epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-06-08 00:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-03-17 12:45:41, number2 wrote:
Today its going back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Read this with interest.

Anyway. Since You seem to have some experience with both the X1 AND HTC Touch pro now I have a few questions. Ofcourse anyone who knows the answer please respond aswell.

You switched from X1 to HTC. What do you think of Samsung's Omnia? The WM-version (not the Omnia HD). Because I'm torn between either going for the X1 or the Omnia which can be had for a pretty good price nowadays.

I've already read the various reviews about it. So I know it takes great pics. The 600MHz cpu is as fast as a 500MHz cpu (in e.g. HTC Touch), it also has another touch-friendly layer on top of WM6.1, etc...etc...

Now the real questions.

1) In dumb SE-phones whenever an SMS arrives with a number in it. They are treated as phone numbers and you can dial them immediatly without jotting them down, switching to phone-mode and inputting them again. Is there a similar feature in those WM-devices or do you use copy-and-paste. Is there a copy-and-paste function at all in X1 or other WM devices?

2) Can the LED-light be used as a flash (on X1 I guess because the HTC doesn't have a LED)? I previously had a K750i (and currently a K550i) and I absolutely NEED that light sometimes. If someone knows whether this is also possible on the omnia (which does have a LED-flash) also let me know please?

3) I currently have in Office Outlook 2 adress-books (with categories set to divide family from friends from colleagues). Is it possible to use multiple contactlist in the X1 (or other WM-devices for that matter)? Or can I put everything in one adressbook and use the categories function to separate business contacts from personal/family-contacts? Which is NOT possible currently with ,y dumb-SE phone. It has neither the categories-separator nor the ability to have multiple adress-books.

Thanks in advance,

EPDM

doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-08 01:57

On 2009-06-08 00:24:30, epdm wrote:

On 2009-03-17 12:45:41, number2 wrote:
Today its going back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Read this with interest.

Anyway. Since You seem to have some experience with both the X1 AND HTC Touch pro now I have a few questions. Ofcourse anyone who knows the answer please respond aswell.

You switched from X1 to HTC. What do you think of Samsung's Omnia? The WM-version (not the Omnia HD). Because I'm torn between either going for the X1 or the Omnia which can be had for a pretty good price nowadays.

I've already read the various reviews about it. So I know it takes great pics. The 600MHz cpu is as fast as a 500MHz cpu (in e.g. HTC Touch), it also has another touch-friendly layer on top of WM6.1, etc...etc...

Now the real questions.

1) In dumb SE-phones whenever an SMS arrives with a number in it. They are treated as phone numbers and you can dial them immediatly without jotting them down, switching to phone-mode and inputting them again. Is there a similar feature in those WM-devices or do you use copy-and-paste. Is there a copy-and-paste function at all in X1 or other WM devices?

2) Can the LED-light be used as a flash (on X1 I guess because the HTC doesn't have a LED)? I previously had a K750i (and currently a K550i) and I absolutely NEED that light sometimes. If someone knows whether this is also possible on the omnia (which does have a LED-flash) also let me know please?

3) I currently have in Office Outlook 2 adress-books (with categories set to divide family from friends from colleagues). Is it possible to use multiple contactlist in the X1 (or other WM-devices for that matter)? Or can I put everything in one adressbook and use the categories function to separate business contacts from personal/family-contacts? Which is NOT possible currently with ,y dumb-SE phone. It has neither the categories-separator nor the ability to have multiple adress-books.

Thanks in advance,

EPDM

1) Yes, there's copy'n paste.
The number in sms or note can be dialed instantly.

2) Yes, with 3rd party free app.
But it cannot be used for too long - there are cases of melting leds, led misplacement and vibrator - damage.

3) AFAIK no categories/folders in contacts.
But the VIEW can be filtered by name, company and last viewed.
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2009-06-08 01:01 ]
a w a r e
djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-06-08 07:16
number2,
I find the speaker of x1i to be better than touch pro.
Xperia T + N 96

R.I.P Desire
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-08 10:47
#3) Yes, contacts can be organized into user-defined categories. This is a standard feature. So you can define different groups of people. Using call manager software you can have separate call behaviors for each category such as hangup, send an sms, reject to voicemail, etc.

The calendar app also uses these same categories that you create.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-08 09:48 ]
tetouan
G700 Bronze
PM
Posted: 2009-06-08 11:41
thnxs 4 info

This message was posted from a SGH-X660
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-08 13:13

On 2009-06-08 10:47:12, WhyBe wrote:
#3) Yes, contacts can be organized into user-defined categories. This is a standard feature. So you can define different groups of people. Using call manager software you can have separate call behaviors for each category such as hangup, send an sms, reject to voicemail, etc.

The calendar app also uses these same categories that you create.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-08 09:48 ]

So where are they in contacts?
Like user-defined folders?
I can't see it there.
a w a r e
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-09 02:03
When you are creating a contact, there is a field near the bottom that says Categories. Click there and the rest should be self-explanatory.

The call manager part is through third-party software (which works in conjuntion with contacts).
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-09 01:08 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-09 10:29

On 2009-06-09 02:03:42, WhyBe wrote:
When you are creating a contact, there is a field near the bottom that says Categories. Click there and the rest should be self-explanatory.

The call manager part is through third-party software (which works in conjuntion with contacts).
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-09 01:08 ]

Thanks, found that.
a w a r e
epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 01:39
Thanks for the quick replies.

I forgot one question.

In current dumb-SE phones its possible to record an ongoing conversation. Is this also possible on Windows Mobile phones? Or is it possible with a 3rd party application?

Or does certain phones have that (e.g. X1, from it's SE roots, while others don't have it)

Thanks in advance.

EPDM
epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-06-12 01:59

On 2009-06-08 01:57:59, doministry wrote:
[snipped some stuff]

1) Yes, there's copy'n paste.
The number in sms or note can be dialed instantly.

2) Yes, with 3rd party free app.
But it cannot be used for too long - there are cases of melting leds, led misplacement and vibrator - damage.

3) AFAIK no categories/folders in contacts.
But the VIEW can be filtered by name, company and last viewed.
[ This Message was edited by: doministry on 2009-06-08 01:01 ]

With regards to 1).

I am not refering to the telno. that sended the textmessage but to a number written inside a SMS-message or MMS or email for that matter.

Oh does the X1 also have voice dailing? Or the HTC or the Omnia? Or is this a standard feature in WM6.1?

I know I'm asking a lot but these are the things that I take for granted in a "dumb-"SE phone and I want to be sure that a suposedly "Smart-"phone is indeed a step-up.

BTW. Since the Nokia 5800 XPressmusic (or Omnia HD for that matter) is very similar to the upcoming Satio (OS wise that is). How does Symbian OS fares with my feature questions.

1) Can you dial a telno. which is written down in an SMS-message directly?
2) LED-light as flash (this can only be answered when Satio is really out I guess)
3) what with multiple address-books (or does it also have a category field like Outlook/Mobile outlook)
4) Can it record ongoing phone-conversations
5) Voice dialing? (I guess that this should be pretty standard on any smartphone by now)

Again. Thanks in advance.

If at the end it means that I'll stick with another dumb-SE phone for now it'll probably be the C510 since it behaves as much as my current K550i. The only problem is that I'm not very happy with SE's built quality nor their quality control. This is my 2nd K550i (the first one had a daft cam-module and was replaced after 1 day) and 2 days ago I discovered (after a few missed calls) that my vibration doesn't work anymore. It's just that the features in SE's dumbphones are amazing. I mean these 5 questions are thing that I take for granted after the last few SE-cellphones (from T68, T610, K750 & K550). I previously also had a P800 but that was so long ago I can't remember what features it had. Needless to say I didn't have if very long.

Cheers
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-06-12 17:03
epdm

YES you can dial in WM from sms or any text in phone like note etc.
a w a r e
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-06-13 01:19

On 2009-06-12 01:59:08, epdm wrote:
1) Can you dial a telno. which is written down in an SMS-message directly?

Numbers in SMS messages appear as links. So yes, you can dial or email directly from a message.

2) LED-light as flash (this can only be answered when Satio is really out I guess)

There are apps for using the light as a flashlight.

3) what with multiple address-books (or does it also have a category field like Outlook/Mobile outlook)

Yes, there is a category field in contacts.

4) Can it record ongoing phone-conversations

Yes, this is a built-in feature (even though it's buried in the notes app). You also have to use the speaker phone for it to be effective

5) Voice dialing? (I guess that this should be pretty standard on any smartphone by now)

You can purchase Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 which lets you make calls, start programs, listen to SMS, play media files and query your upcoming appointments all by voice. They'll be making a big deal about this on the iPhone 3.0 real soon...
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-06-13 00:27 ]
krazyd007
W595 White
PM
Posted: 2009-07-31 11:05
well i still need to choose between x1 and touch pro
epdm
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2009-09-05 00:29

On 2009-07-31 11:05:50, krazyd007 wrote:
well i still need to choose between x1 and touch pro

It was hard to choose between the X1 or the Omnia. HTC is no option since I read too much of quality issues with it. In fact HTC used to make lot of pocket PC's in the past for other companies and there's always something wrong with their devices. The same with their feature set. They ALWAYS leave out something that all the others (should) have. For instance I looked at the HTC Diamond but decided against it because of horrible battery-life and no LED flash. In fact the only device with LED flash they have is indeed the Touch pro (even their newer devices still lack this). On my K550i I used the LED as a torch much more often then as a flash therefore I want a LED lamp. Between the Touch pro and X1 I'd go for the X1 because o/t better battery and larger screen.

Unfortunatly I kept hearing (and seeing) too many X1 users with cracked cases and paint peeling off. I heard less about problems with the Omnia. So in the end I bought the Omnia.

I haven't regret my decision yet. It's fast, it looks good (IMHO the full black version looks really great), takes great pics (you need to scale them down for the full effect though) and it has a LED light that you can intuitively activate from the home screen. I must say this is my best Windows Mobile device yet.

I would have bought SE Saito (or whatever it's called) but it just takes so ridiculously long. While it's in fact no more than a souped up Xpressmusic 5800.

SE is loosing its loyal customers. First by producing crappy low-quality hardware and then by letting us wait too long for really exciting devices.

aznsaleens7
P1
PM
Posted: 2010-02-12 10:46
Good choice
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi