Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson reports first quarter results 2009

Previous  12
Author Sony Ericsson reports first quarter results 2009
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-20 08:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Dude I don't buy that reason either. You see,7 years is a quite long time in the fast living/changing/developing cell phone market. I still remember SE were trumpeting all over the place how they will take the market 'by storm'. They were supposed to be competition to Nokia not Alcatel for market share Apart of 2008, all the other years have been bad. Ericsson figured that out a while back. Sony still helped SE. Unfortunately they themself are in difficulties right now! My take on this is: If no drastic changes happen and happen soon, Ericsson might pull out and leave Sony alone. Sagem are not that happy with SE either. Their name is associated to much with experive devices and lately bad quality, a thing which Sagem does not like.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-20 11:57
I hate to say it but Mario is right when he says this is really bad news for SE. Minor setbacks were last year, this is of serious concern.

They've already cut back on staff, restructred the business but it's not enough. Now another 2000 staff are going, how are they going to produce new phones faster than the slow pace we all complained about last year?

What's the economy like in Scandinavia at the moment? I know it's not good in Japan. The cellphone market is shrinking because people are holding on to their phone longer and looking for added value like they get from the Apple App store.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that SE is a niche manufacturer and sometimes niches dry up.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-04-20 11:15 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-04-20 20:22
Ahh,...2008 has been really bad for SE and everyone agrees to that. Till 2007 they were making profits of more than 300 million euros a quarter. They, unlike motorola, who are really the gonners this time are trying to fight back with good devices. 2008 was a nightmare, whatever they touched, turned to stone.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi