Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > The Official SE Xperia X1a Thread

Author The Official SE Xperia X1a Thread
asaid01
C702 Speed Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-12 03:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The Official SE Xperia X1a Thread:

Okay, lets start with what we know. The long awaited Xperia is out as of now, but unfortunately lacks 850 MHz UMTS, which is a big must for many forumers here. Especially for those in Canada and suburban-rural areas in the US.

The last press release from SE indicated that on November 3rd, the company will announce a release date; that didn't happen. According to http://blog.se-nse.net/ Sony Ericsson's last press release of 2008 will be Today, November 6th. I like many people are anxiously awaiting the X1a because 3G is a must for a pocket PC device of almost one thousand dollars. I don't know whether the press release will be done in Europe or America, so time zones may be a factor.

Please post in this thread all things related to the X1a (US edition), specifically availability, pricing, and any other specifics that may be important.

Sites to watch:

http://www.inxperia.com/
http://bestnewphones.blogspot.com
http://www.theunwired.net/

The reason I created this thread is that there are around 4 or 5 Xperia threads but none that are specifically related to the US edition. Hopefully we won't have to look at all of them anymore to see the latest news on the US version. If all goes as rumored, we just might have an X1a in our hands before the end of this month, here's hoping.
nycdemons
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-11-12 06:16
yes, i will be watching this because i can't wait to get my hands on the X1a
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-11-12 07:50
according to engadget, it's already been cited in BestBuy inventory computers for a retail price of $799 without contract. No word as to price w/ contract.

moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-11-12 14:23
I think this puts a nail in the coffin of anyone expecting an X1a

via Engadget

note that the press release mentions only X1 and following the short text I quoted, goes on to describe all the same specs, including frequencies, that are in the X1 spec list.

----------
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X1 Available in U.S. for 2008 Holiday Season

Pre-orders for the premium converged device begin today at SonyStyle.com

Research Triangle Park, N.C. – November 12, 2008 – Today, Sony Ericsson North America announced the arrival of the highly anticipated Xperia™ X1 to the U.S. marketplace. The Xperia™ X1 delivers a range of multimedia and communication experiences that have long been coveted and in demand by consumers.

The Xperia X1 will be available unlocked through Sony Electronics and its authorized retailers beginning on "Black Friday," November 28. Pre-orders of the Xperia X1 will be available through the Sony Style Web site at www.sonystyle.com beginning November 13. This premium device will be sold unlocked for the MSRP of $799.99, giving consumers the freedom to choose their own mobile operator and data plan
nycdemons
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-11-13 01:31
Ah well, i guess it's time to start saving money . Sure is expensive though
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-14 03:52

On 2008-11-12 14:23:52, masseur wrote:
I think this puts a nail in the coffin of anyone expecting an X1a

via Engadget

note that the press release mentions only X1 and following the short text I quoted, goes on to describe all the same specs, including frequencies, that are in the X1 spec list.

----------
Sony Ericsson Xperia™ X1 Available in U.S. for 2008 Holiday Season

Pre-orders for the premium converged device begin today at SonyStyle.com

Research Triangle Park, N.C. – November 12, 2008 – Today, Sony Ericsson North America announced the arrival of the highly anticipated Xperia™ X1 to the U.S. marketplace. The Xperia™ X1 delivers a range of multimedia and communication experiences that have long been coveted and in demand by consumers.

The Xperia X1 will be available unlocked through Sony Electronics and its authorized retailers beginning on "Black Friday," November 28. Pre-orders of the Xperia X1 will be available through the Sony Style Web site at http://www.sonystyle.com beginning November 13. This premium device will be sold unlocked for the MSRP of $799.99, giving consumers the freedom to choose their own mobile operator and data plan

I read your link, but, I don't see anything stating there will be no X1a. The frequecies listed near the bottom are X1a frequencies, not X1i. My X1i doesn't have 850MHz.
For what it's worth, I have my X1i now on the AT&T network AND have a 3G signal.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-11-14 17:42
hmmm, I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with some 2nd level SE support guy who insisted the X1 we bought here in UK does have 850mhz

he did mention a couple of times that although the US version is also called X1, it is "localised" but I couldn't get him to elaborate on what he meant in any detail

this doesn't really add anything one way or the other to thie discussion, and I have seen the FCC reports for the X1a, which strangely still says X1 on the housing on the back

so it would seem that my previous thoughts that they could, if they wanted to, sell the "X1a" as "X1" even though some components may not be the same (i.e. the qualcomm chip)

if that ends up being true then I forsee confusion and dissapointment as these devices get mixed up in the second hand market

or, it could be they just didn't have an X1a badge to put on the FCC tested phone and it really will be called X1a, but why then did the press release still say X1 and the US web site still says X1

oh well, I guess US people will see the retail package on the 28th and there will be some more answers I guess
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-11-14 18:13
On my X1 (GENERIC_UK) bought in Norway I am able to select preferred band in the phone settings.

And of course the Norwegian (in english) X1 online user manual mention the X1/X1a versions

Sony Ericsson X1/X1a
X1: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 & UMTS I/II/VIII
X1a: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 & UMTS I/II/V

Another thing: Wasn't the X1 called X1i some time ago? I can't find trace of a X1i on the Sony Ericsson web site any more.

[ This Message was edited by: laffen on 2008-11-14 17:21 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-15 07:27
I don't think the 'a' or 'i' is part of the name commercially. Commercially the phone is just called the X1. So the lack of the added letter does not mean that there aren't different versions.
louod
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-11-27 03:51
just tested a demo unit of x1a @ futuretronics in the houston galleria. the phone is smaller than i imagined. it's also pretty fast, especially when changing to landscape mode. there was no real lag at all when accessing the panels. the only panel that took like 4 secs to boot was the fish panel. other than that, the phone rocks!!!! another annoyance is that no memory card was included!!! the salesman, looked and looked but couldn't find one in the box. also, the price is NOT $799 like was being said. it's actually $899!!! what else, oh, the bond trailer looked awesome on the screen. the screen looks better than the iphone IMHO. so, now i'm pondering whether to dish out $900 for the phone or wait. i definitely can afford the phone, but no memory card: what da hell? i'll prolly wait til the sonysytle store gets the phone next week cuz i believe they offer accidental insurance on the phone. well, if i get one next week, i'll post my review.
firenze_25
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-28 00:01
Does anyone have sample videos that shows the difference between a video recorded with the X1 (VGA @30fps) and another with a X1a (QVGA @24fps)?

[ This Message was edited by: firenze_25 on 2008-11-27 23:02 ]
louod
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-12-03 18:31
does anybody with the x1a experience those cracks near the stylus? wanna know before i decide to buy.
augie7107
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-03-14 13:00
Is this thread dead?
My new X1a is due to arrive 3/17.
Anybody still use this thread or are we only on the X1 thread?
augie7107
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-05-27 04:12
two and a half months with no replies.

I guess this thread is dead.

Can a moderator close it, maybe?
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-05-27 11:05
Just probably because X1 thread is 500 pages...

My X1 is used from 1st January - no cracks.
Just the navigator around optic. joyst. peels off.
a w a r e
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi