising standards should do something about it. Unlimited should mean unlimited. Once companies advertise with unlimited internet but only with 5gb allowance, what exactly is unlimited about it. Silly Brits. Back in Holland I had unlimited 20mbit broadband, which was exactly that, they did not care whether I would download 300GB or 3GB a month. With fiber becoming the norm there the traffic goes trough the roof. A friend of mine recently got 50/50mbit fiver and uploaded over 1TB (torrent) in a few weeks, all he got was an e-mail asking him if he could be infected with a worm, he said he didn't and that was it. Can't wait for Britain to catch up with the rest of Europe when it comes to real unlimited (mobile) broadband.
A To Z Feedback: [+18] - [-0]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-11-28 22:15
I had 50mbit broadband but found it too expensive and unnecessary for my needs. It had no monthly bandwith limit though.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 14:07
Now I have some news which will end this discussing for good. My brother just moved to O2 pay & go & with the £7.50 Bolt on for web each month he checked his allowance on My O2 with the O2 Wap pages & it clearly said remaining MB left 500mb
Phone?? What phone??
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 17:43
Dont think the o2 payngo allowance was in doubt. Think the majority of people have always known its 500mb. (apart from 1 or 2 knowitall ignorant buggas on here) my guess is theyl double the data at least to Stop people moving to tmob 3 ect. )

This message was posted from a WAP device
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 21:18
Thats still not good enough though. Unlimited should mean unlimited and nothing else.
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-28 22:02
There seems a big discrepincy between what they consider unlimitd texts and unlimitd web. U get 12,000 txts. Way way higher than the average person uses. Yet unlimitd web is only 500mb?

This message was posted from a WAP device
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 04:56
12,000 txts is not unlimited either. Unlimited is without limits.
Unlimited 3G data is likely to disappear according to this blog. Networks just cannot afford to provide it with the current projections for future 3G smartphone usage.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 14:03
There seems to be a difference between the £7.50 bolt on and what you get included in a tariff. I don't know.
Phone?? What phone??
Greggy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-12-29 16:49
Theres no difference. Both are 500mb wether u get it free or buy it

This message was posted from a N82
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-12-30 15:17
O2 text and web pay and go tariff is the same i just spoke with O2 its also 500mb. I reckon alot of CC staff don't know and some do.
Phone?? What phone??
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2009-12-30 21:05
Possibly O2 staff such as those who have posted in this thread however are told by the company to promote the network and play down / deny any negativities it may have ?

My ex-employer once told me to promote the company on places such as forums, social networking websites etc.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi