Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is Sony Ericsson doomed?

Previous  123 ... 18 192021  Next
Author Is Sony Ericsson doomed?
StevenC
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-30 05:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
In answer to Islandprd

I use all the samsungs everyday and that is why I think I'm allowed to comment on these phones. I am NOT stating that SE handsets are the BEST phones on the market. I am just commenting my opinion on why Samsung phone may have better reliability.

I agree they have good build quality and that the materials are rather good as well. All I meant in my previous post is that the operating system on these phones are similar, hence the manufacturer reduce cost of platform development and invest more on build quality.

So, if you get my words wrong am sorry I can't do any clearer

Oh yes here are the firware rev:
E900 E900XXFL2 - Used 14 months up to now
D500 D508ZCED2 - used 3 years ....
D600 D600XAEF3 - used 2 years ....

[ This Message was edited by: StevenC on 2008-08-30 04:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: StevenC on 2008-08-30 04:57 ]
islandprd
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-08-30 08:38
@StevenC

I have 4 years old Samsung E800 which has this speaker problem. The best thing, I don’t use it often, only occasionally when I feel like it, otherwise it rests peacefully in the drawer. You see, a seldom used phone yet having hardware problem, talking about solid quality

I am not bashing Samsung, far from it. I just want to point out that absolutely no electronics/brands are safe from faults. There are bounds to have some faults here and there and it is acceptable.

I am neutral toward SE and I never said they are the best either. I avoid SE sucky products like plague, example K850. That is no way implying all SE products are bad. I don’t see any slider build quality on W910, neither on my old K750 which has never visited service centre since out from its box.

Unlike S500 or W580 which use thin inflexible plastic keypad, the W910 uses a flexible, tactical silicon keypad. This IMO will not have any cracking problem whatsoever. If any it will be will be software related which is acceptable due to more fancy functions/applications unlike basic (as you said it) and rather boring Samsung UI.

@All

The things that make me not to rule out SE completely is because SE has
1. Better or attractive design
2. User friendly/fancy UI, software
3. Brand recognition

So what if the product technology doesn’t top everything. If it’s enjoyable to use and make you happy, why not?

What is the point of having a superior product but while using it doesn’t make you happy?

Members of mobile forumers are certainly many, however compare to few hundred millions of mobile users who don’t even visit forums, the number suddenly become so insignificant, so that cannot represent much.

Speaking of SE durability, I have a staff who still use donkey years K700 in our office. I remember asking him two weeks ago if his K700 worked. He proudly said yes except some peeling paints. This fact is far from slanted view of some who persistently saying all SE products must be bad. Example:

whereas i have confidence in the samsung products and their longitivity, the same confidence cant be applied to SE products. they have a solid feel to them whatever they are made of(plastic, metal, whatever) - SEs never do.

With due respect, perhaps it is about time some of these people come down from their chariot and touch the reality in this mortal word. One good way to wake up is to visit any Samsung Service Centre
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-30 19:00

On 2008-08-29 17:22:05, Brightspark wrote:

On 2008-08-29 10:40:04, c96sthl wrote:
I like to know for people who used Samsung Phone and claim they are better build. Have you all used it for more than 12months?

my samsung e720 is just over 3 years old and my u600 is just over 1 year old, and neither of them have ever given me the slightest problem. whereas i have confidence in the samsung products and their longitivity, the same confidence cant be applied to SE products. they have a solid feel to them whatever they are made of(plastic, metal, whatever) - SEs never do.

[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2008-08-29 16:23 ]

the cheap[er samsung phones do have bad built quality but in general samsung is second to none in terms of built quality. the d900i is flawless
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-08-30 19:54
"With due respect, perhaps it is about time some of these people come down from their chariot and touch the reality in this mortal word. One good way to wake up is to visit any Samsung Service Centre"
i would visit an SE service centre, but they're always far too busy.....and thats even with the likes of seus.
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-31 00:53

On 2008-08-30 19:54:13, Brightspark wrote:
"With due respect, perhaps it is about time some of these people come down from their chariot and touch the reality in this mortal word. One good way to wake up is to visit any Samsung Service Centre"
i would visit an SE service centre, but they're always far too busy.....and thats even with the likes of seus.

What you mean by this. SEUS causing too much trouble?
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-31 13:23

On 2008-08-29 14:35:35, Boinng wrote:
Ericsson phones were certainly vastly superior to the Sony handsets available before the JV. They set the standard in technology terms, well ahead of Nokia at the time. Sony's offerings were quite poor in comparison, IMO - although I was a fan of Sony gear generally, I never looked twice at their phones.

I agree completely with this. Ericsson was way ahead of Nokia, Sony were mundane in the mobile phone department. I started off as a fan of Ericsson (although my first Ericsson was a later one, the T28s), but the T610 captured my imagination and the K700 sold me on the S/E arrangement.

The marriage of the two should have been perfect, but I'm not convinced it's ever really matched what Ericsson once had on its own. The tech has really moved on very little from the Ericsson days, it feels as if the same design team have just been put on auto-pilot, with little to drive them anymore. The only real innovation of SE is to bring the pointless brandnames on board - this idea that a "Cybershot" phone is in any way related to a real Sony camera, or that one music playing mobile is better than another because it says "Walkman" on it.

I disagree to solme extent. If you ignore the sales hyperbole, and let's admit they all do it, and just concentrate on what the phones can do it's a lot clearer. For example it's not a music phone or a camera phone, it's just a phone with a certain subset of features. Most people after a specific set of features are aware of this and will ask the relevant questions.

People who buy for brand, generally don't care so much about specifics as long as they get the "image" they are paying for. These people are actually happy as long is the have the "name". Like young kids and Nike shoes.

It's also a package that includes appropriate accessories, so there is value adding to the packages: walkman includes hpm headsets with 3.5mm and large memory card, cybershot includes AF and better camera features. So it's not a total con, it's just that people have the expectation of better audio (or imaging) quality so they are let down when they don't get it.

The people often at fault for raising expectations are the sales people in the stores ie: "So you are looking for a music phone, well look at this, it's a walkman, you know, that means it's the best phone for music" I mean I've heard this conversation in stores on numerous occasions.

Even so, I think most serious music lovers are aware that Walkman is just a branding icon and not an actual guarantee of quality.

I'm not justifying SE's marketing btw, I agree with you 100% about that. However I do see ALL the others making just as blatant progaganda as SE. Using the Walkman brand on a phone is no worse than Nokia's "MusicExpress" label for example. Both companies market their music line as being better for music than their non-music lines.
JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-08 06:27
So with all these news articles surfacing speaking of Sony Ericsson's possible break up what do you all say now?

Will the two sides get it together and bring us goodness once more? Or will they call it quits and break our hearts and egos (for those who stood up against the naysayers).

I know I'd be quite embarrassed as this fellow a staunch Nokia fan told me months ago Sony Ericsson would fall if they don't "get it right". I scoffed at his thoughts and said he better look out.

Now am unsure what he's to look out for...
My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-08 09:29
There's already a topic for that, let's not go there again.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-09 08:32

On 2008-09-08 06:27:20, JAGUY85 wrote:
I know I'd be quite embarrassed as this fellow a staunch Nokia fan told me months ago Sony Ericsson would fall if they don't "get it right". I scoffed at his thoughts and said he better look out.

What else would you expect a staunch nokia fan to say?

JAGUY85
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 03:24

On 2008-09-09 08:32:45, max_wedge wrote:

On 2008-09-08 06:27:20, JAGUY85 wrote:

What else would you expect a staunch nokia fan to say?

Nothing more or less but my point is...his prediction NOW doesn't seem so far off.
My History: T310.K700>K750>W810>K800>W850>K800>K810>P1>X10a>?
S. B. R. Jr.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 03:33
What would happen to Esato if disappeared?

btw I don't think they will,
its just a high market out there so many new features coming out how the heck do you compeat against them?

prob case of wait till 2009 im sure they will buck up saying that they have released some nice phones this year W890i, W980i, W860i
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-09-10 10:05

On 2008-09-10 03:33:31, Miss UK wrote:
they have released some nice phones this year W890i, W980i, W860i

they have.

I don't get the doom and gloom, I mean it's no where near as bad as people make out. All respect to jayguy, but I just don't agree that it looks like SE might fail. I don't agree that SE have failed to innovate, that their handsets are all unreliable, or that SE users are making a wholesale exodus to other brands.

If people want to believe those things, then they can focus only on the negatives and it will seem like that is the way it is, but the truth is less dramatic than the doomsayers claim.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 18:38
all im saying wait till next year.
may have something we are unaware off
Homeless
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 19:42
bring back ericsson
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-10 19:44
I wont say nothing to that
Ericsson is British afterall I think
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 18 192021  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic