Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Is the LG Arena better then the I Phone?

12  Next
Author Is the LG Arena better then the I Phone?
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 01:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Check out this video review of the LG Arena, and see what you think.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7977206.stm

Overall, the phone is solid, smooth, and easy to use, and apparantly has a less 'clunky' internet browser compared to other devices such as the I Phone.

Again, the phone has only been releasd for a week now, with a second S Class UI phone already announced by LG on the way.

The only real problem is the zooming with the browser, but overall, it is better than a lot of in built browsers on other phones.

I definately without a doubt believe this new handset to be better than the I Phone.

I missed the link, but it is there now.
[ This Message was edited by: Bhavv on 2009-04-04 00:55 ]
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 02:12
Specs-wise it obviously is, but from the aggressiveness of the iPhone users out here it shows that they have had an excellent user experience with it. Since the Arena is too new then no one has had a real quality time using it, so I don't think user experience between the two handsets can be compared right now
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 02:15
But you see, it just has been compared, and it apears to have better browser and features.

Zooming in and out is a little tricky, but according to this review still better then other handsets, with a mention of the I hones interface thrown in as well.

The UI on the LG Arena, and upcoming GD900 is amazing, of course the I Phone users will disagree and claim that the IPhone is still and always will be the best, but it looks to me like we have a better handset, UI and Browser right here.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 02:35
What I meant was in the long run, i.e. developer support etc. But from what I see the Arena is one scary enough device, I already recommended it to my friend who's a touchscreen guy with a Viewty.
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 02:48
My view about the long run is that LG are no doubt going to be supporting this new UI - It is going to be used in their upcoming higher spec phones as well. Right now they are obviously focusing on the product launch and marketing of this device as well as the upcoming one, and I have no doubt these S Class UI phones are going to sell very well and become highly popular.

Now here is the advantage - unlike the I Phone, LG are releasing several S Class UI phones - KM900 Arena - 5 MP, GD900 - 8 MP with slide out buttons, and likely also the GC900 Viewty 2 - 8 MP, no buttons.

They have the whole mid range to high end price points covered, and the advantage is that any software released for one of these handsets will be compatible with the others.

You dont get a product launch as spectacular as these devices with no future support for the handsets, there will be software, games and apps available, but we just have to wait as the handsets are still brand new.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 02:57
Do you think LG's gonna hop on the Appstore bandwagon? I certainly hope so, more competition would do the market more good.
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 03:20
I am definately thinking so, Blackberry have just done it and opened up an appstore, but LG are still in their early stages with this new device.

Basically, I think it would be silly of them not to offer apps and software for these phones, when they have created such a brilliant UI as well as such brilliant mobile phones. The I Phone defense squad like to believe that there being nothing for the handset right now is a bad thing, but its only been out for like 7 days? How many apps were available for the first I Phone after 7 days?

Also, when I click on my games and applications widget, there is definately a link to download new games and apps, just like on SE phones, just with nothing there, yet.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 03:51
We may not agree on SE matters but on iPhone defense squad, we definitely have a similar point lol. I think LG's going to get high this year. Well let's see how the Arena fares, so far so frickin good TBH.
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-04-04 05:46
It does not take much to have a better browser than the iphone. I test drove it in the store. That is definitely a weak spot on the iphone.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Bhavv
Nokia Lumia 920
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 07:52
You see, the I Phone defence says otherwise, and according to them, the I Phone has the best internet browser out of any handset.

Im begining to believe that even opera mini is better then the I Phones browser if the I Phone is any worse then the Arena.

The I Phone is basically overhyped by the people that use it and believe to be better than anything else, same with all of Apples products.

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 09:44
Lets start at the begining, define "better"
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 09:59

On 2009-04-04 09:44:16, MWEB wrote:
Lets start at the begining, define "better"

1. of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech.
2. morally superior; more virtuous: They are no better than thieves.
3. of superior suitability, advisability, desirability, acceptableness, etc.; preferable: a better time for action.
4. larger; greater: the better part of a lifetime.
5. improved in health; healthier than before.
6. completely recovered in health.
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 10:07
In a context that might be applicable to a comparison of mobile devices Reg, (got your bets on yet) ?
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 10:13
After trying to copy the iphone UI style while leaving the smartness of the Apple OS platform, certainly not imo. It's just another iphone wannabe. every mobile company can introduce phones that are better spec'd than iphone but they fail to deliver a great user experience iphone had offered for almost 2 years now.
10 years at Esato
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 11:06

On 2009-04-04 01:48:28, Bhavv wrote:
Check out this video review of the LG Arena, and see what you think.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7977206.stm

Overall, the phone is solid, smooth, and easy to use, and apparantly has a less 'clunky' internet browser compared to other devices such as the I Phone.

That's a complete misrepresentation - he didn't mention or refer to the iPhone at all in that review. What he did was demonstrate the pinch zoom in the browser which I can tell you is lifted entirely from the iPhone interface, and say that was a less clunky zoom method than some other browsers which relied on things like plus/minus buttons or eyeglass icons. The iPhone is not one of those browsers!

Of course that was actually the ONLY good thing he had to say about the Arena's browser, after labouring the point that as with the shutter on the Arena's 5mp camera, the browser displayed very significant lag and slowness, noting that the processor of the phone was struggling. Go find a video of the iPhone's browser on Youtube (there are many) and spot the difference.

I suppose I should be surprised at you posting a review which so completely undermines the very case you're trying to make, but then again, let's just remind ourselves of your own review of the Arena's browser, which (going from that BBC clip) is clearly quite accurate:

On 2009-03-31 22:25:40, Bhavv wrote:
Ok, now I found a major problem.

The internet browser is impossible to use comfortably. Zooming in and out on every single page is tedious and time consuming, and it too difficult to click on links, particulary those little thread page numbers, which are impossible to click.

I will have to use my T700 with a 3 PAYG sim for mobile browsing, and the LG for just multimedia and modem use.

I'll complain about the browser to LG support tomorrow.

Cracking stuff, keep it coming.

Incidentally - you should learn the difference between a UI and an OS. LG's "S Class UI" is simply a user interface, that can and quite possibly will be applied across a number of different OS's, from whatever propietary system the Arena is running to possible future smartphones like the multiple Windows Mobile phones LG committed themselves to at the last Mobile World Congress. It's like Samsung's TouchWiz, which appeared on both the Windows Mobile powered Omnia, and will shortly appear on the S60 powered Omnia HD. It's a great idea to have a consistent UI across products like this, but it's no relation to the iPhone OS, which combines a fully integrated UI with an open OS (actually OS X) for which developers can create completely standardised, UI-integrated apps.

The Arena won't have apps because its OS isn't open - there's no SDK, and no indication that its at all suitable for third-party development. There's not even any guarantee that the underlying OS is the same or cross-compatible between the Arena and the other S-Class handsets they have coming out. If and when an S-Class Windows Mobile handset appears then that may well have developers creating "S-Class" widgets for it, in the same way that SE encourage developers to create Panels for the X1's WM shell - but they won't be working on the Arena as well, because the Arena isn't a Windows Mobile phone. It's simply a feature phone.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-04-04 13:28 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi