Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Iphone 16gb or HTC Diamond 2 plus WiFi Router and iPod Touch 32gb

Author Iphone 16gb or HTC Diamond 2 plus WiFi Router and iPod Touch 32gb
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 10:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi !

opinions welcomed ! I have an iPod Touch but where I live doesn't have many WiFi hotspots. It's not a British Telecom area!

So I am wondering iPhone 16gb or HTC Diamond 2 plus WiFiRouter software and iPod Touch 32gb.

I have licensed WiFiRouter software, so with a Windows mobile, I could use the iPod Touch too, because the Windows mobile becomes a WiFi hotspot.

Reason for using iPod Touch is that Japanese and Chinese input is sweet. Yes, I know I can get these languages on Mobile Windows but the input is not so sweet.

I also wonder when a new iPhone will be released but Apple seemk to keep this under wraps !

Comments appreciated!

Ofiaich
[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2009-04-23 09:24 ]
esato since Nov, 12, 2001
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 10:51
I don't really see the advantage in the WM + Wifimrouter solution - I mean, although the WinMo phone would become a "wifi hotspot", it would only be relaying the same mobile connection that the iPhone would otherwise be using directly, so wouldn't be any faster - would it?

Unless you're desperate, I'd hang on till June - Apple have a developers conference in the w/c 8th June, that's when they'll be releasing the new iPhone/Touch OS, and it's odds on they'll be announcing new hardware at the same time. Of course, the best time for a bargain (though not much of one) on a current iPhone is before then.

If you do go for an iPhone, you could think about selling the iPod (unless the extra space on the iPod is a big issue, but then that might be taken care by the next iPhone hardware).
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-04-23 09:53 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 13:06
Hi Boinng!

great answer... thanks...

Reason for using Windows Mobile with WiFi router and iPod Touch, is mainly that the Japanese and Chinese input options for Windows Mobile are not good. The keyboard becomes much smaller and requires the use of the stylus.

iPod Touch and iPhones Japanese and Chinese input are great !

So 8th June ! Not so far away, and my birthday is in that week!

Ofiaich
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 13:25
I can completely see why you want to use the iPod Touch, it's just the WinMo phone that's confusing me! With an iPhone you'll still have that great interface and those same language input options, but be able to cut out the middleman of a separate phone to tether it to... it does kind of cut out the need for the separate iPod, but you'll find everything you liked about that in your iPhone anyway...

Remember that the forthcoming OS3 will be plugging many of the gaps that people complain about in the current iPhone (eg MMS support, copy and paste, the possibilty of proper satnav apps like TomTom, stereo bluetooth) - and that will be coming to all current iPhone 3G's as well as any new model(s) they announce in June.
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 14:06
Hi again!

I suppose simply, not needing to sell the iPod Touch on and also the problem with a lack of WiFi where I live. The iPod Touch is new and I guess I will not get a good second hand price for it.

I think your point about the forthcoming OS3 will be plugging many of the gaps, is important. Last night, I wanted to copy and paste a Japanese word, from email to a dictionary in the Touch. No chance...

I will wait and see what June brings ! Maybe a 32 gig iPhone !

Ofiaich

anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 15:45
Well the good news is that whichever way you go, you can still get OS3.0 complete with copy & paste etc on your iPod (although meanly the update will cost $9.99 for iPod users, while being free for iPhones).
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-04-23 14:46 ]
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-23 17:54
Hi!

I look forward to that update..

thanks again!

Ofiaich
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi