Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Lefty Lair - A gathering for left-handers and non-left-handers.

123  Next
Author The Lefty Lair - A gathering for left-handers and non-left-handers.
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-24 15:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
There seem to be a lot of lefties on Esato, as we found out yesterday in the Rumours thread.

So now here you can talk about your problems in daily life, right-handed scissors, pens, screwdrivers...

Have you been a lefty and were forced to write with the right hand?
Do you only write with the left and do everything else right-handed?

I for myself am a full lefty, I even use the mouse on the left side, if I use one (trackpad on the notebook), but I use the right-handed setting and click and double-click with the middle finger.

RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:00
Lefty reporting!

I use my left hand to write, use a screwdriver, chop veg that kind of stuff. Accuracy. Anything that requires power, sport ie tennis i use my right hand. Basically im ambidextrous.

I dont do the mouse thing like you though.. you're a full lefty! Guess i have conditioned myself to doing it with my right hand... (ahem)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:06

You should conduct a poll to sort the lefties out. (I'm a righty btw).
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:10
Whislt i'm thinking about it tin-openers do my head in! I've had to train myself to twizzling the thing with my right hand now as it was far to cack-handed before!
se_love
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:46
I do almost everything with my left hand. The thngs i dont do? Use mouse and throw a ball. Otherwise im totally left handed and damn proud of it!
DentyCracker
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:48
Lefty here as well, but I've learned to use my right hand to do most things, just in case.
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:51
Thanks Xell!

I was about to open the Esato Lefty Lair thread after posting in the rumours section and humbly suggesting the name of our very own corner. A mission statement is what we need but for the time being two aims could suffice:
a) suggesting software and hardware improvements that would make future devices by and other manufacturers more lefty-friendly, hopefully resulting in becoming a champion / leader of the trend.

The hint about the upcoming interface with both-sides screen orientation is an indication that the winds are starting to blow in our sails

b) criticizing any design solutions that are blatantly lefty unfriendly such as the positioning of the fastport connector on newer phones (without disregarding the fact that such a choice was made for stability reasons making it possible to manufacture slimmer handsets).

I hope that these starting points may prove inspiring making the Lefty Lair (glad that the name has caught on!) a lively place for vibrant discussion and fresh ideas.

Cheers!

T100 Icy Blue 850i Golden White T650i Eclipse Black M600i Crystal White
AbuBasim
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 16:58
I noticed that the thread title was not The Lefty Lair - A peaceful gathering for left-handers and non-left-handers. Is this a place where left-handers and right-handers can flame each other?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-24 17:09
I'm coming out of the closet as a lefty too!

However, I do tend to do most things with my right hand, though I'm currently using my left hand for the mouse as I seem to have done something to my right hand. I also play pool left handedly apparently too.

I can write with my right hand, though it is slower and more untidy but can do it, and probably at the speed of my left hand too. However will be just as untidy lol!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-24 17:10

On 2008-11-24 16:58:35, AbuBasim wrote:
I noticed that the thread title was not The Lefty Lair - A peaceful gathering for left-handers and non-left-handers.

I don't want to be sued for copyright infringement.

Cheers mobse, some very good points. I remember my childhood, everything in the household was made for righties as I'm the only lefty amongst grandparents, parents and siblings. It was very difficult, e.g. to open a tincan. But I managed to use the regular opener with the left hand (though it was difficult!)

When I eat something that I have to cut, e.g. a steak, I have the fork in the left hand, stick it into the steak, switch the fork to the right hand, cut out a piece with the knife in my left hand, lay the knife down, switch the fork back and take the piece to my mouth.

Gamer mice are the worst hardware you can get for your PC when it comes to lefty friendlyness. I never saw an "ergonomic" mouse for lefties, why?!
pmerryman
HTC Wildfire S
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 18:02
I throw, with my left hand, but write with my right.
One Day, Men Will Look Back And Say I Gave Birth To The 20th Century.
You have to have a piss in the sea, its the law.
The A-Z of Trusted Traders
[img]http://a-zott.com/images/A-Z
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 18:41
Guess I am lucky... I am holding my mouse with the right hand
My biggest problem is smearing everything when writing. ( ..and lousy handwriting too, but not sure if that is connected with being left handed )

@xell
Maybe because 90-93 % of population would not buy that mouse otherwise

It would be great if we could come up with the precise % of lefties on Esato.

[ This Message was edited by: theos on 2008-11-24 17:46 ]
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 18:44

On 2008-11-24 18:02:05, pmerryman wrote:

Which hand would you use to throw a pen?
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 18:49
I just realized that my left hand always goes first when reaching for >>insert favourite part of your partners body here<<
Angello
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-11-24 18:51

On 2008-11-24 18:44:47, MWEB wrote:

On 2008-11-24 18:02:05, pmerryman wrote:

Which hand would you use to throw a pen?

both?!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi