Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?

Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 192021  Next
Author The New 3G iPhone ! Is this the begining of the end for the SE P AND X series?
sigea
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-12 07:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Memory Stick Micro (M2) 8GB - Price: $119.99

New faster iphone 8GB - Price: $199.99

Guess what customers are gonna buy

As much as I love SE and beat and thump my chest out supporting it and proclaiming how bad iphone is, gadget loving ppl arent gonna give a damn.

Iphone started with a market skimming strategy, enticing with its premium image (which SE enjoyed previously with its high end phones)

and now its mass

Apple will only benefit from its cool image and lower pricing, and once customers start loving a User interface, be it nokia or SE or Iphone, theyre gonna prefer the same UI for thier next purchase if they like it.

I remeber the time I held my first T610 and found it cool n rad and was hooked to SE

Thats what most iphone users feel. the damn things cool. and when somethings cool, ppl will go out of thier way to defend it even if it lacks basic features like u cant forward sms etc (theres a 3rd party app out for it now BTW). Actually there are tons of 3rd party apps coming out, and its freaking cool to play around with the latest 3rd party app ,even if ur just browsing your same old half drunk pic .

Look how we guys defend SE even when HTC touch diamonds wow factor is more than Xperias (thisll get the guys coming after this comment, but its the truth) Xperia shudve been released in jan 08 for it to have taken a footing

When I walk into the phone store I see a ton of HTCs lined up, the newer lineups more sexier than the other

SE's doing too little too late, we needed to have 7Mp & optical zoom and BETTER design for our products for 2008.

The G900 looks like every other SE phone, whereas every other crappy nokia looks sexy.

The customers gonna buy sexy and new, like they do with iphone, which means lesser SE units sold , lesser profits, lesser dedication to make superb phones.

I hope in the long term this is just a rough patch for SE and that there are better things ahead

And like it or not, the cool iphone interface is the scope of things to come, its simplicity and direct human- device interaction at its core.
Which was what UIQ was designed for originally.

Darn How I wish SE was the first to do it.
sesukaku
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 07:52
yea..high tech-low price, its what most ppl been looking for. Even if Xperia out by september, the price won't be able to compete with the freakin Iphone. However, i believe that Xperia still have something up against the Iphone in terms of quality wise. Im not sure how much apple have improved their basic functionality. From what i read on mobile-review last time, Iphone is lacking in terms of the very basic functionality as a phone. If they have fixed all those criticism made over at mobile-review, then i will give it a think about.
jkthewarrior
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:12

On 2008-06-12 07:32:19, sigea wrote:

You must be dreaming!! Where the heck did you get those prices from, i just checked ebay UK and a 8gb m2 is £30 shipped and on ebay.com its $60 shipped!!

Also i dont think the iphone 3g is gonna be $199 to buy outright as reports that the european version is gonna be 499 euros for the 8 gb and 569 for the 16 gb so i think its safe to say its gonna cost $500 to get the phone without a contract, and then you have to find a way to unlock it to the service provider of your choice!
Although i must admit its priced fairly well against other new smartphones like the touch diamond which is about 500 euros unlocked.
So peoples hopes of it being £199 on pay as you go have just been shattered, or must have been dreaming!

[ This Message was edited by: jkthewarrior on 2008-06-12 08:17 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:14
Just to satisfy my curiosity.

How many people here raving about "Business features" who own "Business phones" are actually businessman?

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-12 08:17 ]
helloweeny
Z710 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:29

On 2008-06-12 07:32:19, sigea wrote:

The title of this thread made me laugh heartily. Some more lovely marketing from Jobs and co. i see.

$199! Heh! But thats not the whole story is it? In the UK the 'cheap' Iphone doesn't really work out very 'cheap' at all.

£35 a month for 18 months + a lovely £100 on top for the phone. And as there seems to be some nice restrictions I won't be able to get it unlocked.

So this 'cheap' Iphone costs me £730. Thats a lovely total of $1387 in American.
Great I really want a phone that still isn't capable of MMS or even copy paste, things invented years ago. And before you ask, yes I do use them.

But at least the iphone can make video calls... Oh wait....
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:33
No-one said it was ever cheap, but that it is cheaper than the last one.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 09:56
The pricing is a LOT closer to the competition this time. O2 are offering this on a £30pm contract for just £99 - admittedly the minutes are stingy (75pm + 125 texts) but it still comes with "unlimited" data+wifi, and will be within the reach of many more people - and these are launch prices.

It'll be on Pay & Go as well - they've not released pricing for that yet, but would they bother marketing it on P&G if the price was that outlandish?

These are interesting times, and rather sad times for the likes of SE. I have to nail my colours to the mast and say it's between various WinMo devices, the Iphone, and other innovations like the BB Thunder for me from now on - SE simply have nothing that interests me now or on the horizon. The X1 is a long lost opportunity, and UIQ is an entirely dead end.

The only comfort for SE is that their other traditional rivals, like Nokia, seem just as powerless right now. Slumbering giants, almost ready to roll off their perch..

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-06-12 08:59 ]
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 10:10
@Boinng

The X1 is a Windows Mobile device, not UIQ.

I think by the time the X1 is released someone like HTC etc will have already had a better phone out for a few months making the X1 outdated before it's released.

(My post is nothing to do with the iPhone by the way, sorry to be of topic slightly)

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-12 09:10 ]
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-12 10:25

On 2008-06-12 09:14:26, mswallis wrote:
Just to satisfy my curiosity.

How many people here raving about "Business features" who own "Business phones" are actually businessman?

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-12 08:17 ]

I am. I use all the business functions of the phone. I don't use MMS which is a stupid function when you have e-mail and it's just so much cheaper. The Iphone has so many downsides I don't even know why ppl are considering comparing it with HTC or P1i. Oh,I forgot,it's the moneky-gesture-style-touchscreen!
People are talking about touchscreen like Apple invented it. Well, I'm sorry to dissapoint them, SE is very successful with touchscreen for years now.
" They say i'm sick; they`re right, it's called 'Terminal Boredom!' "
Follow me on twitter.com/bograma
Read my Symbian UIQ 3.0 reviews at Juvo's
pnf1973
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 10:26

On 2008-06-12 09:56:22, Boinng wrote:
The X1 is a long lost opportunity, and UIQ is an entirely dead end.

The only comfort for SE is that their other traditional rivals, like Nokia, seem just as powerless right now. Slumbering giants, almost ready to roll off their perch..

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-06-12 08:59 ]

Thats somewhat unfair. UIQ is a good UI, its stable and mature. I like UIQ, I like the fact that it can run nice and fast on 208mhz processors. Its also well placed to completely outclass iphone's UI, if only someone would actually build a device to properly compete with it. I think SE are currently concentrating on getting UIQ on as many devices as it can, rather than real innovations in new hardware. I admit this is disappointing, but UIQ has the potential to really outclass iphone, s60 and BB. You could easily have a finger friendly UI which has all the depth you expect from a full smartphone or pda.

Now, compare it to android and there you have something that really can threaten it.
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 10:35
@701

You're right it is very silly to compare the HTC devices or the P1i to the iPhone. The iPhone is not a business phone, nor has it ever been marketed as one.

All the devices that people keep comparing it to are business phones, the iPhone isn't a business phone at the end of the day, maybe in the future but at the moment it isn't.

This thread is pretty pointless isn't it really, comparing phones that are for 2 completely different markets.

Of course the iPhone isn't going to be the end of The P or X series business phones, it's not even in competition with those devices. At the end of the day the iPhone is a fun multimedia device, plays good quality videos, good quality music, has a fantastic web browsing experience, and is fun to use for your normal everyday person.

I personally think this thread should be locked as it is pointless.

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-12 09:36 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-12 10:38

Its also well placed to completely outclass iphone's UI

Epic Fail
Posted from an iPhone
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-12 11:02

On 2008-06-12 10:38:25, whentheleveebreaks wrote:

Its also well placed to completely outclass iphone's UI

Epic Fail

Because as we know, Apple invented OpenGL ES, and has a monopoly on using it.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 11:11
OpenGL ES is the official 3D graphics API in Symbian OS and Android, they're not Apple products.

Edit: And isn't it a royalty free open standard anyway?

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-12 10:14 ]
myth®
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-06-12 11:19
I really love reading 'apple vs. orange' discussions like this and it's amazing how fast they grow and funny how similar they end, since other than the fact that such discussions never lead us to anywhere, they turn into personal attacks and/or insults and the topic gets locked.

Anyway, having used devices of all three platforms, all I can say is that even the 3G iphone with improved specs will never replace a P-series, let alone the upcoming X.

Come on guys, let's get realistic:

Iphone is apple and the rest is orange.

[ This Message was edited by: myth® on 2008-06-12 22:01 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 8910 ... 192021  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic