Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > "UIQ is going nowhere, Sony Ericsson are done with it"

123 ... 91011  Next
Author "UIQ is going nowhere, Sony Ericsson are done with it"
indup
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 18:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
courtesy gsm arena.

"Sony Ericsson doomed the Symbian UIQ platform by publicly stating at the Symbian Smartphone Show in London that "UIQ didn't attract the operator, manufacturer or consumer interest needed to stop it from failing".

The other shareholder, Motorola, didn't have anything to comment.

Sony Ericsson's Patrick Olson admitted the failure of the UIQ platform to gain a steady fan base among users and a steady business case among network carriers. "Or rather it didn't make it. Another oxbow lake in the mobile industry story. Sad." - as he puts it.
That statement obviously explains the reason why Sony Ericsson cancelled their two latest UIQ smartphones even before they are officially announced. SE are obviously going full steam ahead with the Symbian Foundation, which will stake at providing a unified UI on diverse platforms.

Motorola on the other hand have their own UIQ plans and word is they are going to release more UIQ phones before the new Symbian Foundation's own platform becomes available. Still, they don't have any strategy for the support of the already existing and future handsets (much like SE).

We've always known that UIQ phones don't really have a competitive edge to them, but now it's official. UIQ is already a dead fish. You are welcome to share your condolences in the comments."

i personally quite like uiq. ive only had it on the w960 but i quite like it.

does this mean we need to sell our uiq phones while we can still get a pretty penny for them or does it mean that price will go up as they become rare?
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 18:13
I'll still follow UIQ and be interested to see what moves Moto makes next.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 18:20
they are only trying to hide their own fault on this subject...this has been discussed since yesterday

http://www.uiqblog.com/2008/1[....]device-moto-shows-a-black-z10/

by the way this..."Or rather it didn't make it. Another oxbow lake in the mobile industry story. Sad."

was not said by Patrick Olson, but by Steve from All About Symbian...gsm arena...tss tss...the article is all based on AAS and motosmartphones info from yesterday

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-10-22 17:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-10-22 17:22 ]
Punkid
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 18:47
do u guys think i shud still go for w960/P1?ive been planning on buying one of those
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 18:48
I wouldn't.
wardh
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 19:03
this is so sad. i really like SE and uiq.
xell
W880 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-22 19:13
Well well, G900 seems to be a collector's item now.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 19:31
Hi all,

Well this really is very sad indeed although not really a surprise as for this quote of

"Sony Ericsson's Patrick Olson admitted the failure of the UIQ platform to gain a steady fan base among users and a steady business case among network carriers."

What utter and complete rubbish there WAS a large UIQ fan base up to UIQ 3 and even the first UIQ3 devices had a good take up by the Networks. It was only after what UIQ3 delivered and it's problems that both users and the Networks abandoned UIQ.

IMO it was SE that destroyed UIQ by failing to improve it's specs in line with what other devices were offering and users expected from their devices at the time. The processors used were to slow and a lack of HSDPA worked seriously against UIQ if it had these it would also of enhanced the OS speed and overall performance giving a great user experience IMO.

Shame we will see no new UIQ devices and can but hope that with some of the new Symbian foundations Touchscreen devices we may still see some UIQ influence in them.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-10-22 18:31 ]
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 19:31

On 2008-10-22 18:20:17, ares wrote:
by the way this..."Or rather it didn't make it. Another oxbow lake in the mobile industry story. Sad."

was not said by Patrick Olson, but by Steve from All About Symbian...gsm arena...tss tss...the article is all based on AAS and motosmartphones info from yesterday

The stoned editors at GSMArena probably realized their mistake after reading some strongly worded comments from yours truly.

EDIT:
From UIQBlog:

***comment from nomad out here***
I’ve sent an e-mail to UIQ after SE announced that the platform is dead, asking about updates for older phones and what’s about to surface from the labs.

They’ve answered pretty fast. I’m sharing two small parts of their answer:

“we’re well aware of the strong community behind UIQ. It’s one of the factors that have made it such a fun product to work with, and a lot of staff tend to be fairly regular visitors to many of the sites you mention as well as others.”

“As for future plans, it’s too early to state anything publicly yet. When something surfaces from the labs, we’ll make sure we make big enough noises about it though.”

[ This Message was edited by: gforce23 on 2008-10-22 18:35 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 19:44

On 2008-10-22 19:31:22, Dogmann wrote:
Hi all,

...IMO it was SE that destroyed UIQ by failing to improve it's specs in line with what other devices were offering and users expected from their devices at the time. The processors used were to slow and a lack of HSDPA worked seriously against UIQ if it had these it would also of enhanced the OS speed and overall performance giving a great user experience IMO...

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-10-22 18:31 ]

So true.
Their "we couldn't care less" attitude to the P990i fiasco also accelerated the OS's demise.

“As for future plans, it’s too early to state anything publicly yet. When something surfaces from the labs, we’ll make sure we make big enough noises about it though.”

Translated: When we think about you, when hell freezes over, we will make software and applications available.

[ This Message was edited by: EMS06 on 2008-10-22 18:46 ]
nomad84
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-22 20:13

Translated: When we think about you, when hell freezes over, we will make software and applications available.

You should use a different translator then, it makes no sense what it said to you.
UIQ endorsed SF. SF promised they'll open source codes. So even you could make these softwares and applications available, hopefully pretty soon.
mostly harmless
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-22 20:26
The right move IMO. Move onto a OS that people like using i.e S60
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-10-22 20:30

On 2008-10-22 20:13:51, nomad84 wrote:

You should use a different translator then, it makes no sense what it said to you.
UIQ endorsed SF. SF promised they'll open source codes. So even you could make these softwares and applications available, hopefully pretty soon.

UIQ is not SF and also devices from the new SF OS WILL NOT be UIQ backward compatible. Exactly what are you saying?
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-22 20:32

On 2008-10-22 20:26:17, QVGA wrote:

That's exactly what they're doing.
nomad84
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-10-22 20:35

On 2008-10-22 20:26:17, QVGA wrote:

I prefer UIQ, and a lots of us as well. S60 is a different story, it's developed for use with phone key input only, UIQ is a fully touchscreen based interface. There is only one better phone user interface on the market (comparing with UIQ 3.3): Mac OS X. It's far more intuitive in some basic tasks, and it's much faster, but probably it's because it got a much faster hardware as well.
mostly harmless
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 91011  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic