Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Advise me a good Nokia Phone (got myself a N97 :))

Author Advise me a good Nokia Phone (got myself a N97 :))
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-10-16 03:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
wise words.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-10-16 11:56
Thank you for your advice How would I be able to tell my N97 would be from the latest batch. I mean I have ordered it directly from Nokia. Would I be able to type in a code on the phone to find out if its a new batch one? I know the link which quoted: How to tell if your N97 has the old design: You'll know - you'll have scratches already. If your lens is clear of physical scratches then relax, you're OK. (If you look very closely then you can tell the two designs apart - one has a visible gap between slide and camera glass.)

But can I check any other way, apart from waiting to see if a scratch will appear? I aim to keep this phone in the case I ordered for it from Nokia so that should keep it protected right? Also what about the initial charge of the phone? how long should that be?

Thanks again

Miyagi

On 2009-10-16 03:33:43, senninha wrote:
yup the camera cover problem occurred on the early production runs. i've had my N97 for 3 months now and not a scratch on my lens. it does help to always keep it clean though, and not just the lens but also the side that is exposed when the lens is covered since that is usually where the dirt comes from.

i'm quite happy with my N97. it's not perfect, but then no device is. i suggest the first thing you do is to install handy taskman. so long as you manage your RAM properly, then you should be ok. also, keep in mind that some widgets cause stability problems when you keep them on your homescreen. i personally leave them off the screen and therefore don't experience any freezes or things of the sort.

also, install all apps in your mass memory if possible. if you can, uninstall the pre-installed ones and reinstall them in the mass memory, as space on the C: drive is limited and very valuable. you can download most of the pre-installed stuff from the ovi store, but before you do, make sure that you configure your ovi store settings so that it installs apps in you mass memory. the only app i recall that i couldn't download again was the amazon.com widget, so if you want to keep that, then just leave it on your C: drive.

good luck and enjoy your new toy!
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-10-16 19:39
phone not arrived yet, not till Monday being delivered by UPS wish they delivered on Saturdays. Spoke to Nokia about the camera glass thingy, they said it was affected a certain network, guess he meant vodafone, but said that all batches that are being sent out now and the updated newest ones.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-10-16 21:01
If there is a UPS depot near you take some ID see if its there and go and collect it. I did that once with City Link with a Vodafone delivery.
Phone?? What phone??
Mr Miyagi
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2009-10-16 22:09
Bonovox can't do that at the moment mate. need to wait to get the tracker number etc for the parcel from Nokia first, so just waiting on the email from them.
senninha
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-10-18 15:08
i'm not sure about how to check when your phone was made. on SE phones, the sticker under the battery indicates the week and year it was made, but i don't know if nokia does that and i'm a little lazy to check under my battery right now. but i really wouldn't worry if i were you. the defective units were those made in july and earlier i believe and i'm pretty sure nokia will be sending you a fresh unit. so long as you see a gap between the lens and the cover, you're fine.

i also forgot to mention, if you want to recover more space on your C: drive, do a hard reset. i did it on my phone and recovered an additional 15MB, although you will lose the amazon.com widget.

the reason you would want to free up space is because apps like quickoffice install on your C: drive and use up a lot of space if ever you decide to update the app to the most recent version. nokia apps like nokia messaging and ovi contacts also only install on C: and hog a lot of space, so unless you really need them, i'd stay away from them.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi