Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)

Author Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)
sigea
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Jesus christ am more confused than ever after reading all this.

Assuming the next gen devices are going to be touch driven and symbian will be looking into that, it would either build up on UIQ or create a whole new touch driven UI

Since UIQ is trimming down employees ,obviously it is not the way ahead.

A new touchbased OS then.

(which hopefully wont be scrapped 6 months prior release)
Jimster71
G700 Bronze
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:13
Why would nokia want their phone UI to be the same as one by SE or LG?

For the consumers it would just come down to a prettiest handset competition.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:14

On 2008-06-24 14:13:07, Jimster71 wrote:

Not just prettiest but features aswell. And if SE continue on this trend of rehashing old hardware then they wont get back to where they used to be.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:16
Hi all,

Well of course this is very interesting and even exciting news but some of the comments here are really laughable.

Firstly lets remember Symbian OS is the dominant OS and market leader and of course yes it will face challenges from the other OS's. But this is not Symbian running scared this is Symbian bringing together all the elements of it's OS to strengthen it's position in the market. Quite sensible if you ask me especially as their is a rise in demand for touch screen multimedia devices. But Symbian holds the high ground and it is for the other OS's to come and challenge them not the other way round. For me one of the most interesting factors is the involvement of two Networks in the mix.

Can the SE fan boys just drop the Nokia hate as it really serves no purpose besides making you look bitter and silly.

No one yet knows exactly what is going to happen so lets just wait for further announcements before jumping to unfounded conclusions. Having said that a large number of UIQ's staff being sacked whilst no similar announcement for S60 staff does speak volumes how ever you want to try and spin it. Maybe the Touch S60 UI will now receive support and input from UIQ which will enable UIQ to really show it's potential on better hardware at last.

Really now we just need to wait and see what happens but it could be exciting for us all whatever type of device we want or who ever our preferred manufacturer may be.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-24 13:18 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:17

On 2008-06-24 14:13:07, Jimster71 wrote:

Not exactly. The manufacturers will undoubtedly cuztomize the UI. The OS willl be the same but it'll look differently on SE and Nokia handsets. It won't be drastically different but stilll.
Jimster71
G700 Bronze
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:18
All high end phones will have a ridiculous amount of megapixels on their camera, some sort of media player, GPS, a web browser, etc

Not much to differentiate them on features.

@Nightblade, that's what they will do, I said that on the previous page.

[ This Message was edited by: Jimster71 on 2008-06-24 13:21 ]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:37

On 2008-06-24 13:26:52, apolloa wrote

And please re-read my last post as I made a flaming attack, then rubbed my eyes and read what you actually wrote and totally changed my response ooops.

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 12:38 ]

I'll take that as your apology. Future Motorola smartphones will utilise the Linux OS hence my statement that they've decided to concentrate on the OS.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 14:56
I'm surprised they haven't launched Linux smart phones yet as I read ages ago about it, as long as it's better then Windows Mobile which isn't hard. But if the last ditch rumour is to be believed then it may not matter soon. Will it go the way of Siemens?
Yep sorry for that post, I haven't got my contacts in LOL.

@Doggmann

Not a bad post, shame you had to have a go at SE fans when this is a SE fan site and we all now you hate UIQ or think SE are useless. I don't hate Nokia, just find them boring and prefer a touch screen, and I refuse to go Windows which is a shame as I fine the Touch Diamond very sexy, and don't go anywhere near the iPhone rubbish. But people are getting confused, and to say UIQ is dead is ridiculous as is saying Nokia will control Symbian.
But am I right in saying more news to come today from the UIQ camp?

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 13:57 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-24 15:05
BTW, Marc.

Excellent post ... worthy of your signature title award!

On 2008-06-24 12:29:11, apolloa wrote:
Great news. However, I just see it as a change in reaction to the market. Simbian was started by Psion, Nokia and I believe SE all those years ago with a similar goal, to create a great mobile OS, that's why every review always says a simbian device is a phone first, Windows Mobile is a PDA first. It'll be interesting to see what way Android goes in that respect.
So fantastic news for a fantastic and WELL developed platform. And NONE of the platforms will vanish either, that's a totally stupid thing to say when no one has controlled it since it was launched, Nokia aren't doing it to ditch everything bar S60 (I bet the Nokia fan boy's will say they are) they are doing it to ensure the survival and future of the platform as it's the same base OS on every device. UIQ is just the interface to the Simbian that SE use, it won't disappear the same as S60 won't. If anything UIQ will have more of an impact as everything goes touch screen.
It is also very interesting to see Samsung and LG sign up, but I suppose they want all there fingers in all the pies.

Dude, you just lost any credibility in your knowledge of the Symbian market. UIQ, or S60 is No LONGER a GUI! Its evolved WAY too much to be simply that. In comparison Linux on the desktop you have KDE & Gnome. Although either ships with different applications; many are the same ends to a means (more on KDE, just like S60 has more apps). What you FAIL to realize is that S60 has so many more plugins (Python, Ruby, Widlets or Widgets like a desktop, etc etc). This use of other OS' no longer allows the use of the definition of GUI for either S60 or UIQ. Lastly porting an S60 app over to UIQ or vice versa is NOT as simple as us non-coders THINK it would be, as many things implemented would not be compatible.

Samsung and LG already license S60 and have done so for a VERY VERY long time, Samsung more so lately with 4 phones announced this YEAR 2008! Motorola only announced 2 along with SE this year; ALL are shipping just like Samsungs'. LG announced 3 this year based on S60.

I take it this was the big announcement everyone was on about?

@ems06
So just how many Linux phones have Motorola launched then? Is it more then 1? And how many UIQ phones have they launched? Isn't it 2 so far? Yeah you can surely tell there entire UIQ business model from that. They were supposed to of been developing Linux for it's non smart phones. Different market. And if the news about it's last ditch phone is right, it's using UIQ4 which pretty much makes what you said a load of tosh.

WHAT!?? Dude PLEASE take a look at GSMArena, don't filter and cruise through 4pages of Motorola phones in the past 6yrs. Motorola have launched roughly 10 phones based on Linux (MotoMAGX is just their latest iteration of Java+Linux phones; previously called JUIX UI).

A1600 & A1800
Z6 (w/c/m)
Rokr E8
RAZR2 V8
Rokr E6
Rokr E2
A910
A1200
A728
A732
E895
E680i
A780
A768i
A760
A388c
All these were based on the Accompli projects - those of us old school PDA users know this well.

Previous UIQ phones:
A1010
E1120 - NEVER SHIPPED
A1000
A925
A920

@technical expert
You are stupid. Nokia saves SE, yeap, SE have only EVER made UIQ phones eh? Your post has to be post of the day I think.

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 11:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 11:36 ]

No need for direct name calling.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 15:12
@Doggmann

Not a bad post, shame you had to have a go at SE fans when this is a SE fan site and we all now you hate UIQ or think SE are useless.

Apolloa, WELL SAID

back to serious stuff, here´s an interesting article to put things in prespective

http://mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/625

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-06-24 14:22 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 15:35

On 2008-06-24 14:56:04, apolloa wrote:
But people are getting confused, and to say UIQ is dead is ridiculous as is saying Nokia will control Symbian.

I don't think it's the people who are confused. Nokia WILL control Symbian and UIQ IS dead. Is it so hard to understand this?
It looks like we have 2 years before any device based on this joint platform can appear. Nokia may be the one providing the bulk of the cash but let's not forget that they are getting touch screen technology in return, so it may be a fair bargain.
If SE spends these 2 years getting up to date on technology, they may have a fighting chance with their new devices.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 15:54
@Apolloa and Ares

Oh please all i asked was for the SE fans to stop the hate and just because a few deluded SE fans like you think i hate SE and UIQ doesn't make it true, far from it is true.

It really would be nice if some could grow up and stop seeing any criticism of SE or UIQ as always equating to hate. The only ones full of hate are you just wake and face the facts SE are just no longer the great company they once were. As proved by their actions of late and the fact they have now dropped to 5th. Try looking up constructive criticism in a dictionary.

@Prom1

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-24 18:15 ]
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 16:02

On 2008-06-24 15:35:04, makbil wrote:

On 2008-06-24 14:56:04, apolloa wrote:
But people are getting confused, and to say UIQ is dead is ridiculous as is saying Nokia will control Symbian.

I don't think it's the people who are confused. Nokia WILL control Symbian and UIQ IS dead. Is it so hard to understand this?
It looks like we have 2 years before any device based on this joint platform can appear. Nokia may be the one providing the bulk of the cash but let's not forget that they are getting touch screen technology in return, so it may be a fair bargain.
If SE spends these 2 years getting up to date on technology, they may have a fighting chance with their new devices.

Nokia WON'T control Symbian, can you read? It is giving control to the non profit Symbian company being setup. As I have already said, S60 is dead also in that case, both systems will be changed to whatever the new Symbian OS turns out to be, the UIQ interface technology will be used and implemented as it say's, all Symbian tech will be used. Not just and only S60.

@Prom1

Point 1:
My understanding is the Symbian OS is the same on all devices. The UIQ or S60 interfaces are the difference. It is still the same OS underneath. Programmes have to be written differently to run on touchscreen or push button devices which is why one won't run on all. It doesn't matter how deep you think UIQ or S60 goes, the base OS is the same Symbian, all the plug ins and widgets you go on about are bolt on's to that base OS. Unless someone who programmes Symbian directly can say otherwise.

Point 2:
You didn't read my posts did you? I said 'The only Linux based phones Motorola have launched to my knowledge are NON smart phones, hence a different market and irelevent to the argument relating to Symbian. I KNOW the new Razr's etc feature the new non smart phone Linux OS hence why I said it.

Point 3, @Dogmann also:
Yes there is reason for name calling, some of the comments on here lately are stupid, pure and simple SE hate. Bitching and moaning case SE can't make what you want. Fine go somewhere else then and buy another phone. I would go as far to say some comments posted on here are pure trolling just to entice arguments or spiteful replies for fun.
This site has people on here that work for SE, they have leaked info, white papers, photo's before anywhere else gets them, yet some posters on here attack them, that just say's trolling to me and it's being done by the same people every time no matter what is being said. I have yet to see the usual suspects recently say anything positive about SE or UIQ so what do you expect people to think?

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 15:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: apolloa on 2008-06-24 15:06 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 16:05
@Dogmann: While I agree with you on the points you make, I think what they were talking about was that you told the SE fans to stop the Nokia hate (which is fair enough), while the last few pages have been full of Nokia fans bringing the SE hate.

Maybe, to be fair, you should have said "everybody stop the hate." Because come on, some of us are whining and arguing like little children here.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
shyam335
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-24 17:13
To make things clear, from the whitepaper

A new platform is then to be formed from Symbian OS and S60 with selected UIQ and MOAP(S) technologies integrated.

The Symbian Foundation platform will offer both exciting possibilities for the future but also compatibility with the past - to Symbian OS v9 and S60 3rd edition.
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true - Winston Churchill

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us - Winston Churchill
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic