Esato

Forum > Network operators > Europe > Can O2 detect if I use my mobile as a PC modem?

Author Can O2 detect if I use my mobile as a PC modem?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I've currently got O2's 'umlimited' data tarriff bolt-on on my contract, which I use with my N95 quite a lot.

Now, I am just about to start 3 night shifts, and am thinking of taking my laptop with me and connecting my N95 (I know, sorry! ) to it and use it as a modem during my break and slack periods to do some light surfing and perhaps IM (If anyone's awake lol!). Nothing heavy, and shouldn't take me over the 'fair usage' limit hopefully.

I believe O2's terms and conditions for the unlimited data bolt-on prohibit you from using your phone as a modem - will O2 realise or notice if I do use it, i.e. can the detect if/when my phone is being used as a modem? And if they do, what could they do to me? Extra charges, take the tarriff away from me, put me on a more expensive one? I don't think I'd be using my laptop away from home enough to merit getting a 3G USB dongle and monthly tarriff, I couldn't justify £20 or whatever it is a month for what little use it would get!

Or, could I ring them and tell them what I'm doing, would they be OK with it?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

number1
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:24
i wouldn't try it, it's against the terms conditions so 02 could do what they like, first you receive a warning text then you will be charged for the extra mb's you use and at 02's prices it won't be cheap.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-14 14:52
Can they detect though how the phone is used, or do they only send these warnings after you go over the 'fair use' limit?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:01
I tried with my laptop and t-mobile sim and unbranded K850i but received an error message saying the operator would not assign an address.

The only time I was able to connect, funnily enough, was when I was using a t-mobile sim with an O2 branded handset (k850i). Not sure why but it worked.

darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:24
Yes o2 can detect it.

It dials to a different system when you use a laptop or desktop computer.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:28
I've just downloaded and installed the Nokia PC suite, and tried a trial connection of the N95, which worked perfectly! I didn't try any browsing or downloading or anything though, just let it connect, then a few seconds later disconnected it again. So far no texts or calls from O2, though not sure if that's because I didn't actually do any browsing.

I might look into getting a cheap 3G dongle for the laptop, see how cheap the monthly rates are.

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:33
@darrengf,

when connecting with gprs or 3g, the "dial" string is the same in both cases, i.e. something in the form of *99***n# (or simply *99# for the first defined data account)

how does it know to connect to a different system if you're sending that command from a laptop or from the phone?
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:34
You will be fine with that.

so dont panic or worry
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:38

On 2008-07-14 15:34:41, darrengf wrote:
You will be fine with that.

so dont panic or worry

@masseur
On my pc it uses a string command that is differnt to the phone. I have used it on my pc to which i asked o2 for the settings.

The gentleman advised me the settings and said that as long as you dont abuse it and only use it every now and again to check like the news, weather etc then i would be fine.

It comes up on my bill as o2 web mobile however o2 gprs cylce runs once a day on the bill.

and if i say i use my mobile and computer

it shows 2 gprs usage in the same day and not one when i stop and start my mobile phone during the day.

Hope that makes sense
paul101
G502
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-14 15:40
why not get a "3" mobile broadband usb stick??
I don't wanna sleep
I don't wanna dream
'cause my dreams don't comfort me
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-15 01:59

On 2008-07-14 15:40:31, paul101 wrote:

Just a little update on what I've done:

That's exactly what I've done, and what I'm using as I type this at work! Looked on their website, and went for the 'Broadband Lite' deal, £10 a month, 12 month contract with free USB modem dongle. I only get 1Gb of allowance a month, but to be honest this will probably only get used whilst I'm on nights and other rare occasions so should be enough. Think it's only 10p a megabyte over and above that, though shouldn't come to that

Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 23:49

On 2008-07-15 01:59:52, Sammy_boy wrote:

On 2008-07-14 15:40:31, paul101 wrote:

Just a little update on what I've done:

That's exactly what I've done, and what I'm using as I type this at work! Looked on their website, and went for the 'Broadband Lite' deal, £10 a month, 12 month contract with free USB modem dongle. I only get 1Gb of allowance a month, but to be honest this will probably only get used whilst I'm on nights and other rare occasions so should be enough. Think it's only 10p a megabyte over and above that, though shouldn't come to that

My Pal has that he takes the laptop to work with him twice a week
he's paying £5 a month for the dongle though cos he's a existing customer of "3"
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Sony α
T650 Green
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-15 23:50
My Orange handset connected fine!

And, they have no problem with how you use your handset either....!
Sony Alpha.

imaging.like.no.other
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-07-16 03:02
My brother recently got a 3 mobile broadband modem and its great. Very fast and pretty reliable. Also if you dont use it much you can top up just ten quid in a month for 1 giga byte of data. Its also going cheap now at £49.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi