Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia N97

123 ... 202122  Next
Author Nokia N97
God2B
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 09:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Details are coming in but it's official. The N97 features a large touchscreen phone with a retail price at around 550 euros ($693.4) excluding subsidies and taxes, phone to ship in H1 2009. The N97 packs a 3.5-inch touchscreen display and QWERTY into this sliding communicator with an "always open" window to favorite internet or social networking sites.

More at engadget.com
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 09:34
Desktop. Laptop. Pocket: The era of the personal Internet dawns with the Nokia N97

Tilting touch display, QWERTY keyboard and personalized home screen - a true mobile computer

Barcelona, Spain - Nokia today unveiled the Nokia N97, the world's most advanced mobile computer, which will transform the way people connect to the Internet and to each other. Designed for the needs of Internet-savvy consumers, the Nokia N97 combines a large 3.5" touch display with a full QWERTY keyboard, providing an 'always open' window to favorite social networking sites and Internet destinations. Nokia's flagship Nseries device introduces leading technology - including multiple sensors, memory, processing power and connection speeds - for people to create a personal Internet and share their 'social location.'

"From the desktop to the laptop and now to your pocket, the Nokia N97 is the most powerful, multi-sensory mobile computer in existence," said Jonas Geust, Vice President, heading Nokia Nseries. "Together with the Ovi services announced today, the Nokia N97 mobile computer adjusts to the world around us, helping stay connected to the people and things that matter most. With the Nokia N97, Nseries leads the charge in helping to transform the Internet into your Internet".

Sensing your 'So-Lo'
The Nokia N97 introduces the concept of 'social location'. With integrated A-GPS sensors and an electronic compass, the Nokia N97 mobile computer intuitively understands where it is. The Nokia N97 makes it easy to update social networks automatically with real-time information, giving approved friends the ability to update their 'status' and share their 'social location' as well as related pictures or videos.

Widescreen - Internet and entertainment
The home screen of the Nokia N97 mobile computer features the people, content and media that matter the most. Friends, social networks and news are available by simply touching the home screen. The 16:9 widescreen display can be fully personalized with frequently updated widgets of favorite web services and social networking sites. The Nokia N97 is also perfectly suited for browsing the web, streaming Flash videos or playing games. Both the physical QWERTY and virtual touch input ensure efficiency in blogging, chatting, posting, sending texts or emailing.

The Nokia N97 supports up to 48 GB of storage, including 32 GB of on-board memory, expandable with a 16 GB microSD card for music, media and more. This is complemented by excellent music capabilities, full support for the Nokia Music Store and continuous playback time of up to 1.5 days. The Nokia N97 also has a 5-Megapixel camera with high-quality Carl Zeiss optics, 16:9 and DVD quality video capture, and support for services like Share on Ovi for immediate sharing over HSDPA and WLAN.

The Nokia N97 is expected to begin shipping in the first half of 2009 at an estimated retail price of EUR 550 before taxes or subsidies.

For more information and materials on Nokia World 2008 event and announcements, please visit:
http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld
www.nokia.com/press/nokiaworld08
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
soulframe
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 10:28
Great video showing off some of the functions here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-elt8MN3I
P.E.A.C.E (Proper Education Always Corrects Errors)
www.davidicke.com
www.infowars.com
www.prisonplanet.com
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 10:31
What on EARTH has gone wrong with Nokia? Great device, but this should be the E91, not the N97, the N9x series (apart from the N91) has always been about imaging, look how the N95 shook up the market, all this is going to do is either confuse people or make them buy it because its the N96 replacement.

You kind of get the feeling Nokia are under pressure to release a replacement to the N96 quickly because it was a warmed over N95, but they've improved the wrong things. I know the 5MP camera Nokia use is fantastic, and better than alot of 8MP camera phones, but the public don't care about that, they see 'the bigger the number the better it is', so they'll go elsewhere.
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 10:49
Daedalus85: you're wrong if you are saying all nokia 5mps are fantastic. just look how awful n79/n85 and n96 cameras are. i just hope they have used OMAP chips this time. its a shame that they almost downgrade the great hardware that nokia users have enjoyed since n93-n82. also they really need to be more innovative with their designs. their new flagship looks like a 5800 with n79 colors in a tytn II esque sliding mechanism.

[ This Message was edited by: razec on 2008-12-02 09:51 ]
Mr[NiK]
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:03
the n95 could have always done with a keyboard ! [addsig]
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:12
I'm getting one. I think.
alexho
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:14
the N97 looks attractive but i am not sure whether i wanna get it next year as i have got the X1 now! X1 serve me well and I can read chinese web page on it but I can download software to read chinese on symbian phones though!
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:23
Looks like a cross between the Nokia 5800 and HTC TYTN II.
Good specs.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:29
This is realy exciting! I had a chance to play on a production unit 5800xm a few days ago and although im not a fan of TS i love this new S60v5 UI, its so fresh and the 640x360 res display is amazing. This will not confuse anyone, this is clearly a Nseries, its completely aimed at Multimedia, i realy hope its using a OMAP2430 or OMAP3 chip. By the way Dogmann the Freescale CPU being used in the N79, N85 etc. . .also handles VGA 30FPS video but not as well as the OMAP2420 did with its PowerVR MBX GPU. If i can and thats a big IF il get the N97 late next year.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Alpha Trion
Sony CMD MZ5
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:40
wow this looks some piece of kit, spec wise very good but i think it maybe a bit chunky for my needs. Might be pleasently suprised when/if i see it the flesh though?

I think this is aimed about right though, with the previous N95/N96 all about internet/video/multimedia/connectivity etc this sits nicely as a logical progression.

Think the touchscreen imaging centric phone would be more likely to be seen in an N8* series (xenon flash/non slide qwerty etc) if Nokia are following the trend.

All in all very excited about this new release though
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-12-02 11:54
I like the way it says ships H1 2009. Thats anywhere between 1st Jan and 31st June. Couldnt they have narrowed it down a bit.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
redsaph
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 12:00
Nokia is getting desperate for "MOAR!!!"

Of course, they use Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar which is also used by Sony Cyber-Shot cameras, so when Nokia tries an 8 MP, Nokia will get sued by Sony... WIN!

#2: Nokia N97 has silver and black colors, like SE's first Xperia Win-Mo powered device, X1.

#3:In GSMArena, X1 is rated as the most rates and viewed, so Nokia wants to defeat this title.

#4: Nokia taunted Engadget that they didn't post about this phone -- exactly, it was leaked last month. =P

#5: They do have a 5MP camera which X1 doesn't have. But X1 has greater resolution which is WVGA 800x480 than N97's almost VGA 640x360. X1 is a true WIDESCREEN phone.

#6: Nokia is jealous of SE, Samsung and LG.

#7: I bet my C902 can defeat N97 when taking pictures..

#8: Nokia can't make their own cameras -- only until CIF.. Lol!

#9: HSDPA 3.6MBPS? Puh-leez. Xperia has that speed. Maybe even 7.2MBPS..

#10: And almost N97 is heaver than X1.

#11: N97 has a a 3.5inch screen like an iPhone.

-- What's next? N98, N99, then N100? How stewpeed.

We are a Sony Ericsson family!

[ This Message was edited by: redsaph on 2008-12-02 11:09 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 12:03
Isnt anything new in the features front by Nokia, but a great device all the same. there is also MWC coming up and i hope that the other manufacturers can throw up something as great as Nokia has done so.I hope Nokia, doesnt do an SE and release the N97 too late.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-12-02 12:10

On 2008-12-02 12:00:08, redsaph wrote:
Nokia is getting desperate for "MOAR!!!"

Of course, they use Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar which is also used by Sony Cyber-Shot cameras, so when Nokia tries an 8 MP, Nokia will get sued by Sony... WIN!

#2: Nokia N97 has silver and black colors, like SE's first Xperia Win-Mo powered device, X1.

#3:In GSMArena, X1 is rated as the most rates and viewed, so Nokia wants to defeat this title.

#4: Nokia taunted Engadget that they didn't post about this phone -- exactly, it was leaked last month. =P

#5: They do have a 5MP camera which X1 doesn't have. But X1 has greater resolution which is WVGA 800x480 than N97's almost VGA 640x360. X1 is a true WIDESCREEN phone.

#6: Nokia is jealous of SE, Samsung and LG.

#7: I bet my C902 can defeat N97 when taking pictures..

#8: Nokia can't make their own cameras -- only until CIF.. Lol!

#9: HSDPA 3.6MBPS? Puh-leez. Xperia has that speed. Maybe even 7.2MBPS..

#10: And almost N97 is heaver than X1.

-- What's next? N98, N99, then N100? How stewpeed.

only problem in all that is that windows mobile is uttetr CRAP (IMO)

n97 is an amazing device...Nokia puts SE to shame. SE had the lead on touch screen technology, but now all is lost...they are folowers...
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 202122  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic