Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson launches Entertainment Unlimited

Author Sony Ericsson launches Entertainment Unlimited
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2009-02-15 20:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
15 February 2009

Entertainment Unlimited builds on Sony Ericsson’s leadership in music, imaging, gaming, content services, and applications to deliver unlimited opportunities for consumers to share experiences.

Barcelona, February 15, 2009 – Sony Ericsson today unveiled the next step in its evolution. The Entertainment Unlimited consumer proposition is the pinnacle of what the company has been working towards since the start of the joint venture in 2001 – the true fusion of communication and entertainment.

Bringing together rich content, unique applications and best in class entertainment experiences, the new consumer proposition is based around three key promises:

Uniting best in class entertainment experiences into one offering such as the Walkman™ music experience, the Cyber-shot imaging experience, Java gaming and messaging integrated with services and applications.

Broadening entertainment experiences by seamlessly integrating the mobile phone into other devices in the home letting consumers share and enjoy top quality entertainment content through a variety of channels including TV, PC and Hifi systems.

Fusing communication with entertainment by removing barriers and offering unlimited sharing opportunities, multiplying the value of people’s entertainment experiences through a host of innovative web applications and Sony Ericsson’s unique Play Now offering.

Sony Ericsson is unveiling the W995 Walkman™ phone at Mobile World Congress offering the most complete communication entertainment package to date. The launch of this phone exemplifies the excellence that Sony Ericsson has achieved in both the music and imaging categories and enables the evolution into Entertainment Unlimited. The company is also showing a mobile phone under the concept name Idou* giving a glimpse of one of a number of projects that will be launched this year under the umbrella of Entertainment Unlimited.

“Entertainment Unlimited lets us reinforce our position as THE communication entertainment brand,” said Lennard Hoornik Head of Global Marketing and Vice President at Sony Ericsson. “Everything that we have done to date has brought us to this point - we created the music phone category in 2005 selling over 100 million Walkman™ phones and we are now ready to unveil the next chapter in the evolution of the company - Entertainment Unlimited - giving consumers unlimited opportunities to share their entertainment experiences.”

Idou encapsulates the future of mobile entertainment in the palm of your hand delivering visual communication like never before.

Capture moments, talk through pictures and share all your experiences like never before with the 12.1 megapixel camera, intuitive touch features and Xenon flash. Tap directly into your favourite videos and tracks with the full-touch media menu and feast your eyes on movies, TV-series and video clips in true 16:9 widescreen format. Based on what will become the Symbian Foundation operating system, thousands of applications are available online letting you install new applications and download exciting content from PlayNow™ to make the Idou truly yours.

Dick Komiyama, President, Sony Ericsson said, "Entertainment Unlimited is at the core of Sony Ericsson's philosophy, building on the strength of our great entertainment assets such as Walkman and Cyber-shot phones and our unique service and applications integration. Many of the strategic initiatives we've announced in the past year have laid the internal framework to launch this new consumer proposition to the market and Sony Ericsson is now ready to drive the next wave of market development with Entertainment Unlimited."

Idou will be available 2nd Half of 2009.

*”Idou” is a concept name for this phone and not the final name under which the product will be marketed to the public.

[ This Message was edited by: tranced on 2009-02-16 12:38 ]
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-15 21:20
FINALLY SE has decided to get on the s60 bandwagon Yes, I know they are late - but better late then never. If this camera chip is the one I think it is, then it should have HD video recording too Now lets see if they can bring it out before christmas and without any bugs Huh, Nokia once again, must be smiling all the way to the back. While Symbian is pretty much 'free', the s60 touch is full of all sorts of nokia patents ! I just hope we don't witness a second Micro$oft in the making.
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2009-02-15 21:56
Yeah im worried a bit bout that as well. Also hmm does this mean we will be getting less and less different phones and start getting more monster phones that are both walkman and cybershot? I do hope so. Also lol stupid but imagine a walkshot or a cyberman phone XD
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-02-15 22:59
Or a Cyber-Walk.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this Media Go works. I too think we will be seeing less phones but with more specs. They as good as said that in their 'Entertainment Unlimited' briefing.
echo.shane
Xperia X10 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-15 23:27
is this a demo tour video http://www.sonyericsson.com/idou/ . Its so impressive it is or not it reminds me of the k750 demo tour, the most impressive one.
Shane Bygrave - Photographer.Designer.Artist

I Memorable Moments T230, T68i, K310, P1i
I Xperia X10 with 2.3.3
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 00:20
xperia might also belong to this class. since it is also a convergence-focused series. idou stole the day-1 of MWC imo. 12mp is simply irresistible
10 years at Esato
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 00:59

On 2009-02-16 00:20:56, razec wrote:
xperia might also belong to this class. since it is also a convergence-focused series. idou stole the day-1 of MWC imo. 12mp is simply irresistible

Day 1 of MWC_2009 doesn't begin officially until tomorrow - but yes put pure focus into their brand - which is about time!

Good start with SE W995a & Idou - but the Idou should have both the 3.5mm headset jack (with Video out using that a la Nokia N-Series phones do) & the FastPort jack as well!

THey speak about removing limitations; but no 3.5mm on a convergence device IS limiting - especially if I wish to hook it up to a Stereo.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 01:44
Well, the cell will only come closer to christmas. Things can change. Let's see how much Nokia will allow SE to 'bend' the rules. The non availability of a 3.5mm jack may be just a bit too much 'bending' on SE's part. Nokia wants to keep things 'in line' for compatibility reasons - suits me .
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 02:36

On 2009-02-16 01:44:58, mario2004 wrote:
Well, the cell will only come closer to christmas. Things can change. Let's see how much Nokia will allow SE to 'bend' the rules. The non availability of a 3.5mm jack may be just a bit too much 'bending' on SE's part. Nokia wants to keep things 'in line' for compatibility reasons - suits me .

Nokia hasn't even had a phone to compete with innov8

Corolla perhaps? - I bet this will be another rebadged N97 with 8mp camera

Esato Concept thread for 2009

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2009-02-16 01:37 ]
Afrodysiak
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 02:43
So can we expect some Entertainment Unlimited phones for the Mid/low ranges ?
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 03:21
Sorry, but, Entertainment Unlimited sounds like a bunch of marketing fluff to me. What new is it delivering that we don't already have? A phone that plays Java games, music, video and photos...how groundbreaking

SE hasn't even fully supported the X1 and they made similar promises for it.
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 07:25
Well, you are almost 'right'. However you forgot to mention one tiny bit: IS S60 compatible Hmmm . . . how tiny is that . . . We will see
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 08:06

On 2009-02-16 03:21:35, WhyBe wrote:
Sorry, but, Entertainment Unlimited sounds like a bunch of marketing fluff to me. What new is it delivering that we don't already have? A phone that plays Java games, music, video and photos...how groundbreaking

SE hasn't even fully supported the X1 and they made similar promises for it.

Well this is the first phone from that would have me putting aside my iPhone. Nice work from , I hope Play now is supported in all countries that iTunes works in and that they get some good Apps.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
NoroBiik
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2009-02-16 08:24

On 2009-02-15 23:27:50, echo.shane wrote:
is this a demo tour video http://www.sonyericsson.com/idou/ . Its so impressive it is or not it reminds me of the k750 demo tour, the most impressive one.

Beat me to it

GSMArena article on the 12megapixel (w/AF & xenon flash), 360x640 pixel 3.5 inch display, Wifi, GPS, 3.6 Mbps HSPA, Symbian cutting-edge phone of SE

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_[....]u_turns_into_w995-news-794.php

Specs here :

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_idou-2683.php
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-02-16 08:33
Nokia hasn't even had a phone to compete with innov8

Corolla perhaps? - I bet this will be another rebadged N97 with 8mp camera

Esato Concept thread for 2009

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2009-02-16 01:37 ]
[/quote]

Correct . The Innov8, it too uses the S60 OS! Because of patents around the manufacturing of a device which uses the S60 OS (Nokia made last year the OS itself free thru the Symbian Foundation), Nokia receives a share with each and every Innov8 sold by Samsung! Nokia is happy if Innov8 is selling well, therefore do not really care to compete against it. The same goes for LG and now SE Nokia played their cards very well. Now is only Motorola left without a S60 device. Let’s hope, they too will come to their senses before the year is over .
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi