Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)

Author Nokia buys Symbian! (Mobile leaders to unify the Symbian software platform)
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-28 20:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-06-25 03:26:19, apolloa wrote:

In regards to Motorola's linux phones, I only class a smart phone as one that I can install apps onto as these day's having a CPU and memory doesn't cut it. Otherwise no matter what OS it has it isn't any different to a phone with an OS that is open to developers. I am glad Motorola used it as it's OS was a total mess before. But if I can't store apps on it then it's not smart. If it's cracked then it's different but that's not standard and an improvement made by the user. As for the R380, that was a digital diary and phone IMO but I take your point.
Yes they are smart phones because they use a smart OS, but when you look at 'normal' phones these day's, installing apps is the only thing separating them. Looking at the new smart phone models they launched today/ yesterday, they are designed for the Far East market as they have no 3G but they do run the Linux OS however I don't know if they are open to devs or not?

Hell the last time I checked these were native apps for EZX which is the E8 and A1200 and A780 OS . These do not need cracked phones, all you need is a installer thats placed in the mem card. The A780 does'nt even need that, you can use the built in installer.

http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5358
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13340
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16078
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11349

And the forums, lots of the apps are native
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
http://www.motorolafans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

And I recently attended the MotoDEV SUmmit and within the next 3 months there is going to be a SDK for LJ phones, although they are termed Feature phones you can install native C++ apps, Java Script based apps called WEBUI and Java.

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-06-28 19:07 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 10:59
@Dogmann

Perhaps you'd better view Michael Mace's background and resume, its impressive.
http://www.mikemace.com/about.php

I think you're reading more into the statements than it says. According to the diagrams on the previous page, Apple already command 5x the market penetration of Symbian in the US; thats a good position to lauch from. If Symbian are indeed in a holding pattern for 2 yrs then I for one would expect Apple to make big inroads on them especially considering the amount of developer interest in the iPhone 2.0 platform. Time will tell.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 12:13
@Carkitter

Sorry but once i saw this in his list of credits he completely lost any chance of being impartial at all,

"director of Mac Platform Marketing at Apple"

Of course he is going to say Mac's and Apple will rule the world just the same as SE fans say SE will it has nothing to do with reality.

As for your point of how many devices Apple sold in the US where Symbian up to now sells very few, Symbian still shipped well over 110 million devices last year and Apple did what less then 10 million? How ever much better and cheaper the 3G version is i seriously doubt it will sell 10x times more don't you?

Rim sold more than Apple and this year and next with their new products that at last offer 3G/HSDPA, WiFi, GPS
a great screen and Multimedia and also a full touch screen device, will I'm sure sell more than Apple again.

Once more the iPhone is a nice product if it offers what you want but for far to many it doesn't and just because it supports push E-Mail and Document reading a smart phone does it not make. A great Multimedia device it is but that still won't make it market leader or even close in the next 12-18 months IMO. As always only time will tell but with the next gen devices coming Apple's position will be seriously challenged and many will equal or surpass it.

Oh yes and please forget this idea that Symbian are in a holding pattern for two years as frankly that's just absurd. No company would do anything as stupid as that especially not in market that changes and develops so quickly. Nokia will continue as the new platform will be backwards compatible with S60. They most certainly won't stop to let the competition catch up as that would be madness, it is those that don't use S60 that will have to decide whether to use it or something else until the new Foundation OS is ready.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-29 11:20 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 12:57
@Dogmann

With this obsession with peoples 'ulterior motives', you're losing credibility.

So he worked for Apple, so what?
He worked for Palm too, does that give him split loyaties?
He also has an intensive journalism background, so wouldn't he understand the concept of objectivity?

Stop being so paranoid.

He never said Macs and iPhone will rule the world. You assumed that.
He made careful measured statements and then let a quote from The Register make the bold prediction. He never said it himself, its an old journalism trick...

What he said was quite rational and thought provoking.

Once again, I never said iPhone was a smart phone. I've always maintained Version 1.0 was a fashion phone and Version 2.0 is more of a networking device. Definitions of smart phones are wide and varied and do not interest me. However this is a thread about OS and Apple OS is a recognised alternative to Symbian; whatever its popularity it is relevant to the discussion.

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-06-29 12:59 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-29 19:30
@carkitter,

You are free to believe and interpret what he said and meant as you feel fit to. I am not paranoid or obsessed with ulterior motives but am very sick and tired of all the utter BS that the iPhone is the best thing to ever happen to mobiles and will wipe out every bit of competition in it's path.

I have also been very careful to point out that the iPhone for some is brilliant whilst for others it isn't, but this idea that it will beat never mind just challenge Symbian is just a joke. Based on what 10 million sales in a Year especially when many who bought the iPhone had never bought a smart phone before so it hasn't really stolen that much market share from others. Even if it grows by 200% it will still not be the major player, it really is a long way off from being a dominant platform and Android will challenge the iPhone strongly as well as other OS's once launched.

The next 12 -18 months will be very interesting IMO and we will see greatly improved OS and better specified devices. As i said i think Rim are a company to watch as they will offer devices more suited to Europe as well as North America and all users as opposed to just mainly business users.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-29 18:30 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-30 12:09

On 2008-06-29 19:30:04, Dogmann wrote:
@carkitter,

...but am very sick and tired of all the utter BS that the iPhone is the best thing to ever happen to mobiles and will wipe out every bit of competition in it's path.

Who says that? Certainly not me, I get accused daily of being an SE fanboy. Certainly not Michael Mace, if you read his blog as I did last night you'll find he is quite impartial. He comments on all parties whom he feels are affected by the Symbian changes.

I have also been very careful to point out that the iPhone for some is brilliant whilst for others it isn't...

Yes I know. Everyone knows. We know the statement off by heart.

...but this idea that it will beat never mind just challenge Symbian is just a joke.

And it was written as a windup for Nokia. Read the blog.

Based on what 10 million sales in a Year especially when many who bought the iPhone had never bought a smart phone before so it hasn't really stolen that much market share from others.

And you accidentally found the point of the iPhone. It brings in non-smart phone users to an Computer OS based device - an achievement in itself! My wife will have one soon but she'd never consider a Nokia Communicator or P1i. The 2.0 version broadens the appeal from upwardly mobile people to anyone who wants to surf the net easily on thier phone with or without Wifi and anyone who wants to use professional level Apps and games. Sounds like a good recipe for sales success to me, even though like you I prefer other devices.

Even if it grows by 200% it will still not be the major player, it really is a long way off from being a dominant platform and Android will challenge the iPhone strongly as well as other OS's once launched.

I don't think ordinary consumers really get the Point of Difference of Android. If its only about open source then this Symbian announcement is a big problem for them. If its a platform for more Google advertising then many people like me won't be the slightest bit interested.

Apple have a serious head start over Android who have to start from scratch without the Mac and iPod user experience to leverage off. Good luck to them.

The next 12 -18 months will be very interesting IMO and we will see greatly improved OS and better specified devices. As i said i think Rim are a company to watch as they will offer devices more suited to Europe as well as North America and all users as opposed to just mainly business users.

Marc

Agreed.

You constantly condemn SE as either inept or arrogant because they haven't built the Symbian UIQ device of your dreams. Surely with this change in the Symbian landscape we all now understand why. I think your critical assessments of SE have been wrong.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-30 13:53
@carkitter

I think you will find that Android has a far wider audience then you think, just look at all the users that have G-Mail and also use Google Calender and Doc's. That will once Android launches have great access to those features. They will also not be locked down to just one device from one manufacturer either so there are many advantages these devices will offer over the iPhone. If the rumors are true some of these will also be the first devices running the next generation of chips also a big advantage over Apple. As for how much advertising they will carry who knows but most probably no more or less then when you visit any Google page would be my guess.

Again i have pointed out that we are seeing a major shift in smart phones from being the preserve of Business to hitting the main stream as they become far more focussed on Multimedia and this is where the real growth lies IMO.

As for my criticism of both SE and UIQ i stand by them both as quite simply UIQ3 when delivered wasn't fit to be released and it took well over 6 months to even get close to a releasable state. The lack of updated hardware and no HSDPA even now with their latest offerings is another factor. If SE had given UIQ the hardware upgrades and HSDPA it may well of been a very different story for them.
But currently SE has problems all around and it's hardly surprising is it, look at all the comments of missing features for the last two years and SE's inability to change and you have the answer as to why they are now 5th. They still somehow manage to have a loyal following but with an ever decreasing number of users and hence their results. There lack of innovation and churning out the same old thing in a new design and releasing buggy firmware has really started to hit them where it hurts and sorry but they deserve all they get for releasing such buggy products and giving such lousy customer service. Who but only the most loyal SE fan with put up with the K850 saga that 10 months on people are still getting BROD or are on their 4 or 5th handset. That's where SE's profit went as the Networks would charge back each return to them.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-06-30 13:05 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 12:15
Nokia says 9 more firms sign up for Symbian pact
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 14:37
Great! The more the merrier. Personally, I wish we didn't have to wait this long.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-10 15:25

On 2008-07-10 14:37:03, EMS06 wrote:
Great! The more the merrier. Personally, I wish we didn't have to wait this long.

Same here! But you get ppl that just prefer UIQ and state they "hate" S60 and feel that UIQ was doing very well.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 15:52
I know. I prefer UIQ myself but I don't dislike S60 and honestly speaking UIQ and SE doomed the OS to failure by 'taking it easy'. It's a pity really that a good OS like that was made redundant thus bringing about its ultimate death so soon.

Having said that, I'm almost sure that the end product of this foundation will live up to (MY) expectations. Can't wait.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 16:03
UIQ died with the P990, that's the sad truth. Unfortunately I can't stand S60, so that's Symbian dead as well, as far as I'm concerned.

Just torn now between sticking with WM, or branching off into Iphone territory.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-10 16:13
True, the P990 was the end of UIQ.

I'm going WM (X1) within the next few months then back to Symbian probably 2010. If I love WM on the X1 I may just stick with the OS.

As for the Iphone I'm still not that impressed, I'd go so far as to say I don't like it. Maybe I will like the next iteration after the 3G one.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic