Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson launches Entertainment Unlimited

Author Sony Ericsson launches Entertainment Unlimited
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 09:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Will we be able to run java games with .jar on the phone?
The best mobile phone brand died with Sony Ericsson's death. Shame on you Sony for killing it! And, of course, for ruining the Xperia brand...
Mediar's Site
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 09:33
Umm..Any patents on the SF platform is enough to put Nokia behind bars. I am sure SE has a million patents around UIQ too which they donated for the foundation. So what are you trying to infer??
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 11:36
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_mwc_09-review-315.php

GSMArena's overview of the new SE phones at MWC 2009. More details on the Idou & the W995. New video shows how fast the Idou UI might be.
Raiderski
C901 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 12:10

On 2009-02-16 09:33:30, mediar wrote:

yes, of course
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 12:20

On 2009-02-16 09:33:48, se_dude wrote:
Umm..Any patents on the SF platform is enough to put Nokia behind bars. I am sure SE has a million patents around UIQ too which they donated for the foundation. So what are you trying to infer??

Hey, How is this - for a change we are 'fighting' for the same cause
OK. Let me help you a bit with all this Nokia and 'Christmas Father' Symbian-Foundation phenomenon. Nokia wants to keep pretty quiet regarding to the patents issue, but what is fair is fair Here we go:
The only and absolute reason Nokia was so 'kind' to buy and donate Symbian to the World was: MONEY ! Yes M.O.N.E.Y They never realized the S60 OS (Nokia's Symbian flavor) will grow so big so quickly. At first they were happy to pay Symbian a bit for each and every s60 sold after all it did not amount to much. As time went by and the s60 took the market by storm, Nokia ended up paying Symbian more then the whole of Symbian company was worth. Of course Nokia made a offer to by Symbian altogether but Symbian did not 'play along' initially. (After all they were receiving money from Nokia, buy or not buy - and lots of it ) Eventually Nokia flushed Symbian with cash but as part off the deal Nokia had to make Symbian open for all. This was a very noble idea of Symbian, considering whom they were up against. All Symbian employees will become Nokia workers (which they eventually did at the end of last month). Now Nokia should have had a huge problem. They could not get a single cent in royalties from the s60 OS (And the ‘new’ Symbian is mostly just that - S60) But in a brilliant move last year, Nokia quietly went ahead and patented just about everything they could patent regarding the making of a cell phone which is capable of running the S60 OS. (Some patents Nokia took are extremely stupid sounding indeed, but it was all part of the plan). Shortly after that the SF was created and Nokia become the 'One Company Help the World - Christmas Father'. Nice PR for them and all were happy (Well not exactly all). Nokia give the OS for free to anyone BUT if you are making a device to run the OS one quickly realizes Ooops . . . Not so easy Of course UIQ devices have manufacturing patents too but who wants to build them? First was Samsung, then LG and now SE to agree to Nokia's conditions. You know, this reminds me of Garmin Navigation devices. The software is absolutely free, but you MUST buy a Garmin device to run the software on . That what SF worked on as 'their' OS is nothing more then a evolution of the S60 OS which Nokia should have done anyway. Most programs which run on my N95 8gig do just fine on the S60 touch (minus the touch off course). I want for all to know this and realize, Nokia are not the benevolent company it out to be.
I hope this clarifies the issue a bit
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
mediar
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 19:21
I really hate nokia, because of UIQ's death.

On 2009-02-16 12:10:47, Raiderski wrote:

yes, of course

Really nice to hear! So this definitely will be my next phone.

EDIT - is there any information for the video capturing? I'm sure that it will be VGA.

[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2009-02-16 20:11 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-17 02:00
Well, the latest s60 touch (as endorsed by the symbian foundation and already implemented) allowes for a video recording resolution of 1280x720 (16x9 wide screen). I belive Samsung are bringing a device with this specs out shortly. For a device which will be released close to christmas, I expect nothing less. There you have it
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 02:54
October launch guys. Btw, talking so much about release dates.look at the N97. Announced 2nd dec and released in june/july. 7/8 months. So...
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 09:23

On 2009-02-16 19:21:52, mediar wrote:
I really hate nokia, because of UIQ's death.

On 2009-02-16 12:10:47, Raiderski wrote:

yes, of course

Really nice to hear! So this definitely will be my next phone.

EDIT - is there any information for the video capturing? I'm sure that it will be VGA.

[ This Message was edited by: mediar on 2009-02-16 20:11 ]

I also believe it will do so, or even reaches omnia HD level (HD) but the hardware limitation could hamper that, since i can't think of any platform which can do HD video rec. since the fastest Symbian supported CPU is OMAP3 which maxes at 720x480 pixels. in Omnia HD's case i think they used a specialized CPU which enables them for implementing HD video possible
10 years at Esato
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 09:37
Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) today announced its U500 mobile platform, a next generation architecture with a triple processor solution and a powerful multimedia subsystem, enabling new multimedia functionality and advanced multitasking capabilities. The U500 will not only pave the way for new consumer services, but also improve the usability and quality of existing multimedia services.

Robert Puskaric, head of Ericsson's mobile platforms business, says: "The U500 is a powerful multimedia platform with performance, graphics and usability, more resembling a mobile computer than today's mobile phones. With the U500 platform Ericsson will keep its world leading position within the multimedia mass market for years to come."

The U500 mobile platform is a response to the rapidly growing demand for advanced multimedia features and services requiring enhanced user experience. Designed for mass market mobile devices, the U500 is capable of groundbreaking features such as high quality camcorder, 12 Mpix camera, WVGA displays, advanced 3D gaming and 3D user interface, CD quality audio performance and high resolution video for a true mobile TV experience.

The Ericsson U500 mobile platform combines raw power through the implementation of three ARM11 CPUs and hardware accelerators, with state-of-the-art platform architecture through the integration of the digital baseband and an advanced multimedia companion chip into a single-die processor. The result is a powerful multimedia platform that is smaller and more cost efficient than what is currently available.

The advanced graphics capabilities available in the U500 are enabled through the implementation of ARM Mali200 GPU, a programmable, OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics processor producing fast, high quality graphics with the low power consumption required for a handheld device.

The U500 will be commercially available in the first half of 2009

Ahem.
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-17 09:40
Looks like we found the processor! good work
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 10:44

On 2009-02-17 09:40:56, yea g wrote:
Looks like we found the processor! good work

Well it's going to be this platform for sure not OMAP3. thanks

But there's no word for video recording, i guess this would max at WVGA. hoping for HD video - that is to totally obliterate nokia
10 years at Esato
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 11:02
Ah well. Heres another.
http://news.prnewswire.com/Di[....]y/02-16-2009/0004972700&EDATE=

ST-Ericsson today announced it will demonstrate the world's first Symmetric Multi Processing (SMP)-enabled mobile platform running on Symbian OS(TM) at a private event, at Mobile World Congress, Barcelona. The technological breakthrough is the first of its kind and is based on the ARM(R) Cortex(TM)-A9 multicore processor, which represents a significant leap from previous generations of baseband/application processor architectures by providing unprecedented levels of performance and power efficiency. With the ST-Ericsson mobile platform, Symbian OS will be capable of running more applications, more effectively, while also reducing overall power consumption.

The ubiquitous availability of high-speed Internet access is fuelling a growing demand for PC-like speeds on mobile terminals, which in turn signals the need for improved computing performance. ST-Ericsson's new family of system-on-chip is capable of SMP which allows different processes to be split among several processors based on performance and power requirements. For example, a device running multiple applications simultaneously can spread applications across different processors, while individual computer-intensive applications can also exploit multiprocessing by means of software multi-threading, a well-known technique used for PC's and high-performance computing.
gtr83
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 14:16
That article with the monster processor's specs sounds a lot like an introduction to Idou.
Nokia 3520 > 6600 > W800i > W890i > C702 > C905 > BB 9500 > Samsung INNOV8
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-17 15:17
So all these thing are merely speculations. it's better for us not to expect too much until the official announcement finally kicks off. all we can do is to pray hard
10 years at Esato
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi