Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is Sony Ericsson doomed?

Previous  123 4 ... 192021  Next
Author Is Sony Ericsson doomed?
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 00:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-07-20 13:49:06, Dogmann wrote:
@janke1

What he knows and what he is allowed to tell us are two very different things. He has an X1 and told us about the C905 and the fact that both Samsung and Nokia will release there versions either before or around the same time.

If the latest things he has said about the X1 are true which is it will launch about December and internally SE are saying it will not have stable firmware till a couple of months after launch that is a total disaster yet again for SE.

No one will buy a premium product that is still a work in progress when they can but a HTC Touch Pro early September. Plus there will be next gen devices out before SE even get the X1 right, pathetic springs to mind a great product when dead before released in a working state what a waste of time and money that is.

What SE need to do IMO is make less devices in each range maybe just 3 one low end one mid end and one high end. But make them all the best than can be for each price range and make them as close to perfect and with the most up to date spec. Oh yes and release them with finished and stable firmware, they really shouldn't need more than 2-3 firmwares to finalise them over the next 6 months not a year and still with problems.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-20 12:49 ]

I agree with you here. SE needs to work on making more quality products with a little hiccups as possible and of course, release them much sooner. I don't know the full logistics of 's situation, but it looks bad coming from a fan of the brand.

Xperia when announced looked so hopeful, now we don't know anymore. If Nokia/Samsung gets to release their offerings well before C905, I would be very afraid for SE. They already have a "winning" point in the fact that, they are both "smartphones".
My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
cleary
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 09:56
Why dooming a company? Give them a chance to turn it around. I would never consider bying a Sony E mobile, but I sure hope, that they survive this difficult time. We need manufactures like Sony E to kick the others in the *beep* so that, especially Nokia, doesn't rest.

Sony E made mistakes about the market. Two key failures was their respons to the N95 in Danish "Mobil", that N95 would never be popular because costumers didn't wan't an all-in-one phone, so thay wouldn't even consider designing a competitor. Antoher key failure is the lack of build in GPS. Sony E stated again, that costumers didn't wan't that, but they were wrong.

IMO Sony E kicked Nokia in the *beep* in 2004, when Nokia hit an all time low with 34% marketshare. Sony E delivered high tech and what costumers wanted. Nokia learned to listen to the market, and also tried to create a market for fx. smartphones, GPS, DVB-H etc.

I hope Sony E will grow strong again, so that they can kick the big three (LG, Samsung and Nokia), to be proactive.

[ This Message was edited by: cleary on 2008-07-21 09:06 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 12:05
Where to start. Complete lack of innovation, dramatic decrease in quality control, irritating segmentation and adherence to pointless brandnames that mean a Cybershot only gets a so-so music player, a Walkman gets a camera from two years ago, and high-end smartphones have to compromise on both...

Mobile companies build their names on innovative flagships. Back when SE was new, and the P800 was released, they immediately shot to the top of the geek list and had people like me singing their praises for years, because they were the technology leaders and every other phone in the range had some reflected glory from that brilliant flagship. But what did SE do then? They sat on their hands for three years, releasing only minor upgrades to that same platform in the form of the P900 and P910, before realising that they'd frittered away their lead and been left behind. Along comes the godawful mess that was the P990 in reaction to that, the first genuine update to the P800 and one of the most botched releases in the history of mobiles, and that's the end of SE as any kind of force in the geeksphere, lets face it. UIQ3 was stillborn in 2005, but they're still trying to flog that rubbish to us even now, when even SE and Symbian themselves have officially given up on it.

So what do we have now, the promise of the Xperia X1 at some point, a phone built by HTC which is already out of date and designed to be over-expensive, compared to the huge competition in the Windows Mobile market. That's their big idea, the only iron in the fire, as they embarrassingly cancel the next P series and proceed with no other smartphone OS.

It would be bearable if their other phones were any good, but they're terrible too. My wife bought a W910, within a couple of months she lost her entire text message inbox (due to a bug which I know also plagued the K850, the Cybershot flagship of the time), within six months most of the crappy silver paint had cracked off the central button leaving her trendy walkman phone looking like some cheap knock-off, and she's sworn off SE for her next phone and probably the one after that. Embarrasing.

SE have taken the immense brand loyalty they once had, some of which is still mistakenly displayed here, and frittered it all away in lazy development and contempt for their consumers, cutting corners in every possible way. It's now biting them on the arse, and while I wish no ill to any of their employees, I'm glad they're no longer profitting from such terrible mismanagement. They deserve to lose money, and the custom of everyone here, until they learn their lessons and come back with something worthy of the Sony or Ericsson names.
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-21 12:36
@Boinng

You've made a bloody good point - but so have many other users, as they point out that this recent slump within SEMC has been due, in large part to the now departed Miles Flint.

It's a point to be reiterated again, and again - Sony Ericsson, now with Hideki Komiyama at the helm, should see things picking up in the next year - after all, what Flint left behind was an oversized elephant of a company, which moved very very slowly.

Therefore, giving Komiyama a chance is fair - I believe.
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 14:54
@Boinng and @Sony α, I agree with both of you.
My first GSM phone was an Ericsson back in the 1993s and apart from a brief 8210 love affair I've always liked Ericsson/SE devices. There have been minor problems at times, such as a BT profile design problem on a T39m, which SE eventually swapped with a T68i but nothing compared to the situation of the P990. The design of the P990 is actually very good, I'm guessing the designers may have reported an increase of RAM is required but was rejected by the management. This is the point where SE's problems began and they did nothing to correct it. This mentality showed itself in the devices SE announced for the past 2 years and is largely responsible for the situation SE has gotten themselves into.
I wish the new SE CEO "Dick" the best of luck, I hope he can bring back the SE that brought us the K750/P800/P900.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
laffen
Sony Xperia Z5 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 18:10
Maybe we will see some cool new devices at the announcement tomorrow? Let us hope the Walkman brand will renew it's reputation
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-21 18:54
I'm hoping to see an 'XPERIA' style shocker - something we didn't expect maybe - after all - nobody saw the 'X1' coming - so roll on tomorrow morning at 10am London Time!!!
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 18:55
Sony Ericsson has been booming for years now, its had quarter after quarter of huge growth and profits so to think they would throw in the towel after only two or three poor quarters is nonsense.

I think part of their problem is that they need to be able to react quicker to what the market is asking for. There are so many different products that are coming on stream its easy to be left behind if you don't cater for peoples needs quickly enough. Plus with devices taking years rather than months to develop, falling behind is proving costly.

I mean its not as if SE isn't capable of coming up with the goods but I think their marketing department is looking mixed up atm and they have led the company somewhat down the wrong path.
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-21 19:03
Well said GoldenFace!

The Product they deliver, is not far off from being 'what the customer' wants - its the time they take to market, that does the damage!
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
Fanofmodi
C902 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 19:13
i read a lot se moaning here on esato. m a long time se user but u guys changed my mind towards nokia. so for my wife today i went to a reputed mobile shop to buy a nokia or samsung for her. there were display 4 counters. each one nokia se samsung and moto. there were 22 se phones in 1 counter, 12 nokias in 2nd , 8 samsung in 3rd, and about 13 motos in 4th counter. as i really went to buy a nokia or samsung but after taking a look as se counter all nokias and samsung look so ugly and boring that i didnt even wanted to take one in my hand. all se phones looked so sexy like w350 w380 w760 c902 c702 k660 g900 g700. i ended up buying w350 and she loves it. my point is even though se phones lack good features they look extremly good. an average consumer like me first wants looks and then functionality. i had already prepared my mind for nokia or samsung but at the end they didnt appeal me.
sapibobo
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-07-22 00:31
Just want to say that from very beginning i always think that separation between music phone (walkman) and imaging phone (cybershot) is bad idea.....

How much i miss K750....

They (ericsson) used to have the first of cutting edge tech inventions in mobile communications : EMS, bluetooth, mms.... Now they just got spoiled with Sony design team and expensive marketing contract with Saatchi without any significant improvement in engineering....
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-22 00:51
Let's hope the new CEO can turn things around. deserves to be back up there. The likes of LG should never have surpassed to begin with.
My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-22 00:53

On 2008-07-21 19:03:44, Sony α wrote:
The Product they deliver, is not far off from being 'what the customer' wants - its the time they take to market, that does the damage!

Speaking only with regards to SE's smartphone lineup, I don't agree. SE has been significantly falling behind its competitors for the past 2 years. Add to this their incomprehensible decision to stop support for even their newer devices whereas the competitors kept improving and adding more functionality to their older devices, was sure to catch up with SE - and it did.
The short term future doesn't look to good either, what SE is planning to release in a few months, its competitors already have in the market. SE has to stop concentrating on the paint job and work on a new advanced platform, maybe UIQ 3.3, to fill the gap until SF is ready.
I really don't envy being in Dick's shoes, he's got some rough times ahead.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-23 00:03

On 2008-07-22 00:31:52, sapibobo wrote:

They (ericsson) used to have the first of cutting edge tech inventions in mobile communications : EMS, bluetooth, mms.... Now they just got spoiled with Sony design team and expensive marketing contract with Saatchi without any significant improvement in engineering....

What you guys get outside of Japan, is 99.9% the doing of Ericsson AB - Ericsson deal solely with 'Sony Ericsson' outside of Japan - and Sony deal with Sony Ericsson solely in Japan.

So your comment about 'Sony design team' is pretty much invalid as far as Sony Ericsson goes....

Ericsson AB are still making mobile phones, they're well into the mkt - they are Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications (Outside of Japan).
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-23 12:21
This analyst, surely has not seen the new C905 - and as the SEMC Manager says, the K660i and X1...

http://www.pcworld.com/busine[....]ony_ericsson_says_analyst.html

With the C905's new integration of WiFi and GPS, I believe she needs to rethink her outlook.
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 192021  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic