Very much doubt it.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 13:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-07-28 12:10:23, QVGA wrote:
this will easily beat the crap out of iphone

Don't quite see it myself. That still looks like nasty old S60 to me, whether it's touchable or not - no competition to the Iphone OS in look or feel.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 13:32

On 2008-07-28 13:30:05, Boinng wrote:

Don't quite see it myself. That still looks like nasty old S60 to me, whether it's touchable or not - no competition to the Iphone OS in look or feel.

Yes, true. And thats really what the iPhone genre is all about: Providing a beautiful, easy to use interface that allows everything to work really really well.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 14:05
Hi all,

Remember this is going to be the first Touch UI product and isn't a premium product either but aimed at the masses. I also doubt the UI will be as pretty as the iPhone but i bet it's functionality will be in another league nothing that we are used to missing here.

Also as it will be backwards compatible with most if not all S60 apps you should be able to add any functionality you are used to on your current S60 device or need or want.

The iPhone UI was pretty but i just hated so much of how it worked. E-Mail sucked as it pushed all my mails including all my spam from my Yahoo account. To make that worse deleting Mail needed to be done twice, once form the Inbox and once from the rubbish bin. Making appointments was a nightmare with the spinning clocks to allocate the time and you can't preset a standard time either. The Web Browser that everyone raves about that won't and can't remember your page settings and what's worse is it won't even hold them for a whole session every page needs zooming to your preferred size.

Those where just the 3 things that bugged me the most and where a deal breaker for me which is why i sold it. A great looking UI isn't really the be all and end all of it. Ease of use and functionality rates much higher for me then just being the best looking UI.

But if the iPhone is great for you fair enough it just wasn't for me not even close.

I will wait and see what Nokia deliver with this and the following premium devices before i decide if a Touchscreen device is for me or not once again.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-07-28 13:08 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-28 16:10

On 2008-07-28 13:30:05, Boinng wrote:

its the same S60 that billions of people all over the world love to use. so whatever nastiness you might see, is actually not there
and unlike iphone, this actually is a multimedia phone, not a half-assed one like iphone with its 2MP and video-less camera. not to mention the screen carries almost double the pixels, which nigthblade, i'm sure you love to count.

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2008-07-28 15:12 ]
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 17:13

On 2008-07-28 16:10:53, QVGA wrote:
its the same S60 that billions of people all over the world love to use. so whatever nastiness you might see, is actually not there
and unlike iphone, this actually is a multimedia phone, not a half-assed one like iphone with its 2MP and video-less camera. not to mention the screen carries almost double the pixels, which nigthblade, i'm sure you love to count.

And yet, why has the iPhone become so popular? Because of the interface. That's what needs to be beaten in order for a phone to be declared an "iPhone killer". Jamming specs into a phone isn't the hard part.

You know, that's part of the reason why so many of my friends (mostly Nokia owners) are going for a SE as their next phone this year. It's because of the interface and SE's cool designs.

[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2008-07-28 16:14 ]
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-28 17:20

On 2008-07-28 17:13:23, NightBlade wrote:

And yet, why has the iPhone become so popular? Because of the interface. That's what needs to be beaten in order for a phone to be declared an "iPhone killer". Jamming specs into a phone isn't the hard part.

You know, that's part of the reason why so many of my friends (mostly Nokia owners) are going for a SE as their next phone this year. It's because of the interface and SE's cool designs.

[ This Message was edited by: NightBlade on 2008-07-28 16:14 ]

ugh!! did i even mention popularity? i meant beat the crap as in better than the iphone
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 17:45

not to mention the screen carries almost double the pixels, which nigthblade, i'm sure you love to count.

[ This Message was edited by: QVGA on 2008-07-28 15:12 ]

Well he can't complain about pixel density anymore! And unlike SE it's not on a sub 2inch screen either.

As for the iPhone, I see the Tube easily outselling it. Come on, who wouldn't want to have and try the NEW Nokia S60 touch?

I have an iPhone and iPhone 3G but I will definitely buy the 5800XM to run it through it's paces. I have a feeling I might be surprised by it.
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 18:09

What a silly thing to say. Firstly, you've no reason to say billions of people "love" that interface. They may certainly use it, but that's something else entirely. I use a Windows Mobile phone, I find the interface perfectly adequate, but do I and the millions of other WM users "love" it? Of course not.

Secondly, the "nastiness" of a UI is a subjective thing, which means that if I see nastiness there, then there's nastiness there. There really is no point in you telling me it's not.

Yes, the Iphone is a famous failure where multimedia is concerned. Nokia will certainly have that market sewn up.
Dextrr
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 18:20
Argue all you want folks but bottom line is: S60 Touch is another very potent weapon in Nokia's already vast arsenal!

This mid-range 5800XM is that good, just imagine their flagship touch device. Bigger screen with N96 or beyond specs perhaps?! *drools*
marty mcfly
Z770 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 19:32
Has anyone seen The Dark Knight yet? What looks like The Tube makes a cameo! It's a full touch screen Nokia phone, with a chrome accent around the edge like an iPhone. It's in a scene with Morgan Freeman and Christian Bale, about 25 mins into the movie. (Don't want to say anymore in case anyone's going to watch it!)

Nokia clearly have the product placement on this film, as every phone in Gotham is a Nokia lol. But the tube was a nice surprise. This is the only pic I can find online:

djin
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 19:51
is it really s60:S? the gallery icon looks like the s40 one!! or is it becuz of xpress music?
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 20:08

On 2008-07-28 17:20:14, QVGA wrote:
ugh!! did i even mention popularity? i meant beat the crap as in better than the iphone

As always, you fail to see my point.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-07-28 22:48
Is this being compared to the iPhone?

Somehow, I don't see this as any type of iPhone competitor, it just hasn't got the style and that UI looks awful - hopefully it will be dressed up a bit before it is released but in the style-stakes - it doesn't stand a chance from these pictures.

It will probably undercut the iPhone price-wise (not hard to do ) and out-gun it spec-wise but it'll just be seen as the cheaper alternative IMO

QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-29 07:07

On 2008-07-28 20:08:50, NightBlade wrote:

On 2008-07-28 17:20:14, QVGA wrote:

As always, you fail to see my point.

point? did you even have any? i was talking about how this phone is better technically and god knows from where you brought into the popularity and how people love iphone for its UI. screw the UI, people who have any idea about phones will not jump to a phone for its UI. If that were true, nokia would be bankrupt by now
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  1234  Next
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic