Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)

Author Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 17:20
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I should add UIQ3 is ALSO Symbian V9...so there will be some compability ALSO

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-06-24 16:21 ]
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 17:51
Yeah, more compatibility would be great . For example, the oportunity to run S60 application on our UIQ3 phones
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 18:02

On 2008-06-24 17:20:22, ares wrote:
I should add UIQ3 is ALSO Symbian V9...so there will be some compability ALSO

Ares, give it up. In practice there's no such thing as "some" compatibilty - this future platform will either be backwards UIQ compatible or not. It's quite clear the answer is "not".

By your argument, the average S60 app is also "slightly" compatible with UIQ. How many do you have installed on your P1?
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 18:10
No...its just a fact...there´s no 100% certainty that actual s60 v3 apps will be directly compatible in the new plaform either

Read what Simon Judge says

http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page

Do you copy now????

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-06-24 17:11 ]
nettl
T600
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 18:21

On 2008-06-24 18:10:35, ares wrote:
No...its just a fact...there´s no 100% certainty that actual s60 v3 apps will be directly compatible in the new plaform either

Read what Simon Judge says

http://www.google.com/reader/view/#overview-page

Do you copy now????

So, basically you're saying that the Symbian Foundation is lying when they say "The Symbian Foundation platform will offer both exciting possibilities for the future but also compatibility with the past - to Symbian OS v9 and S60 3rd edition."?

Yeah, rather believe some random blogger speculating around...
mario2004
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 18:29
Ares will never 'give up'. He is a 'die hard' fanboy Ask me all about it. But yes eventually he will have to die
'Better govern our selfs the wrong way, then be governed by 'others' the right way.'
- Robert Mugabe - Freedom fighter comarade, peoples hero and President of Zimbabwe.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 18:56
@nettl, if you think Simon Judge is a "random blogger" you show your absolute ignorance on the subject.

@mario2004, welcome...i was wondering were where you, missing the trollfest here.
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 20:03
This was the smartest thing that nokia could do.
Instead of fooling arround adjusting the S60 plaform to be a good competition against UIQ they decided to buy it.
And its clear that Nokia saw the strong growth by Linux and Windows mobile phones.
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 20:06
Who bought UIQ???

^^dude..UIQ is still with SE and MOTO..check whats been discussed and then comment..Nokia bought the Symbian stakes whcih was with siemens..
siker
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 20:43
Interest ing interview with Ulf Wretling, general manager and head of the developer program at Sony Ericsson today on the announcement of the new Symbian mobile platform, and the new f series, check the link below.

http://www.techradar.com/news[....]-mobile-industry-change-402157
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 20:52

On 2008-06-24 16:02:26, apolloa wrote:
@Prom1

Point 1:
My understanding is the Symbian OS is the same on all devices. The UIQ or S60 interfaces are the difference. It is still the same OS underneath. Programmes have to be written differently to run on touchscreen or push button devices which is why one won't run on all. It doesn't matter how deep you think UIQ or S60 goes, the base OS is the same Symbian, all the plug ins and widgets you go on about are bolt on's to that base OS. Unless someone who programmes Symbian directly can say otherwise.

You fail to realize that the core OS is LICENCED to these manufacturers with free will to modify the underpinnings.

My CounterPoint#1: just to be fair I selected 2 touchscreen phones on BOTH or similar platforms.

Nokia 7710 - Symbian OS v7.0s, Series 90 UI
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_7710-921.php
* DOES have EDGE data rates
* Page 14 under Telephony states specifically that Symbian OS v7.0 supports that radio interface.
[quote = Symbian] on Revision 1.5, February 2003, David Mery, Technology Editor, Symbian Ltd wrote:

The Telephony subsystem provides a multimode API to its clients. This API abstract cellular networks including
GSM, GPRS, EDGE, CDMA (IS-95) and 3GPP2 cdma2000 1x (Release A) and is ready for 3GPP WCDMA making
it easier for handset manufacturers to port Symbian OS from one mobile phone standard to another.[/quote] Notice the choice of wording here 'from one mobile phone standard to another'
- its found HERE: http://www.symbian.com/files/rx/file6386.pdf

P910 - Symbian OS v7.0, UIQ v2.1 UI
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_p910-846.php
* Why does it NOT have EDGE data rates, a flagship phone sold throughout the world when it was released (heck my Canadian carrier Fido also carried it)??!!!! Hmmm lets see now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIQ
http://www.uiq.com/files/UIQ_21_Product_Description.pdf
http://www.uiq.com/sonyericsson_p910.html

* You'll notice the OS used in BOTH are the exact same! This is Nokia's 2nd attempt at such a unit at the time while it was 's 3rd attempt (P800, P900, P910 being the 3rd, or 4th if you count Ericsson R384). Just cause the OS core is the same does NOT mean the "GUI" as many ppl refer to it is similar. Touchscreen or not (involve API enhancements written to the core code, NOT REMOVING things out of the code. Radio technology does not have to be removed for application interface or for end user input or how applications perceive or relay that input or an output to respond to it.)

[quote]
Point 2:
You didn't read my posts did you? I said 'The only Linux based phones Motorola have launched to my knowledge are NON smart phones, hence a different market and irelevent to the argument relating to Symbian. I KNOW the new Razr's etc feature the new non smart phone Linux OS hence why I said it.[/qoute]

You need to not skim but read my posts. I specifically posted 15 different models based on Linux! Only 5 (Rockr E8, E2, E6 and Razr2 v8 are consumer platform phones). Its a smartphone OS regardless if Motorola decided to NOT enable a terminal or SDK tie ins for developers to have access to the core OS = Linux. Many have already cracked and been able to. Motorola ships a Basketball game on the E680 that is NOT java alone. In all intents and purposes its a smartphone OS that was closed to developers by Motorola. Don't discount it. If you do then you MUST discount the Ericsson R386 by the same understanding that NO 3rd Party apps could be made for it; yet history calls it THE first smartphone! The argument on Linux was to counter your comment on it being incorrect. I proved it with facts & links; you're stating only "your understanding".

Point 3, @Dogmann also:
Yes there is reason for name calling, some of the comments on here lately are stupid, pure and simple SE hate. Bitching and moaning case SE can't make what you want. Fine go somewhere else then and buy another phone. I would go as far to say some comments posted on here are pure trolling just to entice arguments or spiteful replies for fun.
This site has people on here that work for SE, they have leaked info, white papers, photo's before anywhere else gets them, yet some posters on here attack them, that just say's trolling to me and it's being done by the same people every time no matter what is being said. I have yet to see the usual suspects recently say anything positive about SE or UIQ so what do you expect people to think?[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 15:06 ]

THIS is PURE childish. The attitude in ur post right there, not You directly.
1> HATE is a VERY strong word; careful in using it. Understand you MUST LOVE something/one first in order to truely HATE it/them.

2> Although you ARE correct that if ppl/anyone does NOT like the products available by one company, then goto another. However there ARE things MANY of us registered ppl here on Esato LIKE/LOVE about the SE phone (personally for me its the steady and huge involvement with Java & GUI choice of fonts). Many are caught between a rock and a hard place on simply leaving. Investments in applications over time CANNOT be transfered over EVEN if the SAME app is offered. We "BITCH" and "MOAN" because of these things and STILL want to IMPROVE and deliver products that WE WANT that have the FEATURES we WANT! AND to keep up with competition. What the HELL is the purpose of a forum if not to discuss - intelligently - our likes/dislikes - on topic - and what our perceptions are & provide FEEDBACK to one another?!!?! Moreover, unless YOU OWN this site or contribute to it significantly you shouldn't/don't have a right to TELL ppl to go elsewhere .... remember FREE-WILL?!

To those that work for and contributed and carefully leaked information for those of us fans of SE ... and have been chastised because they cannot CONTROL engineering/marketing/sales decisions on changes of their info from time to time, I agree that its WRONG! I'm ONE OF THEM, or was ... and I've made 2 VERY IN-DEPTH apologetic posts to them ALL specifically naming them! I have YET to see ANYONE else that have chastisized them do ANYTHING CLOSE to that! BAR NONE! Shows the mettle of worth of some ppl not willing to grow or learn from their mistakes, I guess - just my opinion. You may not have to agree, but check my previous posts.

Lastly, apolloa I'm apologizing to you for the last 3-4 paragraphs. It was NOT intended directly and solely to you but I see the same type/kind of post quickly dismissing others feelings or choice of products other than and being told to go elsewhere. I lost it for a bit and unfortunately I saw your posts. Hope you understand along with others. I love this site, and most of the ppl here, most. I can live with not agreeing with some ppl, some of the time.

While I don't agree with every post either Dogman, Peter Kay, or Whizzkid makes, I hope they DO understand that I fully respect them, and intelligently state an opposition on opinion and give/receive feedback from any of them. I'd like to think, at minimum they feel the same about me as well. Heck I don't agree with Masseur using Windows Mobile at ALL - I've been tempted - but thats HIS choice to use them, I can rebuttal against pro's and con's but he's more knowledgeable on them than myself - so I tend to listen intently before I make a final decision on that platform/product range of choice.

We're all different and we NEED to accept that if we're going to have a place to have enjoyable, thought provoking converstations - heck even heated one's so long as its respectful.

Peace.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
C905
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 23:13
I totally agree with you Prom

This corporation is very interesting indeed
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 23:31

On 2008-06-24 23:13:08, C905 wrote:
I totally agree with you Prom

This corporation is very interesting indeed

Thank you!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-25 00:44
Agree!

btw,

i'm really impressed with the way the SE phones handle java apps. No max size like in most nokia phones esp the series40 ones which is very annoying.

[ This Message was edited by: jojosiscar on 2008-06-24 23:45 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-06-25 00:47

Nokia WON'T control Symbian, can you read? It is giving control to the non profit Symbian company being setup. As I have already said, S60 is dead also in that case, both systems will be changed to whatever the new Symbian OS turns out to be, the UIQ interface technology will be used and implemented as it say's, all Symbian tech will be used. Not just and only S60.

I suggest you give it one more try in a quiet room. The new OS will be backward compatible with S60, so obviously S60 is not dead. The same can't be said for UIQ.
So, once more:
S60 applications work on this new OS while UIQ apps don't.
UIQ sacks 2/3 of its employees, S60 has no such plans.
Nokia is running the show here, wake up and smell the coffee.
Time will tell whether this will be good for consumers or not. In the near future there will be only 2 OS for smart phones, WM and Symbian and most likely WM alone for the coming 2-3 years. Again, Nokia have the advantage here as they can continue to sell their S60 devices.

@Prom1, well said.

[ This Message was edited by: makbil on 2008-06-24 23:56 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic