Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers

Author P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers
rmg
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-26 13:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
If no one has mentioned it yet....

The ability to be able to hit a speed dial and then select the number you want to call, rather than having to select a number when you first assign the speed dial...

Or at least the ability to change the name reference under the speed dial picture...

--
rmg.
dirkies
P990
PM
Posted: 2003-03-26 13:44
if they first sort out all things which are typically for mobile phones only, it would be a nice thing (Bluetooth 100%, SMS report, T9, voice recording during call, better interface at some places, flawless sync'ing etc). All the other bells & whistles (FM etc) is secondary.

After all that, if we could use the cam as a webcam through USB (feeding what is displayed on the phone directly towards USB), now that would be nice

and recharging directly using USB without additional PSU could be nice aswell...

on the other hand, this thread is probably more interesting to the competition that SE themselves...

my top wish is really SMS delivery report, I miss that soooooooooooo much, it really annoys me esp when I used that functionality since 7 years and now with the world's no.1 phone I don't have it anymore. And my operator couldn't help me any further with hashcodes for this, all that were suggested here didn't work.
v3il
W580 White
PM
Posted: 2003-03-29 03:29
been using my p800 for 2 days now.. its quite lovely actually cept for some glaring oversights the SE engineers overlooked (and they get paid for this?)

its good that you can fix most of these problems thru firmware updates, its just a hassle to bring it in to your dealer and get it fixed

someone posted an idea for a gaming pad that would sling underneath.. I'm all for that! that would be wicked cool if SE looked into it. The Clie has one, so I don't see why the p800 can't have one!

an add on flash would be great.. as it is lowlight pictures suck like hell, so I have to give props to nokia's 7650/3650 in this department.

touchscreen calibration seems to get off pretty easily... software or hardware problem?

my earpiece seems to sound exceptional, the mic seems ok so far... I have no gripes with making phone calls.

since the screen turns for power saving, maybe SE can have the green light on the rightside blink faster if you have an sms in your inbox waiting to be read? I believe the older ericsson phones had this..

anyways I love the phone... and I'll be breaking it in some more over the next few days! cheers!
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-03-29 03:53
Add-on Flash is coming soon, as is the NEW FM receiver. (If you really want one, the HPR-11 has been out long before Nokia ever even heard of radio)

Handy Day allows you to check on the time with just one button...as well as lock/unlock your phone using a hardware key without using the virtual flip.

Symbian is an OS... there's an upgrade due in April, so let's see what has listened to. As I see it, the P800's hardware shortcoming seem to be Sony's fault...Good screen-but not the latest organic LED or transreflective LCDs, MS Duo, Jogdial (I like it, but they should've used a D-pad instead), ugly keypad, baby blue color, bland over-all design.

Everything else can be fixed with either a FW upgrade or 3rd party app. Even Linux doesn't come DEFAULT with Star Office. I expect a stable & customizable OS... this way I can make it do what I want...not what wants.

Word/Excel editors should come from a 3rd party... I don't think would be able to do a good job on that one. My main gripe is that the Psion 5mx had Word/Excel editors... why Symbian stopped developing these apps is beyond me... even if they were just basic editors.

So far, the P800 has been out for about 4-5 months... considering what it can do...and all the apps that are available for it... not bad... not bad at all. BUT it CAN and SHOULD be better. I have about 30 apps installed... and I'm barely using half of the P800's potential. and Symbian should really work on unlocking its full potential...the SW is really holding it back... and Sony... we know you guys are money hungry @#$%^ ... but come on... larger Duos please!!!! Either that, or 's next phones should come with SD slots instead!
noc
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-03-31 04:44
anyone actually try to use the powerpoint viewer? Fuggedaboutit! It sucks. Won't load presentation that have photo's in it, won't advance past any slide with an animation in it. displays presentation horizontally in a vertical window, why not allow it be displayed portrait and just turn the phone horizontally to view?
PuckerThis
K700
PM
Posted: 2003-03-31 06:07
i agree...i think it would be very nice to have sometype of display time program for the p800 that you can have either turned on or off...that when turned on would be like the t68i, and on the standby screen have the time showing

that would be a lot easier then tapping the screen...entering the code..then clicking on the timer button. it would also be very nice if u could have the time displayed at the bottom of the screen instead of haveing to tap on the Clock icon

~Pucker
"I don't care what the polls say. I don't. I'm doing what i think what's wrong."
~ George W. Bush March 15, 2000
nino4
T68i
PM
Posted: 2003-04-22 16:30
How about a way to sort alphabetically or by date the entries in JOTTER

and also improve TO DO so that only due items show up while hiding items no yet due

janahan
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2003-04-23 18:00
I think people here have confused "enhancements" with "fixes". a Lot of what is asked here are enhancements that are debatable whether they should be included in a firmware update. The functionality can be achieved by thirdparty software, or a bit of sense!

These are what I think SE should implement as FIXES in the next firmware/software update:

(1) Lack of "undo" in basic apps. This is a MAJOR flaw with most of the built in apps. There has been many cases where a stray stylus gesture has deleted soem text in a contact field and i cannot udo that operation. This problem would not be so bad if there was a "discard/save changes" option or alert when editing an item, but that is also missing. This is a serious flaw especially in a pen device. I have a palm, and even that has undo/discard changes options, and because the "graffitti" area is separate to the screen, the chances of stray/unintended gestures on the Palm is reduced anyway.

I know the entry can be restored when synched with outlook, but if a person doesnt use his/her head during that procedure, the mistake will propagate to outlook too.

This is definately something that MUST be sorted out, otherwise soem poor person is going to accidently loose some important number in his/her phoen book, and get frustrated and be tempted to throw their phoen into the BIN. I was one of those ppl yesterday, i was editing my friends contact detail, and a stray stylus swipe deleted the number as opposed to copy it into the clipboard

(2) Hotfix/service pack style updates - Rather than having to go to a Service Center to update the phone for minor fixes, we should be able to download and install "hotfixes" to correct things. I dont see how that should be difficult to implement, since its already available on Palms, Pocket PC's and stuff. Although these fixes will take up app memory (as opposed to Flash Memory), hopefully they will be small enough to be not noticed. Also should a hotfix not work correctly, it can be "uninstalled", or a master reset will clear it.

This would be a better solution than flashing the phone for simple fixes, where there is a risk of update failure destroying a phone. Although I think in the future this should also be made possible, provided the user is fully aware of the risks involved. Even those risks can be reduced in some cases by making partial flash updates available where the user is only able to update "applications" in flash as opposed to the whole phone, reducing the risk of damage should the flash process fail (a basic OS is still available to try again)

(3) Hardware Based master reset. Since some errors cause phone lockups in serious cases, maybe some form of hardware reset when something goes wrong, Maybe it could be implemented like holding own the power button when installing a battery, would ask the user if he or she woudl like to format the C: drive. since this "recovery code" would be run before any other code, the phone should not be effected by other faulty applications/code installed (incorrect startup video/buggy JAVA code)

(4) Discoverable for 3 Mins/as opposed to always, similar to T68i (this was one thing that made the T68i less prone to "bluejacking" as opposed to Nokias, now the P800 has gone down the Nokia route.)

Finally, let me just rationalise some of these so called "essential" fixes that some folks have put down here. The P800 is a remarkable device, with a great OS, and great features, and is expandable with new software. Some "must haves" people have put down are hardly nessasary to be built in, after all this si a limited memory phone, and doesnt have the GB of storage a PC has.

(1) Fax. Someone mentioned the p800 shoudl have Fax built in. I think not. Reason: the device does not have a wordprocessor app/etc, and therefore the only thing you would be able to fax is a simple note. IF you are going to fax a document, its more likelyly that the document is on your latop/computer, whcih has already decent fax software (cover pages, etc) and you can simply connect that to the phone via BT, IR, or Cable. EMail/MMS is more usefull for a phoen/PDA< and the phone supports it well.

(2) Alarm when off. Yes earlier phones support this, but they are phones. I do not know much about the hardware and underlying OS, but it may be tricky to simply turn on the phone/boot it up, and run a notifier program at a given time. A simple answer for this is to just switch the phone into "Flightmode" before going to sleep. it will hardly use any power (i have tested this) and works a treat.

(3) Folders. Yes it woudl be nice, but judging by the nature of this lot, people woudl simply not be satisfied! Better to "encourage" a third party to develop a SMS manager software that will file, save, catogorise the SMS, maybe even save to MemStick

(4) Profiles. Yes maybe that should have been on the phone, but i dont see how difficult it woudl be to create an app (see above)

(5) Stop Watch/Timer/etc. I agree with someone earlier who said this shoudl rightly be downloaded as a JAVA midlet. Come on guys, we have prolly one of the most expandable phones in the world, and we are still expecting the kitchen sink to be thrown in! If you want it, download it! simple!

(6) Issues with Opera/Symbian. These should be addressed to Opera and Symbian respectively, NOT SE. As someone said earlier, if you have an issue with MS-Word on your laptop, you dont go complaining to Compaq/HP/IBM!

(7) T9 - Ok SE didnt include this one, and maybe it was a mistake, however it will never be added as a "free update" simply because it requires a licsense fee. It woudl cost us, and would be simply a case of installing the appropriate driver, though at that rate, we can prolly try other alternatives too. (even the old chatboard could theoretically be supported by an appropriate driver, its just a serial device in the end)

(8) Filemanager built in. No, i dont think that is wise, simply because a noobie may end up runnign the wrong program, and formatting the disk or trashing important files, sending the phone into repair.

(9) Video Recorder. Why??? or rather to the point, why built in??? Just download an application to do that, that way you have more control over recording settings. Also one would need more storage space for this. powerfull as the phone is, it may not have the power to do MP4 encoding on the fly.

(10) Themes - Again this is to do with UIQ, and not SE. This should quite rightly be a downloadable software.

(11) Add new number to existing contact option./ Ok this is a pain, but since the phoen DOES have a Cut/CopyPaste feature, its hardly a major problem. For the person complaining that he has to write it down, then retype it in.. USE THE COPY/PASTE!!!! It DOES work!

I can go on with this list, but as you can see, a lot or the requests need to be rationalised, simply because the phone is so extendable, and some of the requests asked can theoretically be installed for those who want it, as opposed to being built in consuming space for those who dont need it.

As i said. its a remarkable device, and I am sorry if this post is long, but i think we need to stop "whining" about smaller things, and be genuinely constructive about what needs to be FIXED, as opposed to enhancements.

Well done SE for your efforts so far, please implement those three fixes, and it woudl be even better.
Bogus Jimmy
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-05-14 09:21
At the moment, the P800 is an amazing machine but I do agree there are many improvements that could be made to make it perfect.

1 thing I would like to add to this list is the ability to use the HPR-20 to listen to my MP3s etc. It is frustrating having to carry the P800 handsfree & the HPR-20 around with me & then swap them all the time. Please SE let me listen to my MP3s with my HPR-20! [addsig]
tylast
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-05-15 00:13
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=26803&forum=35#post365868
Call Timers

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=27556&forum=35&0
Custom Alarm Days

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=26805&forum=35#post365872
Device Lock

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=26997&forum=35#post368876
Screen Saver

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=27324&forum=35#post372974
Silent Mode

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=23904&forum=35
Order of notes

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=27803&forum=35
Larger Flip

[ This Message was edited by: tylast on 2003-05-17 17:17 ]
Sage
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-05-17 19:21
Sorry man but I DID THIS THREAD, search a bit.

1. Official SE Covers

2. Sms Counter.

3. The ability to record calls.

4. Ability to use Line 2.

5. T9 predictive text.

6. Contrast adjustment.

7. Birthday field in contacts, in sync with calendar.

8. Clock screensaver (on/off optional).

9. Option to hide number by default when calling.

10. Themes / color / background.

11. Video Recording with sound.

12. Zoom capability.

13. Alarms that go off even when Phone is off.

14. Improved and easier Bluetooth.

15. Ability to change buttons to specified options (for example “internet” button turns bluetooth on.)

16. Members of Phone Book can be placed in more than one group.

17. The ability to copy one contact at a time on the phone book from the SIM phone book.

18. Sms folders (in f/c mode as well as f/o mode)

19. Choosing the processor speed (Up to the full 200 mhz)

20. Task manager (In the task bar)

21. Handy-Day like SW installed in the phone.

22. Undo Feature

23. Being able to delete multiple contacts at a time.

24. Being able to delete contacts just by pressing “c” in fc mode and going to the file menu in fo mode instead of having to click on the contact then going to the file menu and not being able to delete contacts in fc mode at all.

25. Being able to update firmware ourselves.

26. Improved Music Player with Graphic EQ, Playlist Functions, Skins etc.

27. Icons for different types of numbers for each contact.

28. Profiles

29. Being able to divert calls when in Desk Stand etc.

30. The phone needs to ask to save when editing contacts etc. (on/off optional)

31. Ability to re-order the menu

32. Ability to set the calendar to open on desired view.

33. Search Ability

34. The ability to set how long the Back-Light is lit.

35. Jot Shortcuts

36. Ability to set the screen orientation (i/e horizontal view)

37. Improved Viewers (with ability to edit MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel etc. documents) (although, this can be made by another company as a software)

38. Display Lock in f/o mode (without having to go to virtual keypad)

39. MP3 Ringtones

40. Ability to make ringtones loop without a interval.

was the final result I had already sent an email to development who said that many of these things will be available in the next 2 or 3 sw updates.
slowie
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-18 16:56
I would like to create or change the playorder of the MP3's.

Now it sorts the songs after
a) Name. This is NOT the name of the song, this is the name that the file has in the Mp3 ID tag...however it does NOT pick up the songorder no from the id tag, info that indeed is in there

or

b) by date

If I load an album on to my card I either get the songs in alphabetical order according to the id tag, or I get the songs in reverse order of the album, since due to the logics of ripping an album, the first song is the oldest and the last song is the newest.

It would have been VERY easy to add a flag for reversing the sortorder. It would also have been easy to add capabilities for reading .m3u files (my old Siemens SL45 could do it).

Now, if I'd like to listen to any set of songs I first have to figure out what order I want them in, and then open each file in reverse of that order and change something with it, and then save it. That way I know the date ordering will be correct to my wishes. It IS do-able, but hey, how annoying.

I have yet to find a thirdparty MP3 player that works on P800.
Than
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-19 11:32
I got an IDEA

TO SONY ERICSSON ENGINERS:

Very simple to do, very useful:

Make an option to "scan" how loud is the sound surrounding the phone just before ringing... and then set the ring volume depending on that... when ring (.wav for example) ends check it once more and set once more depending on loudness of surrounding sound BEFORE looping the sound...

This could be the most useful control of ring loudness
tylast
P910
PM
Posted: 2003-05-22 12:14
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=28123&forum=35
SMSs & Outbox
Monty
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2003-05-25 12:05