Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Solved: Faulty K850i camera button

Author Solved: Faulty K850i camera button
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-13 20:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I just thought I post this quickly as a follow up to my story. Two weeks ago the phones keypad did not work. When I pressed the camera button it just turned the phone off and some of the keypad buttons did not work (down d-pad, 2,3 and end call key) So I bought screwdriver and opened it up. I noticed that the camera button was off and not on correctly. The part fell off and it was very small and in 4 parts ( a 3 different metal bits and a golden plastic thingy) I figured out which order they go back on and put them on. They when I put the back cover back on and turned it on, the camera button worked and so did the keypad.

Quite funny that a little part on the side can so easily affect the performance of the keypad. So a simple and cheap fix. So be careful when you decide to open your K850i because using a credit card on the side it is right next to that easily damged camera button.

If you need help in putting the 4 metal parts of the buttons back together, please see my post below with full instructions.

So yeah just thought I'd tell you fellow users about this problem which is so easily caused.

(I'm so happy I fixed mine. )
[ This Message was edited by: adsada on 2010-04-12 19:47 ]
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
K850i_Major
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-03-15 15:02
hey i am having the some problem.. *, 9 and camera ON/OFF are not working...can u plz help me

P.S: i never opened my phone
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-16 19:38
You can get it here:
http://www.seuniverse.com/for[....]_mech_working-instructions-pdf

If you can't put the camera button back together you may just have to buy a new keypad membrane (the actual keypad underneath the plastic one)

Opening up is quite fidily make sure you read through the part of the guide that talks about the removal of the back cover very clearly. It takes a bit of work you sort of had to move it up and down and fiddle the card about along the edge. Then once you get the cover off you have to put the camera button bits back there should be the following small bits:
1.A silver circle
2.A silver square (with a circle cut out)
3.A golden semi-transparent square of plastic (as thin as a sweet rapper)
4.A circle with four things sicking out of it.

Now firstly place (.4) on the camera button base (there is a little in grave in the base which holds this part well.)

Then on top of that place the silver circle (.1) now get the silver square (.2) and put the golden plastic (.3) inside it. Now place this on top of what you already have and centre it so that the silver circle can be seen through the golden plastic and through the hole on the sliver square (.2) making the silver circle look golden. Now place the cover back on (carefully without knocking off the layers of the camera button you've just made this happened to me )

Good luck, remember the pieces listed above are very small and may fall out while your trying to take it off so make sure you have a clean table with good light so you can see if any fall off (that happened to me but luckily there was a bit tap which they stuck too otherwise I would have lost them.

Make sure you touch something metal connected to the ground, e.g a radiatior Electrostatic damage before you begin

Lastly here is a picture of what the camera button should look like when all the layers are complete:
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-04 07:17
I need help urgently. I have lost the camera button base (4. ). What can be done now. Despite of all precaution, it flied of the phone. Such a fool of me. I should not open it.
ESATO Most Loved & Best Asian Member MMX & MMIX
February : Shoot The MUSIC
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-06 18:40
Go back to the place where you took it apart and get a lamp shine it around the area on the floor, chair, table etc. I lost mine too but luckly I took it apart on the kitchen table where there was dry-ish honey on the table, it lightly stuck to it. If you cannot find it then experiment, try putting the rest of the camera button on. If this does not work, you may need to buy a whole new keypad. Sorry man, that sucks.

When you said 'flied' what did you mean? Did you mean fried? Because that's very unlikely so maybe it's something else, does your phone still turn on?

Good luck
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-07 06:42
I have opened it on my bed and after i lost it, i have checked everywhere- on bed, on floor. But no result. flied off means fly off.
Yeah my phone is working very well except i cannot take pic with camera button. Though i can start/stop the camera by on/off button.
I have to take pic with on screen button which dont focus well.
Thanks anyway.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-08 10:54
After a little bit of work, i manage to put all 3 parts back to position and now my camera click button is working but it has got very sensitive. Like touch buttons. Now to focus, i have to put the finger on button and exert very less pressure. May be 1/10 force. If you give little more press, it would snap as soon as focusing done.

I believe, whatever happens is happening for good. May be now in twilight mode, i will have less hand shake, as previously while pressing the button, i got my hands shake resulting blurry pic. :)
Anyway, finally i got it work. :)
adsada
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-08 18:06

On 2009-04-08 10:54:08, ceaser2008 wrote:
After a little bit of work, i manage to put all 3 parts back to position and now my camera click button is working but it has got very sensitive. Like touch buttons. Now to focus, i have to put the finger on button and exert very less pressure. May be 1/10 force. If you give little more press, it would snap as soon as focusing done.

I believe, whatever happens is happening for good. May be now in twilight mode, i will have less hand shake, as previously while pressing the button, i got my hands shake resulting blurry pic. :)
Anyway, finally i got it work. :)

Well done It might get quite annoying but at least it's fixed. I might one day open up my phone again and try putting different parts of the button on to see what happens, if I get really really board.

I please for you anyhow.
A-D-S-A-D-A
Xperia S
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-09 06:14
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-15 12:00
GOOD NEWS

For last two days, when i use camera and pressed the button for focus, phone gets off, not restarted. I even missed a beautiful snap in that. also i noticed that by merely touching the top side, near shutdown button, the phone gets off.
so i decided to open and place the 3 parts again. While putting the silver with circle cut has disappear just like previously the base disappeared. I again checked everything. Then i doubt that it might be behind flash and sensor unit, so i looked carefully and it was there. What a relief. Then i thought to look further for that lost camera base. Further down when i observed closely, i saw a notch was there. I jumped in excitement. I took that out carefully and it was that. Now i placed every thing very carefully back and packed the phone. Now it is working nice and fine.
Thank god. Thanks adsada.
[ This Message was edited by: ceaser2008 on 2009-04-15 11:40 ]
glorfingal
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-04-15 12:18
@caesar2008 - I reckon you ought to start thinking about a new keypad
membrane to fix your button problem once and for all ....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
ceaser2008
Aino White
PM
Posted: 2009-04-15 12:35
No i didnt think of replacing the whole keypad, though it was suggested by adsada. Anyway, now everything is fine, thank god. Thanks adsada
[ This Message was edited by: ceaser2008 on 2009-04-15 11:39 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi