Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers

Author P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers
Avinash
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2003-02-13 10:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If you get a call from a number not in your contacts list, it allows you to only add the number to a new contact and not to an old one.
Xperia Arc
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-02-17 16:14
-folders for sms, images....
-groups for contacts
-T9,T9,T9
-ability to send several items with bluetooth
-nightvision for communicam
-open envelopes for read messages
-the ability to jump from one thing to another, without closing the ap.
-video recorder
-delivery reports

[ This Message was edited by: arroyootje on 2003-02-19 12:40 ]
plevyadophy
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-03-15 17:01
I have been a keen watcher of the P800's development and am glad to see it on the market. It is by far the best smartphone on the market and by the looks of things will be for a long time.

However, after going through this thread and having had a look at the product, I am a bit reluctant to purchase it - especially at current prices in the UK of between £200 and £400. For me, with its current lackings it is only worth £50 - £100.

Some of the things that I think need correcting for a product that costs so much are as follows:

1. Tegic (T9) added

2. Faxing!!! I mean, hello!! The product is more likely to be marketed towards business professionals. So how on earth they expect such a person to be happy with a product that has no fax ability is beyond me. And this rather silly omission existed in their R380 phone too.

3. Alarm - auto power on. It's mentioned here already. It should be possible to set an alarm, switch the phone off, and for the phone to power on temporarily to sound the alarm and then to switch itself back off again when the alarm has been acknowledged.

A bad error that it can't do that. Especially as my T39 can do it!!

4. Sync - Outlook Express and Lotus Organiser. Not everyone has the high end/more expensive MS Outlook and Lotus Notes. So it should be able to sync with the two more common products. But I guess this is something that can be addressed by a third-party program.

5. Portrait view. This should be an option for everything on the phone, especially the browser. As cool as the Opera browser is, landscape view would be better - at least for some users.

6. High capacity battery. This is something I hope they add to the accessories list. The current battery is laughable if you use bluetooth and GPRS you will have to be charging the thing every day (especially on 1800 mhz frequencies like T-Mobile UK and Orange UK).

And they should make the High Capacity Battery Li-Polymer to keep it as small as possible and because LiIon is no longer the top battery technology.

7. The loudspeaker option is not as good as it should be. Has already been mentioned by others.

8. Only recognising the last 7 digits of a number. Silly!! Once you have entered a number as a contact it should recognise all the digits. There should be no confusion between 0207 765 4321 and 0208 765 4321, especially on a phone that costs so much. Earlier Ericsson phones didn't have this problem so this phone shouldn't.

The phone is amazing but seems to be lacking in some pretty basic areas. Some people have said that folks shouldn't complain and we should be grateful for having the best phone on the market, but my view is that we shouldn't accept it just because it is the best phone on the market because the fact of the matter is that most phones on the market aren't that good anyway so being the best phone shouldnt allow the manufacturers to get away with rather silly flaws.

Fahed_2000
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-15 17:15
tunning the processer and selecting the speed ie 156 or 200 MHZ
Good Shit, Bad Shit, It's all Shit
oferlaor
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-15 19:09
1. Add Undo to pages (particularly contacts).

2. bigger buttons where possible (not itty bitty ones and tons of empty space).

3. Builtin task switching and better resource control (so that I don't have to reboot the unit or use the taskswitcher application to recover memory and close applications).

4. better PC sync software.

5. Opera - why do we need 2 browsers, add WAP support and WAP gateway support to Opera and have one browser.

6. Add Landscape mode for opera.

7. Opera Language support, and builtin font support for extended languages like Hebrew/Arabic... Don't rely on the phone for font support on this.

8. better Opera frame support.

9. Better Javascript support on Opera (particularly openning new windows which tends to happen a few times in opera, instead of once).

10. animated GIFs - use correct timing instead of running all of them at full speed.

11. Email - one alert notification, not one per email (15 emails get you 15 sound alerts!).

12. Add faxing support.

13. Add video recording.

14. Allow video playback to happen when flip is closed too!

15. Support Hotmail!

16. Allow me to mark email messages as read, so they don't cause the icon to appear. Right now I have to delete them (which causes the phone to subsequently delete them from the server too) or read them in order to remove the icon. It was much better on the R380s.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-15 20:09
Quote:

On 2003-03-15 17:01, plevyadophy wrote:
6. High capacity battery. This is something I hope they add to the accessories list. The current battery is laughable if you use bluetooth and GPRS you will have to be charging the thing every day (especially on 1800 mhz frequencies like T-Mobile UK and Orange UK).

And they should make the High Capacity Battery Li-Polymer to keep it as small as possible and because LiIon is no longer the top battery technology.

It is Li-Pol... Ericsson has been using Li-Pol for their premium phones since the T28 days. And yes Li-Ion is old tech nology... tell that to Nokia.

The current battery life is well over ANY pda on the market... don't compare the P800 battery life to a phone if you use it like a PDA.

This message was posted from a P800 with a Frappuccino machine
Unicron
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 08:44
HI all, i downloaded some java games and installed them into the phone but they dont seem to be able to play, all i saw was a small logo on the top right corner with "starting midlet" and thats all abt it. Any comments or help?

[ This Message was edited by: Unicron on 2003-03-23 07:45 ]
nigelot1
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 14:05
snooze in 5 minute increments up to 60 mins

phone book stays on contact when open and close (option)

word processer (spell check)

mattiasj
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 16:52
Quote:

On 2003-03-15 19:09, oferlaor wrote:

11. Email - one alert notification, not one per email (15 emails get you 15 sound alerts!).

16. Allow me to mark email messages as read, so they don't cause the icon to appear. Right now I have to delete them (which causes the phone to subsequently delete them from the server too) or read them in order to remove the icon. It was much better on the R380s.

YES!!!! I couldn't agree more. Those have annoyed the heck out of me, and it would be so easy to fix!

I'd also like to second the request for syncing Outlook categories!
drcharris
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 17:59
I want a joystick/d-pad. Make a small hardware device which goes in place of the flip (the bit on the bottom that unclips and can be replaced with a 'blank') that has something on it that would make the majority of games playable. One thing the P800 is missing is a decent control for games. Most other PDAs have direct directional control buttons which is useful for navigation and games.
arroyootje
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 21:30
This is a useless thread, cos aren't going to do shit about anything..... But i think this should be improved:

-T9 (for handwriting maybe)
-outlook, word,.... editing
-Profiles
-the ability to EXIT programmes
-battery improvement
-more stabile software
-ability to choose default browser
-better camera with nightshot etc.
-sms report
-alarm when off
-better reception

I'm sorry to dis your thread, but this has been done so many times and just don't care... wish they did...
evoke
K700
PM
Posted: 2003-03-23 21:47
i just want SE to once have a phone that does not collect dust under the screen! this was a constant problem with my t68i which l had to keep cleaning and now after a month i have a spec of dust under my p800 screen which whilst being unnoticabe in the light it is annoying me in the dark with just the backlight on... just hope i dont get more and wonder how easy it is to get it cleaned if it does become a problem?

apart from that i have no real grumbles with this truly fantastic phone

This message was posted from a P800

[ This Message was edited by: evoke on 2003-03-23 20:50 ]

foxtrot
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-24 01:33
FM receiver please, please!!!
idengrenme
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-03-25 04:11
Let's keep it on topic people.

My recommendations:

* Use Case Scenario: I don't like carrying more electronics with me than I need. I use my P800 for everything, including the time. At night, I just want to hit a button and see the time... while you are displaying the message "hit * to unlock", can't you just throw the time on there as well?

* Use Case Scenario: Remote schedule/contacts/task synchronization. A novelty of PDA-phones is that GPRS can synchronize people's schedule with Outlook Exchange Server without even thinking about it by being constantly connected, a truly seamless remote-scheduling use case scenario. I agree with the fellow who said SE should have a SyncML server and service, subscription if need be, my corporation will pay for it... Imagine the sales you could make by sticking to business use case scenarios and making people really SEE the purpose of these smart phones!!

* File Manager and Task Manager should have been included as standard apps

* Expansion Memory: Should have used a Secure Digital slot, the available memory of SD is already at 512MB and your memory stick is at a whopping 64. I am more prone to accept proprietary hardware when it's at least superior to the competition. SHAME ON YOU for pushing your inferior proprietary memory technology, SE.

* I would like to connect my custom headphones to the P800 instead of the included earbuds that come with it. Those earbuds don't stay in my ear, and I am attached to the headphones I already have. I wonder if there is some sort of converter I can get to make your proprietary connector work with a standard 1/8 inch stereo headphones connector?

* Can't send files, except for pictures using the built-in camera application via bluetooth to other bluetooth-enabled devices. This would be a standard feature built into a good file manager

* I don't know if SE or Symbian was responsible for the version of SyncML in this phone, but whose idea was it to combine Calendar and Tasks? Where I had my T68i working with mightyphone.com SyncML Service, this P800 fails because it can't find the tasks database on mightyphone.com. Synchronization aborts. I don't want to sync tasks, but it would seem i can't turn it off.

* A built-in flash for the camera would have been nice, but I know there are electronic space constraints in the device.

I know business analysists and engineers can't think of everything.. I think the features and thought that went into the P800 are extensive and for the most part very complete.
Chaser81
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2003-03-26 12:53
I think that just T9 and delivery reports for SMS would make me just about happy.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic