Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Apple unveils the 3G iPhone

Previous  123 ... 567 ... 128129130  Next
Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 03:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
doesnt speed depend on the operaotr aswell?

next to it, to comapre iphone with n95 is insane imo... apple is so far away from a nokia symbian like me too vladivostok...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 04:10
Dogmann...
From what I have read... I do agree with you it looks like o2 and Apple at least are only going to allow activation in their stores only...as well as carphonewarehouse....

But for o2 at least.. it is not just contract....

"iPhone is coming soon for Pay & Go

Customers will soon be able to enjoy all the great features of iPhone without a monthly contract with the iPhone for Pay & Go.

Just register your interest opposite and we'll drop you a line in early July to tell you what you need to do to be one of the first to get your hands on the new 3G iPhone."
"Switching to O2 is easy and you can keep your existing number

Switching to iPhone is easy and we have a wide range of tariff options available to suit all your needs. To purchase an iPhone with a Pay & Go tariff you need to be over 16 or over 18 if you want to purchase online.

To keep your existing number, just contact your current network provider for a PAC code. Then let us know your PAC code when you purchase your iPhone in-store, or contact us online when you have received your iPhone. Your existing number will be transferred within two working days of us receiving the PAC code. We'll give you a temporary number whilst you wait for your number to transfer so you can continue to use your iPhone.

Where to buy?

You'll be able to purchase the iPhone online at o2.co.uk, in one or our O2 high street stores or by calling O2. It will also be available at The Carphone Warehouse."
"Existing O2 Pay & Go customers upgrade to iPhone

If you're an existing O2 Pay & Go customer and want to upgrade to iPhone, you can do so at anytime and may also be eligible for an upgrade reward. You can choose to take your upgrade reward as either call time or as a discount off the price of the iPhone if you buy in one of our O2 stores*.

You'll be able to upgrade to iPhone in one of our high street stores or by calling one of our upgrade advisors."

*Upgrade rewards are based on your top-ups over the last 18 months or since connection or your last upgrade whichever is the most recent. Call time reward is based on 10% of your top-ups up to £200 and handset discount is based on 5% of your top-ups.

From https://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

No price advertised as yet....

[ This Message was edited by: smilerthe cheshirecat on 2008-06-10 03:11 ]
hiddensphinx
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 04:20
this is so going to be my next phone

no more symbian for me
soulsaber
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 04:31
yay this phone is coming to canada! now i can laugh at more people!
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 05:42
Funny thing, but correct me if I am wrong but the n95 runs a safari browser, so I am guessing its gonna be like the blackberry browser and compress stuff etc coming down the line.
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:16
I am so happy excisting o2 iPhone users can upgrade early and for free. Get the f-word in
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:37

On 2008-06-10 09:16:43, whentheleveebreaks wrote:
I am so happy excisting o2 iPhone users can upgrade early and for free. Get the f-word in

It's only free to upgrade to the 8GB version if you go on the £45 a month tariff or above.

@Everyone moaning about no video call camera and MMS

Also while I'm here, why is everyone moaning about no video call camera, and mms. How many of you can say you actually use those features regularly enough to warrant having them.

If I have something and don't use it for 6 months I obviously don't need it and get rid of it.

Apple has looked and noticed that people don't use this stuff and haven't put it in. Apple does this all the time, I remember when they stopped putting floppy drives into their Macs, they noticed people had stopped using them, for CD-Rs etc, so decided to remove it. People moaned about that but look now, everyone has followed.

Move on, use e-mail, it's like mms but better!
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:39
agreed, plus in 3/4 years of having a front facing cam on mobiles i used it once, and it was terrible.
Posted from an iPhone
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:41
I totally agree. I've used video calling probably 4 times and only to test the feature on the various handsets I have had that capability on. I've never used it to make a real video call other than that.

I've also almost never used MMS preferring instead to send an email with a picture attachment. About the only tie I used MMS was in the T68i when it had the happy birthday template as that was quite cool

I've read on a few sites now that the HSDPA support is up to 3.6mbits but there's nothing definite on the apple site that I can find

I'm hoping that Garmin get their act together and put out their gps software for the iphone because I much prefer that over tomtom, though I have no idea even if tomtom are going to do it either
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:44

On 2008-06-10 09:41:48, masseur wrote:

I'm hoping that Garmin get their act together and put out their gps software for the iphone because I much prefer that over tomtom, though I have no idea even if tomtom are going to do it either

Me thinks both Garmin and Tom Tom will both make software for the iPhone, they'd be silly not to. With the AppStore the market is going to be pretty big, in my opinion anyway.
voda_jon
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:44
and on engadget they have just dropped the bombshell that there wont be any more online activations at home!!!! will all be done in store or on line before u get the handset so bang goes buying one and jailbreaking by the looks....

taken from engadget:

Like many, you were probably planning on hanging back, sipping on Bacardi 151, and waiting for your new iPhone 3G to arrive in the mail following a timely pre-order. Unfortunately for your foot-kicked-onto-desk plans, Apple and AT&T have something else in mind. Word on the street is that you will not be able to purchase and / or activate a new device via any other method than in-store, thus doing a full 180 on the way the dream team was doing business last time around. So not only has Apple's revenue sharing gone into that good night, but it appears the innovative DIY activation that was such a big deal this time last year is shuffling off as well. So what gives guys? And more importantly, why are you making us leave the house? Hear what AT&T reps had to say about it after the break.

Ah well maybe o2 might get a few more customers from this!
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:48

On 2008-06-10 09:37:06, mswallis wrote:

Also while I'm here, why is everyone moaning about no video call camera, and mms. How many of you can say you actually use those features regularly enough to warrant having them.

If I have something and don't use it for 6 months I obviously don't need it and get rid of it.

Agree with you here. Front facing camera is not that essential. I doubt many use 3G video call

Apple has looked and noticed that people don't use this stuff and haven't put it in. Apple does this all the time, I remember when they stopped putting floppy drives into their Macs, they noticed people had stopped using them, for CD-Rs etc, so decided to remove it. People moaned about that but look now, everyone has followed.

But not including video recording, BT support and better camera is just stupid.

Why so desperate to defend Iphone at whatever silly means? Email is not better than MMS. There are completely different in application.

masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:51
@voda_jon

but don't forget there is still the pay and go option of getting the iphone so you don't have to have a contract. just get the phone on payg and take it home and do as before.

its early days yet and I'm sure more about this topic will come to light
mswallis
T68i
PM
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:58
@mib1800

True about the Bluetooth support, I think the main reason they do not allow you to send files via Bluetooth is because of the iPod functionality and copyright of the songs. As they sell songs through iTunes they obviously do not want people to be sharing songs bought from them. This doesn't answer why you cant send pictures and things though. I have to say I've had an iPhone for quite a while now and I don't miss not being able to receive or send things via Bluetooth, when someone hears a song they like that I've got and are like "send me that" I'm quite happy to be able to say I can't, much less annoying.

Yeah you're right e-mail and mms are different, with e-mail you can send and receive, full resolution photo's, mp3's, files, documents etc.

[ This Message was edited by: mswallis on 2008-06-10 09:00 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-10 09:59

Why so desperate to defend Iphone at whatever silly means? Email is not better than MMS. There are completely different in application.

I think what was implied was that, more and more people are getting email on the mobiles now, and that is getting a more popular way to send pictures to your friends rather than sending out poor quality ones on mms.

Posted from an iPhone
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 567 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic