Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Bravia Phones Coming To India

Author Bravia Phones Coming To India
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 18:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Bravia Phones Coming To India

Facing tough competition in India, Sony Ericsson, the handset arm of Sony, is now dialing its parent company Sony to leverage the brand recall of its brands like Walkman, Cybershot and Bravia to take on its rivals.

With just about 13 per cent market share in mobile handsets in India the company is way below the 62.5 per cent market share enjoyed by Nokia, the market leader.

So Arun Sethi, President, Sony Ericsson India, is tapping the brands owned by its parent Sony to ring in better brand recall for its handsets.

It has already launched Walkman and Cybershot brands in the mobile segment and now it is the turn of Bravia Sony's popular TV brand.

"In Japan if you see we have already integrated the brand Bravia in the handset business and with the time we will do that in India too," said Sethi.

Sony Ericsson expects India to contribute almost 25 per cent of the global handset business over the next two years.

To do that Sony is ramping up its manufacturing facility in India to churn out almost 10 million handsets a year, most of which will be low cost, in line with the rural thrust of many mobile operators.

"We are aware of people's need to be connected. The people is rural India will be using our AM phones so we know that there are special needs there and we know how to fulfill," added Sethi.

Sony Ericsson is also getting ready to ride the 3G boom using its experience in Japan to pip Nokia to the top post in 3G handset business.
Mizzle
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-09 18:26
He's been President in India for a few days, and he's already stepping up the game? Nice!
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 18:32
I can't help thinking that Dicky has really set things in motion since he's been in charge.

I honestly never thought we'd see Bravia outside of Japan but this is now becoming increasingly likely and what works on India's network will work in the EU right?

idumbakumar
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 18:33
Bravia for india. Thats great news. And how come its for india.if a phone with bravia tech can be used all over the world. Right? That means the network which is used in india is same as others. Even india lacks in connectivity options like 3G and edge. So whats the difference.

[ This Message was edited by: idumbakumar on 2008-08-09 17:47 ]
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 18:58
Great news.Yea, obviously it will be a worldwide release. just coz Arun Sethi said so, doesnt mean we will have exclusive rights. Way to go
This Sethi guy looks good.10 million handsets is yummy.
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-09 19:04
Wow, I agree with GoldenFace, Hideki San is doing a great job at SEMC, and it seems too, that Mr Sethi is also firing on all cylinders - fire away SEMC - I feel we all look forward to seeing what you bring to the table - first SEMC Handset outside of Japan, with a 16.7 Million Colour Screen?

I think it may just be on its way.

SO903itv -

Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 19:09
^^I think that phone is great, I'd be looking forward to more of that.

djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-08-09 19:26
why not the world!!! ........well great move.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-10 00:32
This is good news indeed. Perhaps other regions will step up and announce what they require too - like wifi and quad band in the US and a decent range of current phones in Australia/NZ.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi