Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson New Brand Message: make.believe

1234  Next
Author Sony Ericsson New Brand Message: make.believe
dancingfate
K700
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 19:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson realigns brand in next stage of company transformation

03 September 2009

* Evolves visual identity and brand values as next stage of business transformation
* Shifts consumer engagement to digital, viral and social media platforms
* Aligns with Sony Group companies under new ‘make.believe’ brand message

London – September 3rd, 2009 –
Sony Ericsson today announced the next stage of its on-going business transformation with the realignment of its external visual identity and brand values in order to deliver its vision of becoming the Communication Entertainment brand. The company also confirmed its adoption of the newly announced Sony brand message ‘make.believe’ in all consumer communication in order to reinforce its entertainment credentials and collaboration with the Sony Group.

“Fusing communication and entertainment has been at the core of Sony Ericsson’s offering since the start of the joint venture. ‘make.believe’ aligns Sony Ericsson with the Sony Group companies and reflects the coming together of communication and entertainment. By re-aligning our brand and adopting ‘make believe’ we further highlight our entertainment offering to consumers,” said Cathy Davies, Head of Brand Strategy at Sony Ericsson.

“Our ongoing business transformation is laying the foundations for the new Sony Ericsson. Our re-aligned brand is a vital part of this strategy. Combined with a new culture of openness it marks a shift in the way we plan and build our propositions, as well as how we invite consumers to engage with us via digital and social media platforms”, said Lennard Hoornik, Head of Marketing at Sony Ericsson.

Visually, Sony Ericsson will expand the appeal of its globally recognised ‘liquid identity’ logo by adding seven new colour variations plus a new a ‘liquid energy’ flowing from the logo to make it more playful and visually appealing for the digital arena. The company also aims to adopt a more open and questioning attitude by inviting greater consumer participation in the brand through a stronger focus on interactive digital and social media channels.

A series of strategic marketing campaigns this autumn will launch the realigned visual identity and showcase the start of make.believe at Sony Ericsson, including a ‘spark something’ viral campaign for the new Satio, Aino and Yari phones and a global activation campaign as the official global handset sponsor for the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ to capture the passion of football fans around the world.
[ This Message was edited by: Rifqi_Aziz on 2009-09-03 18:28 ]
Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Desire S, HTC Wildfire, S001, SO905iCS, T650 (Gold & Green), C901, W800, K660, K700, Beibei (G702), Severine (DEAD)
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 19:37
Great news lets hope its money well spent. But are the different coloured logos going to be depending on which type of phone it will be? As in for example Blue for Cyber Shot or something.

[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-09-03 18:38 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 20:22
I remember someone on here saying that Sony was going to have a greater say in what goes on at and the make.believe reminds me of like.no.other.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 21:36
Yes its a similar thing like.no.other but Sony having more of a say can only be good i think.
Phone?? What phone??
jj03
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 22:40
the 'make.believe' 'message could quite easily bite se in the arse. (lol)
Vipera ammodytes
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 22:48
Bug free phone from SE, with quality camera, i.want.to.believe
[ This Message was edited by: Vipera ammodytes on 2009-09-03 21:48 ]
OnePlus 8
hihihans
HTC One
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 22:54
who they want to make.believe?
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 22:58
if this means that sony is integrating sony ericsson more into their buisness its good news.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 23:26

On 2009-09-03 22:58:18, jack00 wrote:
if this means that sony is integrating sony ericsson more into their buisness its good news.

I agree. It looks to me like this is exactly what is happening.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-09-03 23:46
Yes with Sony's high tech know how and Ericsson's experience in the mobile industry. Lets face it Sony never made great phones before it joined Ericsson. So its good news Sony will put in more of its tech strengths. Though i remember the corousel type menu in the latest Sony Ericsson handsets is a Sony idea. They featured a similar menu in one of their own Sony phones many years back but with grey scale screen. I think that menu looks cool.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 01:26

On 2009-09-03 22:40:00, jj03 wrote:
the 'make.believe' 'message could quite easily bite se in the arse. (lol)

Absolutely it will.
While I applaud their efforts to engage with consumers and I think that is well overdue, adopting a make.believe slogan will alienate many young people for whom their slogan is "keep it real". I'm an old fogey of 37 but the younger students I speak to at Uni all have a deep mistrust of marketing, advertising, government and authority in general. These people seldom vote and largely opt out of local government involvement. The purpose of social media to them is to bypass the more commonly accepted forms of media with their perceived propaganda and connect with others like them.
I think could be seen as invading that space and that could backfire on them.

One survey I've seen shows that twitter is more of a form of entertainment for many people than an actual 2-way communication medium, this may not provide the returns is looking for.

As I've said before, let's see them take a leaf out of General Motors book about how to re-engage with consumers.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 01:40
I noticed that Sony Ericsson already seem to spend more on advertising than many others.
Phone?? What phone??
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 03:27
By re-aligning our brand and adopting ‘make believe’ we further highlight our entertainment offering to consumers,” said Cathy Davies, Head of Brand Strategy at Sony Ericsson.

If only this kind of marketing and media speak, could be translated into solidly made quality products, but SE seem commited to paying for Brand Strategy, rather than investing at the blunt end, ive lost count of SE phones with keys fading with wear after only a few weeks, dust ingress, dodgey sofware and poor backup.
We live in hope, but end up in despair.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 05:40
Kiki would be the perfect example for their new slogan. the transparent display is very unique just like the LG GD900 crystal. and SE wants people to make.believe that this implementation is possible frm them.
[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2009-09-04 04:41 ]
10 years at Esato
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-09-04 06:12

On 2009-09-04 03:27:03, number2 wrote:
By re-aligning our brand and adopting ‘make believe’ we further highlight our entertainment offering to consumers,” said Cathy Davies, Head of Brand Strategy at Sony Ericsson.

If only this kind of marketing and media speak, could be translated into solidly made quality products, but SE seem commited to paying for Brand Strategy, rather than investing at the blunt end, ive lost count of SE phones with keys fading with wear after only a few weeks, dust ingress, dodgey sofware and poor backup.
We live in hope, but end up in despair.

Exactly, right.
Apple got it right when they released the iPhone: they took the concept of a mobile phone back to it's core elements and ended up with a worldwide hit. Would love to see produce some simple, high quality hardware that is as reliable as the iPhone.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi