Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is Sony Ericsson doomed?

Previous  123 ... 192021  Next
Author Is Sony Ericsson doomed?
mode
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 12:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Imo the reason SE got themselves in a knot is because they failed to listen to those who put them up there, us the consumers. The word 'arrogant' would best describe this problem. They've detached on the ground consumers like us from their sales and marketing plan and attached paid 3rd party agents for assessment and feedback. Of course, there are some details in the specs race that are questionable like 120 fps 16m colours which seem unnecessary, But ignoring a lot of other reasonable specs in premium devices like 30fps VGA recording, 3.5mm jack etc are just blatant disregard of their competition
Ericsson EH97, GA628, GF768, A2618s, T29s Sony Ericsson T68i, S700i, P990i, Z558i, W902, W995, X10, Arc S
*Xperia V*White*Black MW600*Sandisk Mobile Ultra 64GB microSDXC*
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 12:36
i think its their outlook on the market which has caused them problems.

Not so long ago i read something from Eldar. it went something like.... has the most innovative technologies. but they dont use it because they think the market will reject it.

thats the problem right there.....

running a business involves taking risks. you NEED to take risks, even if they dont pay off. but not all will fail.

[ This Message was edited by: >500 on 2008-07-20 11:39 ]
ros-mari
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 12:46

On 2008-07-20 02:23:49, Rookwise wrote:
I agree. More and more people who I know that would stay with handsets are now starting to look at others (myself included).
There seems to be compatibility problems with handsets and accessories which is causing problems as well (particularly the A200 platform). Build quality is starting to get worse with noisy housings and paintwork/finish coming off easily.

+1
In local shops, when I ask about SE models, they tell me they will get less and less as they have become aware they are not sold as before.Some models like w890, neve reached some of the most important "mobile" shops here in Bcn.And believe me, the w910 and w580 returns did not help. The w760 has not been seen except online. Real shops have all newest Nokias and even Samsungs, cheaper and cheaper offers every moths of super brand new ones. Not SE, expensive and never offers.T-650 never seen either in real shops here
SilveR.
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 12:51
They good news is, hope Dicky the new SE Ceo can help up SE after Flints big miss.. It will take month or maybe 1 year.. give it time.. 2009 will be good year for SE.. SE is very little i the world but SE is still no1 in Sweden, after all.. and that won't be change in future..

If you don't like these phones, then don't buy them no one makes you do to it..
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-20 12:52
Well, I see PG speaking some Sense - nice one Plank.
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 13:04
@mode

Spot on there! The question is are they now listening?

@>500

I've always said and felt that SE is on par with Nokia in terms of technology but it's how they decided to apply it that is ruining a good thing. Amazing that they gave us products that were well ahead of their time and then stopped. From the P800i to the K750i- after this point onwards innovation started to be scaled down until it reached standstill- they were ahead by quite a wide margin. A few people still have the mighty W900i and we know what the recording capabilities of that phone was back then. What stopped them from being the first ones to improve on that since they had an advantage already?

Then there's the S700i with its CCD sensor, where has everything gone to? It's time some top guys over at SE got fired to make way for bold and pro-active action.

This notion that people don't use video recording to justify SE's poor video recording capabilities is silly. People will always compare and when LG does VGA 120 fps then it leaves SE behind in the minds of the consumer. Like it's always said, some things are good to have even though you may not use them, it tells the consumer that the product is technologically adept and money was not wasted.

I think the next 6 month will tell if SE has been shaken hard enough to really wake up.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
janke1
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 13:20
ithink about Eldar he knows about lineup for the 2009. But he didint know anything about 8 megapixelcamera and nothing about xperia..Sonyericsson have things going on that nobody know anything about thats what i thinnk anyway
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 13:49
@janke1

What he knows and what he is allowed to tell us are two very different things. He has an X1 and told us about the C905 and the fact that both Samsung and Nokia will release there versions either before or around the same time.

If the latest things he has said about the X1 are true which is it will launch about December and internally SE are saying it will not have stable firmware till a couple of months after launch that is a total disaster yet again for SE.

No one will buy a premium product that is still a work in progress when they can but a HTC Touch Pro early September. Plus there will be next gen devices out before SE even get the X1 right, pathetic springs to mind a great product when dead before released in a working state what a waste of time and money that is.

What SE need to do IMO is make less devices in each range maybe just 3 one low end one mid end and one high end. But make them all the best than can be for each price range and make them as close to perfect and with the most up to date spec. Oh yes and release them with finished and stable firmware, they really shouldn't need more than 2-3 firmwares to finalise them over the next 6 months not a year and still with problems.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-20 12:49 ]
ros-mari
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 13:54
well, they will release same models with AF or a slightly better "something" in one month time?
nbow, as soon as you buy one ,model, obviously lacking some "key feature", a new one is released months later with that feature.Do they expect us to buy a mobile every few months? Some of us do, but normal people will not.W880 is a good example--w890
w580--w910
too many similar models in a brief perios of time instead of a complete one with Good quality build and Good features (w880 again, one of my favourites, but NO RADIO??????in walkman????)
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 14:49
I don't think SE can afford to release the X1 with an unfinished fw like they did with the P990. If they do, it means they have learned nothing form the past 2 years and their doom is almost certain. They must be trying to catch the Christmas shopping season but it will backfire on them, WM users are generally not as patient as us UIQ users.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
jhayms
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 16:01
@Ros

you are right!! absolutely right... even if they build a thousand models but if customer are not satisfied, they will go to other brand, and there goes another customer walking away from them.

in the country where i stay, Imo the ratio is 1 out of 100 persons uses SE. In the company where i work with more than 200 employees, me and my boss are the only one who uses SE. In the Store, 1 of 10 store have SE's phone & accessories headphone & memory card only. I went to a sony shop, they have only 1 set of earphone hpm-70

k810i phone price plunged down to almost 30% after 3 months.

IMHO, SE products are slowly vanishing in the market....

why i bought SE phone 4 months ago? well its my first one, ^_^.

sorry for my english.. ahhehehe.. peace
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 16:43
If Sony Ericsson is doomed then probably XXX Sony Ericsson will take over.
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 18:24
@mode,
you are wrong there. everytime i mail se to complain/suggest/thank i immediately get an automated response email acknowledging my feedback. after that in the next 2-3 days i get a reply from a human addressing my queries.
try doing this with nokia.
nokia has it's own discussion forum but even there you will never get any support from an authorised personnel.
nokia is arrogance personified. [addsig]
BBS
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 19:13

On 2008-07-20 18:24:11, @ftyk wrote:
@mode,
you are wrong there. everytime i mail se to complain/suggest/thank i immediately get an automated response email acknowledging my feedback. after that in the next 2-3 days i get a reply from a human addressing my queries.
try doing this with nokia.
nokia has it's own discussion forum but even there you will never get any support from an authorised personnel.
nokia is arrogance personified.

But, was the reply relevant? informative? useful?

My experience with SE is that I got the responses as you have described but though somewhat relevant they were not useful, and not enough informative.

For example, I asked about how to use the phone as a modem - I got the reply but not the solution. Finally I have to solve the problem myself. Another inquiry was about availability of the P990 in Hong Kong. Reply was something like "P990 simplified Chinese version is already introduced and Hong Kong version will be introduced very soon." That is P990 simplified version was available in electronic shops but not with service providers.
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 19:32
I just hope one day SE can turn around and i like to see what Eldar will write

he seem like praising w580 one year ago and didn't really correct much when the keypad crack issue pop up but now i wonder he crack the linda keypad or he making assumption

not tht i just feel sad on SE but I too feel sad on those review which makes me wonder does people who review phone get special treatment in making cover up report.

at the end i will trust forum poster since we all post remark after using a product!.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 192021  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic