Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > w660i can't connect to computer to upload photos

12  Next
Author w660i can't connect to computer to upload photos
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-09 18:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hello; i like my w660i (flashed from a k530i, but that's not the prob), am traveling and using it as my only camera and trying to upload photos to friends' computers (can't install cd on their machines or in internet cafes). have tried downloading program from sonyericsson site, it also downloads quicktime and other crap, but it never works despite reinstalls, etc, on multiple machines.

any way that i can get a computer to recognize it and just access the phone's photos that way? it is recognized as a usb mass storage device, but when you click on the usb drive in "my computer" it says to insert device...

i'd love to have any advice please, have downloaded driver from a link i found in this forum (http://ma3-origin.extranet.sonyericsson.com/drivers/) but doesn't seem to help. i have also just joined topsony, but i have no idea what to download, if it's just a driver i need or what.
thank you!

[ This Message was edited by: moustache on 2008-09-09 18:13 ]
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-09 23:53
Imo you only need semc usb flash driver and w660 signed usb driver to make it work. As for the semc i guess you already got it since you need ome when you crossflashed your phone. Google around for w660 signed driver, you should find it quick when you are a registered member @ se-nse. They have it @ their download area...

Regards
Black Sensation Z710e - Black Apollo 9360
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 15:13
thanks groovepeppy,

i've successfully installed the drivers, according to the "found new material wizard", first the usb then the one for the w660 (i'm not at my home computer).

but i'm still getting an "insert disk" message when i click on the correct usb drive icon in "my computer", the one that disappears when i unplug my phone. i've tried shutting off the phone, holding "c" when plugging it in...

thanks again
totalgsm
W910 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-11 18:27
It will ask you for which mode when you connect the cable.
Select file transfer mode, then you will find the memory stick in your my computer.

[ This Message was edited by: totalgsm on 2008-09-11 17:28 ]
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-12 12:05
i do choose "file transfer mode" when i plug it in, and an icon appears for the drive in "my computer" when i plug in my phone whether the phone is on or off and pressing c, but when i click on the drive it tells me to insert the drive, although it's already in. frustrating.

the new hardware wizard also pops up again, this time it detects "sony ericsson device 0A3 USB WMC modem" but can't install it.

[ This Message was edited by: moustache on 2008-09-12 11:07 ]
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-13 06:10
Is your M2 operates normally?
I've get this kind of problem once and it's because the M2's got worn out?
And for the next pop up wizard, just point it to the W660i signed driver. Just in case you didn't know, those pop up wizard will continue to appeared before all of them are installed properly, there are around 7-10 kinds of driver inside the W660i signed driver that makes the pop up wizard appeared to complete the process though.
I hope you understand my English...
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-13 09:32
this is really frustrating. i installed everything the assistant asked for from the signed w660 driver file, but again, whether the phone is on or off, once its icon appears in my computer and i click on it, it tells me to insert a disk. all i want to do is access the photos!

your english is fine, but i don't know what an M2 is at all. the phone is pretty new, so i'd be surprised if anything were worn out on it.
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-14 02:11
M2 stands for Memory Stick Micro (you use it on Your phone as an external memory don't you?)
I'm quite confused myself just by imagining your problem. The most simple way to transfer your photo i think is to get a usb card reader, in my country they cost around $3 to $5. They are quite small too if you travel a lot. This is the only solution i can think of in the meantime.
Errh.... Why don't you try to solve this problem by visiting the store where you bought your phone, maybe they can show you how to done this step by step?
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-14 02:53
hello again, thanks for your patience. i've never used a memory stick, i just use my phone to take pictures, but since i'm travelling i don't have the cd that went with the phone in order to transfer said pictures, and it was a gift anyhow so i can't go around looking for the shop it was purchased from in spain. i'm now at another location from yesterday, hence another computer. do you think i should just try downloading the sony ericsson program agaain from their site and installing it here?
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-14 09:02
Hello again too

From my experience in using SE's phone, there's no need to use SE's program just to browse your phone memory.
I'm @ home now so I can't post any picture, in a couple hours i will be @ my workplace. I will try to post some screenshots here to tell you how i browse my phone memory.
Regards.

[ This Message was edited by: groovepeppy on 2008-09-14 09:59 ]
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-14 10:57
Moustache, i have a big surprise for you!!!

I try to access my phone memory from the pc @ my office.
I remove my memory stick, plug the usb cable and guess what!
It turns out to be just the same problem as yours.

Before using K610 i happened to use K750. When i plug it to the pc, it recognizes 2 drives. The one is the Phone Memory and the other is the Memory Stick but my K610 (with Memory Stick inserted) only shows Phone card drives (the Memory Stick).

Don't be confused, i'm not sure this issues is really a problem cause I think it was normally like this, and that means you have to get a Memory Stick Micro for you to be able to browse your photo.

If you are planning to get one i recommend buying SanDisk brand beside original Sony Ericsson's, they are lot cheaper with same quality. I'm using 2gb one, my friend uses 4gb for her K530.

At last please forgive me to make you did this and did that before i try to really look at your problem first (i don't know how to write it on english so maybe the last paragraph will sound funny to you hahaha)
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-14 15:26
ok, maybe i'll give it a try, thank you for doing the experiment on your own phone. i'm worried that buying a memory stick won't allow me to access the photos i've already taken with my phone, however.
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-15 02:03
Don't worry Moustache, it will work! You have my word! By the time you buy the memory just insert it to your phone and format it first using the phone from file manager - more - memory status - memory stick - more - format m.s. then go to your camera album folder and mark all your photo and move it to the memory.
Never heard someone can't access their memory stick through pc.
If you still worried just find someone who has a memory stick micro that you can borrow, just for a test that your pc can recognize and access it.
Cheers
moustache
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-09-16 11:57
hey groovepeppy, it worked, thank you for all of your help on this problem. i found a sandisk 1-giga m2 chip for 13 euros 90 at an orange shop, plugged it in the slot and figured out how to copy the photos from the phone's memory to the chip, and now i've plugged in the usb cable and my friend's computer recognized it (the chip with the photos) instantly, now i'm finally transferring them.
thanks again for your patience,
moustache
groovepeppy
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-17 00:46
Congrats Mate, glad to hear it.
Cheers!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi