Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Xperia Or Touch HD

Previous  1234  Next
Author Xperia Or Touch HD
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 12:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If Microsoft doesn't deliver on 6.5 and 7, then all of this WM stuff is going to be extinct in a few years. We'll only be choosing between the fruity phones.

TouchPro, Touch HD, X1, Diamond are all versions of the same phone if you ask me.

There's no doubt the X1 is a well-liked phone, but the fruit phone manufacturers are putting a serious hurting on the rest of the smartphone industry. and Microsoft better get their stuff together and come out fighting. And they're not going to win with just only superior hardware. We've seen this time and time again...
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 13:42
The trouble with "superior hardware" is it needs superior software to make it useful, and useable, and that's just not been happening. It's not going to happen with 6.5 either, that's just 6.1 with a new Today screen as far as I can make out.

HTC don't help themselves by not providing proper drivers in their devices, crippling their big screens and high-megapixel cameras with shoddy video quality that near enough ruins both.

The feature lists are always as long as your arm on all these WM phones, but not one of them actually matches the competition on performance or execution.
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-14 16:39

On 2009-05-14 13:42:56, Boinng wrote:
The trouble with "superior hardware" is it needs superior software to make it useful, and useable, and that's just not been happening. It's not going to happen with 6.5 either, that's just 6.1 with a new Today screen as far as I can make out.

HTC don't help themselves by not providing proper drivers in their devices, crippling their big screens and high-megapixel cameras with shoddy video quality that near enough ruins both.

The feature lists are always as long as your arm on all these WM phones, but not one of them actually matches the competition on performance or execution.

Funny... Which applications "not actually matches the competition on performance or execution."??
And which competition you mean?

WM offers the most advanced functionality available on smartphones,
yet only little percent of users really utilizes that.
This is the level uncomparable in some cases with other solutions.
90% are focused on user interface.
Which of course matters especially on market sales reality, where people mostly look at nice and fancy things. With games and videos....
And of course good UI helps.

But this has little to do with real functionality.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 16:46

On 2009-05-14 16:39:39, doministry wrote:

Have you ever asked yourself why that is?
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-14 16:49

On 2009-05-14 16:46:53, Boinng wrote:

On 2009-05-14 16:39:39, doministry wrote:

Have you ever asked yourself why that is?

Because most people don't care - yet.
They're too lazy or too busy to use it.
Or don't really need it.

But - so what??
a w a r e
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 17:06
So, it's a dated and irrelevant argument for a failed platform. The smartphone market is the fastest growing segment of the whole mobile industry, everyone (including SE) is desperately trying to increase their share of it using one or more operating systems, and yet you'd argue that of all the smartphone OS's, the one with the declining market share is the most "advanced", and the fact that only a small minority of its users even know how to use it to the full is proof of that? I don't think so. That doesn't quite smell right, does it?

The proliferation and success of application stores on other platforms (including Blackberry and Android) is proof that given the right tools, most users will happily find new ways of using their smartphones and extend their functionality to the max. It's only in the unhappy world of Windows Mobile that these smartphone features are seen as some kind of cult practice for the "advanced" minority.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-14 16:07 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 17:51
Well, I believe that WM is the most advanced, but fails in the ever-important user-experience. The fruit phones handle their fewer features really well while WM hobbles along with it's superior features.

WM VS others:
No clear app availability (you must search XDA and Google) VS App store
Multitasking VS very smooth and quick performance of one app
"Tweak to get it how you like it" VS "works great out of box"
Non-intuitive VS intuitive
Need brains to use VS idiot proof

None of this list has anything to do with hardware superiority.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-05-14 16:55 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 18:20
I think WM's claim to be "advanced" is pretty tenuous. Most of the technology in WM, particularly the display tech for example, is quite ancient now and well behind most of the competition. Its memory management is fairly poor, and its Windows-like registry structure is an achilles heel, leading to devices "silting up" and slowing down over time until the inevitable hard-reset... really it's a pretty old fashioned and bloated OS.

But hey, at least it's got that UI going for it, right? Oh, no, wait..

Basically it comes down to multitasking, and a motley selection of random features that aren't quite supported by some of the competition yet, but will be within a matter of weeks/months. And not everyone accepts that multitasking = better in a mobile device.
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 20:07

On 2009-05-14 18:20:56, Boinng wrote:
...Basically it comes down to multitasking, and a motley selection of random features that aren't quite supported by some of the competition yet,...

What might those be?
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 20:42
MMS, certain Bluetooth functions, video recording, you know the list

But they're simply bolt-on features that some competitors have already, and others are adding as we speak. None of them are unique to Windows Mobile or beyond the capabilities of any other OS going forward.
number2
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-14 21:02
Its good to stir things up now and then, gets folk thinking!
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 01:31

On 2009-05-14 20:42:23, Boinng wrote:

But they're simply bolt-on features that some competitors have already, and others are adding as we speak. None of them are unique to Windows Mobile or beyond the capabilities of any other OS going forward.

We're saying the same thing but on opposite sides of the fence

I think what separates phones now is how well it works and how well it brings all of it's features together (user-experience). Hardware superiority can only exist for a few months until some better technology comes along. But, a great user-experience and ecosystem isn't going to be surpassed by a phone that has a 25MP camera with 2GB RAM, a QuadCore Snapdragon and a crappy user-experience.

I think the upcoming WM OS'es will be great IMO. Especially WM7. The Tell Me technology seems cool.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-05-15 01:17 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-15 02:37

On 2009-05-15 01:31:49, WhyBe wrote:

On 2009-05-14 20:42:23, Boinng wrote:

We're saying the same thing but on opposite sides of the fence

I think what separates phones now is how well it works and how well it brings all of it's features together (user-experience). Hardware superiority can only exist for a few months until some better technology comes along. But, a great user-experience and ecosystem isn't going to be surpassed by a phone that has a 25MP camera with 2GB RAM, a QuadCore Snapdragon and a crappy user-experience.

I think the upcoming WM OS'es will be great IMO. Especially WM7. The Tell Me technology seems cool.
[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2009-05-15 01:17 ]

Yes, especially when Windows 7 seems to be really good!
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-15 02:40
I'm thinking WM6.5 will be the last of the dinosaurs...

Now if could just survive long enough to produce a phone that could run WM7
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-15 02:44

On 2009-05-14 17:06:00, Boinng wrote:
So, it's a dated and irrelevant argument for a failed platform. The smartphone market is the fastest growing segment of the whole mobile industry, everyone (including SE) is desperately trying to increase their share of it using one or more operating systems, and yet you'd argue that of all the smartphone OS's, the one with the declining market share is the most "advanced", and the fact that only a small minority of its users even know how to use it to the full is proof of that? I don't think so. That doesn't quite smell right, does it?

The proliferation and success of application stores on other platforms (including Blackberry and Android) is proof that given the right tools, most users will happily find new ways of using their smartphones and extend their functionality to the max. It's only in the unhappy world of Windows Mobile that these smartphone features are seen as some kind of cult practice for the "advanced" minority.
[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2009-05-14 16:07 ]

Failed platform? WM?
You made me laugh again.
I agree - smartphones market develops great.
But you don't really seem to get my point.

As for now - just look what apps are loaded the most, from app stores, and you'll see what I mean. What unhappy world of WM?
Man you are living on another planet.
Just read some statistics regarding WM mobile apps market.

P.S. Even recently simple research showed that as WM tends to inspire advanced functionality, products like iPhone rather inspire fun and play.
a w a r e
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi