Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Will O2 "buy out" remainder of T_Mobile contract?

Author Will O2 "buy out" remainder of T_Mobile contract?
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-07-12 20:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Guys, a quick couple of questions please...

I have 3 months remaining on my t-mobile contract. Now, if I were to walk into an O2 shop and tell 'em I want to move over to them from T-Mobile and get an iPhone is there there any possibility that they will buy out my T-Mobile contract?

I know some companies a few years back did this (Voda & Orange if memory serves me right!)

Also, has/will anyone try to cancel their O2 iPhone contract within 2 weeks and then see if they can offer extra money to O2 to buy the phone outright - sans contract?

My cousin done this with T-Mobile when he bought the N95 8GB and then decided he didn't want to be tied down to the contract and so paid something like 250 and just kept the phone rather than return it!
The Lostprophet
K850 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-13 22:45
no, infact they will proberly laugh at you.

if you really want to get out the contract, pay the remaining 3months. if you dont really need it and dont care about your number, just leave ti running for the 2months then give your 30day notice period.
The Lostprophet (+14, -0) [e], [m], [s]) SUPERMODERATOR on M-R. (+117, -0) ebay feedback
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-07-13 23:23

On 2008-07-13 22:45:26, The Lostprophet wrote:
no, infact they will proberly laugh at you.

if you really want to get out the contract, pay the remaining 3months. if you dont really need it and dont care about your number, just leave ti running for the 2months then give your 30day notice period.

LOL! The "they will probably laugh at you" part - does that relate to O2 laughing at me for asking to buy out the phone? Or buy out my contract?

As for the tmobile contract - I do really want the number so guess I'll have to stick it out... or just downgrade my tariff to the lowest possible cost and then buy out the contract after a month
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-07-14 02:15
Phones4U will buy you out ive had this happen to me once infact it was last year about 8 wks before my contract ended

they offered me a Vodafone contract however I didn't get one thru them I went to Vodafone directley in the end
BuggerMeNot
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-08-04 05:53
AFAIK operators in the UK do not buy out people from their contracts.

Third party companies however can and do.
As I like to have the best handset on the market, i tend to change handsets every 6-9 months and as such have some experience in this area.
The best company for this is Phones4U; their policy allows them to 'spend' up to 150 per visit to their store on anything (handsets, extras, buyout etc).

Therefore, the best suggestion I can make for maximising your benefit while reducing cost is to make two visits to Phones4U (I have done this myself so know it works).
On the first visit, you reduce your existing contract and get them to pay it off and then pick a handset you don't actually want and get them to spend the rest of their 150 budget on extras (like memory or something). Keep this handset for a few days then go back to the store.
On your second visit, tell them you don't like the handset and so want to cancel it. Now P4U can spend another 150 on you which of course you can exploit by getting them to put it towards a discount on the iPhone or reduction in monthly costs (by a sort of rebate) or whatever.
And thats it, 300 worth of discount, old contract paid off and new iPhone - what more could you want lol.

Only thing I suggest is never let P4U know that you know their policy (ie never tell them you know they can spend up to 150 per visit)

Happy Shopping
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-08-04 08:29
Do O2 offer a buyback service? If so, use that to your advantage, and offset the cost... you may not get the full 3 months as buyback cost but you may get 1.5/2 months from it...
Funniest member 06, 07 and 09, you lot trying to tell me something?

Daily Esato quiz...
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-04 09:50
O2 don't I'm afraid, we just try to offer good deals in the first place
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-04 10:12
carphone warehouse used to buy out contracts, not sure if they still do. They also do the iphone. Give them a try.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-04 10:31
They prolly won't buy out for the iPhone. O2 and CPW are really under Apple's thumb about this, no discounting, no offers, no anything really :/
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
Bonovox
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2008-08-04 16:08
I once had a contract from Phones4U many years back and i said i had another contract and they gave me 96 quid to pay it off as an incentive. You could do it if you trade in and they give you cash back. Phones 4 U took over 2 months to cough up the cash. Theres a surprise. I had to keep pestering them and some staff members said it should not have been offered. Tut.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-09-17 17:52
Bono so did you pay the 96 upfront and had to wait the 2 months to refund you?
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi