Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > T-Mobile G1 Discussion - Launch: October 22

Previous  1234  Next
Author T-Mobile G1 Discussion - Launch: October 22
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yeah exactly what i was thinking.... definitely a lack of hype or interest surrounded this and i thought @MWEB's comment was quite fitting ''However deluded sidekick owners might drool over it's sveltness''

I reckon it's gonna mainly appeal to those americans that thought the sidekick was the best thing since sliced bread - and being alone in that thought!

I do think as an operating system it'll pick up interest over the coming months, and i'd be interested to see what it can do differently to anything else thats already out there
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:30
I guess that's it, the OS will develop, but even with Google behind it, it may be difficult for them to build up an eco-system and developer support without at least one or two phones selling well. I can't help thinking the G1 really needed to do more, be more bold, and, well - be a bit sexier.

I guess there's a danger here that Google may fall into the same trap as Microsoft with Windows Mobile - without direct control of the hardware, they're at the mercy of the likes of HTC to come up with phones that people actually want to buy, and on the strength of the G1, they may be in for a bit of a wait before their OS gains any real traction.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:31
Well im not on T Mobile and im not buying one but i thought it was not a bad device from what i seen. The T Mobile store i was in was packed i could not move. Honest. Though i think other networks are trying their best to steer interest away from the iphone. Though i know the iphone has a great interface and its popular its features are rubbish and its not what everyone wants. The G1 does more and in my opinion does everything better than the iphone as does countless other top end phones. I know we are not talking about the iphone but thats what these devices are compared too. The SideKick was rubbish by the way. Also Orange now has a page on its website dedicating some of its high end phones as IPHONE ALTERNATIVES. Someone will bring something out sooner or later beating the iphone trash.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:33
Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but did T-Mobile actually sell the Sidekick outside of the US and A? I really don't see how it would sell anywhere else!
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:39
I'm not the biggest iphone fan, but at least that device is good looking, has a fair amount of aps, and has a whiz-bang UI, none of which you could really say about the G1, which is the mobile equivalent of a sumo wrestler IMO.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 12:47

On 2008-10-31 12:31:00, Bonovox wrote:
Well im not on T Mobile and im not buying one but i thought it was not a bad device from what i seen. The T Mobile store i was in was packed i could not move. Honest. Though i think other networks are trying their best to steer interest away from the iphone. Though i know the iphone has a great interface and its popular its features are rubbish and its not what everyone wants. The G1 does more and in my opinion does everything better than the iphone as does countless other top end phones. I know we are not talking about the iphone but thats what these devices are compared too. The SideKick was rubbish by the way. Also Orange now has a page on its website dedicating some of its high end phones as IPHONE ALTERNATIVES. Someone will bring something out sooner or later beating the iphone trash.

Yeah - you're calling the iPhone trash, and repeating this mantra that the G1 does more, but - well - does it? Where's the Exchange support, for one thing? Coming from Windows Mobile, I went to iPhone partly because of that interface, but also because I can carry on using my office email and calendar (with push support when I want it). The G1 is absolutely useless to me in that regard, in fact it's seriously limited on email other than Gmail (which the iPhone also fully supports).

The iPhone isn't perfect, it has some limitations, but it has some extremely strong features as well (anything to do with multimedia, for one, Exchange support is another, the perfection of that interface another still). Meanwhile, I'm still looking for a single stand-out feature in Android, or the G1. If I wasn't satisfied by the iPhone, why would I choose the G1 over a fully-featured Windows Mobile device like the X1, for example?
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 13:02

On 2008-10-31 12:47:59, Boinng wrote:
If I wasn't satisfied by the iPhone, why would I choose the G1 over a fully-featured Windows Mobile device like the X1, for example?

You wouldn't. I think most of the hype over the G1 comes from the USA because, well... anything is better than the crap they get over there.

I think the android platform has potential and that's where the hype for this began, but at the moment us non-Americans can find a better phone any time we like and the G1 in comparison is a load of crap.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
gforce23
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 15:11
Wally world (Walmart for the uninitiated) has just announced that it will be selling the G1 at stores across the U.S. for $148.

On 2008-10-31 12:06:25, Boinng wrote:
This really seems like a product without a point. Googlemaps? Gmail? They're on other phones already. What's the USP of the G1, exactly?

Push GMail.
They are probably trying to make Android the Linux-equivalent of the mobile world with its open source model. It's just that the G1 is a half arsed effort that misses the perfect feature set for business users and isn't sexy (or chic) enough for casual mind-set.
Satio, X1, P1i, HTC Hero, Blokia N900, N97 mini, N95-2, Crackberry Curve 8900 (corporate)
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-10-31 17:48
Is it me or is that screen skewed when extended?
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-11-05 10:52
G1 is jailbroken
LeeG
T610
PM
Posted: 2008-11-05 12:20
Hi All got mine today and its so easy to use and set up, and is super quick! I will be hoping the battery life is better than HTC windows mobile phones. The interface is really easy to use and is very quick to.

GPS is seem to work very well, messaging was a bit strange I had to put a +44 on numbers before I could send.

I have had an iphone and better the user experience is better but not by much at all.

A lot has been said about the style, and i have to admit i like it, but again think the iphone looks better.

The app store is good and most things seem to free at the moment.

I think the G2 and G3 will be even better and whats more as its an open platform the amount of free apps will just continue to grow.

Anyway early days, but happy for now!

karlosperu
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2008-11-08 22:32
Review del GOOGLE G1 ANDROID by PHONEARENA

http://www.phonearena.com/htm[....]e-G1-Review-review-r_2056.html

http://i1.phonearena.com/show[....]Reviews.Images&f=name&id=43149

http://i1.phonearena.com/show[....]Reviews.Images&f=name&id=43155

http://i1.phonearena.com/show[....]Reviews.Images&f=name&id=43157

[ This Message was edited by: giancito on 2008-11-08 21:32 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-11-10 10:58
How do you sync your PC contacts calendar Task Notes etc with this phone?
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
LeeG
T610
PM
Posted: 2008-11-10 16:10
If you have a google account, it does for you and updates as you add new contacts
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-11-10 17:25
It syncs automatically with your Google mail, contacts, calendar etc, but does any of that sync with your PC? More to the point, is there any way to connect the G1 to an Exchange account yet?

I like Googlemail, I use it for my personal mail, but it's no replacement for my work email or the convenience of my work calendar, contacts etc that I can use right in Outlook.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  1234  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic