Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > X1, Bold or iPhone 3g?

123  Next
Author X1, Bold or iPhone 3g?
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 11:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Right I have a upgrade coming up and need some opinions!!

Basically I cant decide between the X1, Blackberry Bold or iPhone 3g. I currently have a iPhone 2g which I have no complaints about but I dont know whether getting a 3g will be alittle samey.

Just want people opinions really on which is the better all rounder. I dont have any really prefs on what a phone does......camera, mp3's, text, call all the normally bits.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

James
Formerly Known As SEP990i
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 11:47
Presumably you have the 2.2 software on your 2G iPhone, so the 3G will be VERY samey - you'd really only gain 3G data (assuming you're in a decent coverage area) and the GPS, which is a nice thing to have, but whether it's worth blowing your upgrade on is another thing.

Everyone here will tell you to get an X1, since this is an SE forum... it is the absolute opposite of the iPhone in many ways so might be nice to have for contrast, and for some of the extra functionality... I bet you go back to the iPhone more often than not, though
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 11:50
I believe Dogmann has owned all three, so i would quiz him for an unbiased opinion on the positives and negatives of each
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 11:51
well, I have 2 out of 3 (which according to meatloaf ain't bad!), and while I do love WM, I have to agree that I still use my iphone more than my X1

actually, I'm giving thought to changing the X1 for a HD, which maybe another one for consideration by you?
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 11:57
I would go for the X1. I prefer SE anyway plus the X1 is a sexy all in one device does everything you need in one amazing package. Iphone features are poor in my opinion and i dont like Blackberry designs. X1 all the way.
Phone?? What phone??
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 12:02
Hi!

I am using a Bold and a HTC Touch HD!

I like WM a lot too but I do like the Bold for it's ease of email.

Screen on the HD is excellent and I can do everything without using the stylus.

Ofiaich

gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 12:02
Are you a big texter? If you are, the Bold's a no-brainer.

Otherwise, I'd be equally happy with an X1 or the iPhone3G.
Satio, X1, P1i, HTC Hero, Blokia N900, N97 mini, N95-2, Crackberry Curve 8900 (corporate)
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 13:50
Thank you for everyones replies. I know the only person who can actually decide which one to have is myself but I do like hearing pro's and con's from other users.

I do like the iPhone, I think it is an amazing phone but going for the 3g would seem like im blowing my upgrade really. I think I will do alittle research into the X1 and Bold and see which comes out on top for myself. I am a SE fan really so the X1 always seems to shine through as did the P990i and P1i. Only thing putting me off the BB option is when BB first came to the scene I had one through work for 6 months and was very disappointed. I know obviously things would have changed but still cant shake the fact that it wasnt what I thought it was going to be.

Right im off to have a think about things and I will post back here with my final choice.

Thanks again for all the replies. Can always count on Esato for some good replies.

James
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 13:56
One last pause for thought - if you really like your iPhone, could you put up with it for another six months? I'm just thinking, you know Apple will be announcing the next generation of iPhone soon enough, to supercede the 3G (and doubtless improve on the screen etc..) - how are you going to feel if you go for the X1 or Bold now, get locked into another 18 month deal, and then the iPhone Pro gets released a few months later?
vivid white
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 14:00

On 2008-12-16 13:56:09, Boinng wrote:
One last pause for thought - if you really like your iPhone, could you put up with it for another six months? I'm just thinking, you know Apple will be announcing the next generation of iPhone soon enough, to supercede the 3G (and doubtless improve on the screen etc..) - how are you going to feel if you go for the X1 or Bold now, get locked into another 18 month deal, and then the iPhone Pro gets released a few months later?

That is a good point. The only downside to that is if the phone is put back by a couple of months.........for me 6 months already seems like a life time to keep a phone for. I know this probably sounds daft but I do like a change quite often.

Ill have to look into that one.

Another note from me it looks like the BB Storm will also be available to me. If anyone has anything to say on that front!?

Thanks

James
Formerly Known As SEP990i
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 14:05
Well, if it's of any relevance, the Blackberry OS seems to have been ported to WinMo devices through a virtualized interface. Kinda makes the Xperia a wee bit hotter, eh?

Satio, X1, P1i, HTC Hero, Blokia N900, N97 mini, N95-2, Crackberry Curve 8900 (corporate)
dondori
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 14:14
for the HD users: Is the touch screen on the HD better than the one on the X1.
I mean is it more responsive, quicker, smoother, etc?
and for SMS on the HD is the touch keypad responsive and clear for usage (like the i-phone), or is it as annoying as the x1 by using the screen touch keypad (the tiny keypad)?

Thanks
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-16 14:26

On 2008-12-16 14:00:16, SEP990i wrote:
That is a good point. The only downside to that is if the phone is put back by a couple of months.........for me 6 months already seems like a life time to keep a phone for. I know this probably sounds daft but I do like a change quite often.

I do know the feeling - I love my iPhone 3G to bits, but dearly wish it wasn't tied to an 18mth contract (only 15 to go now!)

There's always going to be a better phone just around the corner and I don't usually tell people to wait for it, I just get the impression you're looking at the X1 and the Bold for the sake of it more than anything else, and while the iPhone 3G might not be worth the change, the 4G probably will be!

Another note from me it looks like the BB Storm will also be available to me. If anyone has anything to say on that front!?

The reviews aren't good! I don't think it would impress you too much after the iPhone (no wifi for starters, a killer omission).
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-16 14:45
when i upgraded from the 2g to the 3g my upgrade date didnt change, which is prtty awesome, bring on a new one! haha
Posted from an iPhone
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-17 00:25
Hi!

there are a few threads over at XDA about installing BB on Wm devices, another here

Ofiaich

[ This Message was edited by: ofiaich on 2008-12-17 00:30 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi