Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Has twitter and facebook killed off forums?

12  Next
Author Has twitter and facebook killed off forums?
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 14:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've noticed recently how everyone seems to twitter and facebook more than post in forums whereas before people went to forums for discussions and chat now it just looks like people only post in forums for help or advice and not much else and since the rise of twitter i've noticed how lots of forums just don't seem to attract as many posters as before.So the question here is the end of forums as we know them?

Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 14:24

On 2009-06-02 14:22:51, julias wrote:
I've noticed recently how everyone seems to twitter and facebook more than post in forums whereas before people went to forums for discussions and chat now it just looks like people only post in forums for help or advice and not much else and since the rise of twitter i've noticed how lots of forums just don't seem to attract as many posters as before.So the question here is the end of forums as we know them?

I don't know how true that is, but I know there are definitely a few of us that can't stand all the facebook/twitter stuff, so forums will definitely survive even if there is a threat.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
julias
X2 White
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 14:31
Well thats true because i prefer forums myself or i don't know maybe i'm just old school but twitter seems pointless to me posting endlessly about your every move and thought, its like talking to yourself for no apparant reason at least with forums you can raise a discussion and get replies from whoever has an opinion.
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 14:36
Great question that, and yes, to a certain extent it has, 90% of my output is now on social media as opposed to the forums, they do have the distinct advantage in that you can converse with only those people you choose to
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 14:43
i must admit that twitter's got me addictive lately. but it doesnt mean i've forgotten the forums.

twitter's become more than a microblogging thing. i can say that it's almost replaced my IM(windows live messenger). im not into FB as i didnt like hi5 neither. so the question for me is: forums vs twitter.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 15:40
To a certain extent Twitter has probably reduced a lot of idle chit-chat on forums, but Twitter, Facebook, and Forums are all different and will always remain in their own right. Forums are great as particular discussions are very focussed and can be started and joined by loads of people over a course of time, whereas the likes of Twitter is very fast moving, discussions come and go and then move on to the next thing.

Guess it comes down to a question of time, rather than want. People that used to spend a lot of time on a forum perhaps spend that time Tweeting or FBing now and dont have the spare time to visit forums as much
[ This Message was edited by: RyaN on 2009-06-02 14:40 ]
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 15:46
@mechanical_mind, "idle chit-chat"
that's you off my Xmas card list
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 15:47
I spend a small amount of time on FB and don't use Twitter at at all. Can't really see the attraction or benefit of Twittering - I'd rather spend time learning something. I have Goldfinches in my garden - they do my twittering for me
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 16:22
I much prefer Facebook and Twitter to forums. With twitter, I can interact with those I nromally wouldn't be able to, and be able to 'network'.
As for Facebook - it's part of my life. Before, I wouldn't have a clue as to what's been going on in school unless somebody told me, but that's all been opened up with Facebook. Probably because of my age, but they're just my preference over forums.
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 16:23
@MWEB LOL - git! You know what I mean
Current phone: iPhone 3G
Favourite : S700
Follow me on Twitter!: Here
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 16:25
Indeed, if you need any tips on how to valet your beloved motor, Arien and Fatreg can oblige in great detail
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 16:29
Believe it or not guys i came off Facebook cos i was stalked by a mentally ill woman. I know you can block your profile but after that happened it just put me off Facebook or any other type of social network that has your entire life splattered over the internet for the whole world to see. I became depressed using Facebook anyway needed to get a life LOL
Phone?? What phone??
thomas93
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 16:58
Im feeling the love from Arien and MWEB
(+10 -0) WoRld Tour
7 User!
arien617
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 17:10
@Bonovox
Privacy settings. I let outsiders see my photos, networks etc. but I don't let them see anything more.
Personal details are for friends to see only. Works well enough.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2009-06-02 17:34
Yes i know but it just put me off and decided to delete my profile. I cant be bothered with Social Networking anymore would rather get out there have more of a life and actually meet people instead. I found many many people on Facebook i never seen for over 10 years and still in touch via email. I worked with one woman years ago who came to my mothers funeral i then found her on Facebook living all the way in Kentucky USA. I was amazed. But still would rather not go on there again.
Phone?? What phone??
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi