Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-24 14:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2008-12-22 18:45:51, frank2345babies wrote:
Hi all i am thinking of buying an iphone and have just a couple of questions.

If using a turbo sim. do you have full compatability?

Is the safari browser data hungry? as i am planning on using this on vodafone with only a 500mb add on and i dont have wifi access.

is having a fast home internet package a must as i am only using mobile broadband which is nowhere near as fast as it should be in my area?

Do you have to have purchased music from itunes in order for it to work on the iphone?

will probably think of some more questions but these can get me going. thanks for your help!

Hi

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by Turbo SIM but if you talking of HSDPA reception, then yes the iPhone is compatible. I have tested my iPhone 3G at over 1.7 Mbps but generally my SE V640 has faster download speeds in the same areas by 30%.

Yes the iPhone 3G is data hungry. I go thru my 256 MB allowance in about 14 days leaving me high and dry for the rest of the month. When you realize that Safari doesn't store webpages therefore reloading a page when you press the back key, plus mistakes from touching the wrong hyperlink, plus pages designed for the iPhone are smaller - 1 esato webpage = 3 Mobile esato pages, plus downloading apps and constant updates, plus GPS via 3G, it's easy to see were it all goes.

I have now gone back to Mobile Broadband after trying ( and failing ) to survive exclusively on the iPhone plus wifi at Uni and yes, you do need a fast connection at home. Why? Because of the constant Internet access needed by iTunes for iStore and AppStore and for downloading iPhone software updates. Update 2.1 was an eyewatering 238MB download and 2.2 (which I haven't done yet) is a painful 243MB behemoth. Expect a firmware update that size every two months at the current rate. Apps on the iPhone are great but if you get too many you'll spend all your time and bandwidth downloading updates for them too. Factor in podcasts and you'll understand why I've opted for the 3GB data plan not the 1GB plan I used to get by on okay.

You don't have to buy music from apple, but I found it easier to re-encode all my mp3 files to 128kbps AAC using iTunes which took an entire weekend. I now have 68 albums, 57 handycam videos, 20-something Apps and 400+ photos on my 8GB iPhone with heaps of room to spare.

**posted from my iPhone **

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-12-24 13:37 ]
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-24 18:34
Woo! They showcased the unlock, hopefully by the time I come back from Holidays it will be ready and bug free!
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-12-24 21:34
thanks for all the advise mate. really helpfull. now only have a few questions left.

is there a data/gprs counter or monitor on the iphone or an app which does this available through the app store.

jailbreaking:
is this legal?
is it a straightforward process?
is this just like hacking a phone?
what are the main benefits over a standard iphone?

thanks for info on further questions. i should be getting my iphone shortly. had to pay for it via paypal echeque which is taking a lifetime to clear and to be honest i am quite scared incase i am being scammed. dont think i have the nerves to buy anything big through ebay after this LOL
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-25 03:50
@frank

The iPhone does have a data counter but you must remember to reset it manually so I don't bother with it. I keep track of my daily data use on the VodafoneNZ website. I haven't looked for an App but there must be one because I bought a very good fuel economy tracking App called Gashog which wouldn't be that different in principle.

I think Apple envisaged the iPhone being used with Urban/Corporate/Home wifi and unlimited data plans but unlimited isn't in Vodafone Group's vocabulary so we'll always be caught out somewhere along the way.

I haven't jailbroken yet nor have I debranded any of my SE handsets - V800, V630, V640. I value my warranty and don't wish to void it.

The iPhone is beautifully built and awesome at times while intenseely frustrating at others. It suits Mac users best and users of Microsoft software also but if like me you prefer third party software such as Opera browser and MPE then it's a bit handicapped. If Opera release a browser for the iPhone then I'd jailbreak. I don't like safari much.
frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-01-01 16:09
Well I now have my new iPhone and must admit I am enjoying it so far. Thankfully it has 2.1 firmware so the unlock will be possible. Is this unlock process ready for general us and some advice about jailbraking would be appreciated?
scottt
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-01-01 17:33

On 2009-01-01 16:09:11, frank2345babies wrote:
Well I now have my new iPhone and must admit I am enjoying it so far. Thankfully it has 2.1 firmware so the unlock will be possible. Is this unlock process ready for general us and some advice about jailbraking would be appreciated?

The unlocks out and it actually requires you to update to 2.2 for the newer baseband...

Just unlocked my White 16GB iPhone 3G using yellowsn0w

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/po[....]dont-eat-yellowsn0w#idc-ctools
I my 32GB iPhone 3GS

spikeyjac
W890 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-01 18:09
Nice one scottt!
Im thinking of getting a iPhone and I have on my orange contract, the websave thing that orange introduced and then quickly scrapped, but theyve never taken it off my account!
Say if I was just using it for browsing, not all the time like maybe one or twice a day for 10 min would that last me for the month?
I read the post at the top of the page btw
feedback
(+10 -0)

frank2345babies
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2009-01-06 20:45
Well still loving my iPhone which is now jailbroken. Haven't bothered unlocking yet as I am enjoying the free data which comes with the path sim. I have a few more questions to ask however.
Which is generally considered better bitesms or realsms?
Are cydia and installer basically the same thing? If not what are the major differences?
Ok and the speakers onthe iPhone. It seems to me that only one of the grills has any nose coming out. This. Is most notable when playing hero of Sparta and my right hand presses against the speaker and no sound escapes. Is the other grill meant to be just as loud or is it effectivly a tweeter of sorts)
Finally is there an ebook reader out there that can take mobipocket books as I know as sourse where I can get them free?
Thanks in advance for answering my questions?

smilerthe cheshirecat
Z600
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 02:49
You could try Stanza from the apple store... it also has a good library of free classic ebooks to download...

[ This Message was edited by: smilerthe cheshirecat on 2009-01-07 01:50 ]
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 10:33

On 2009-01-06 20:45:57, frank2345babies wrote:
Well still loving my iPhone which is now jailbroken. Haven't bothered unlocking yet as I am enjoying the free data which comes with the path sim. I have a few more questions to ask however.
Which is generally considered better bitesms or realsms?
Are cydia and installer basically the same thing? If not what are the major differences?
Ok and the speakers onthe iPhone. It seems to me that only one of the grills has any nose coming out. This. Is most notable when playing hero of Sparta and my right hand presses against the speaker and no sound escapes. Is the other grill meant to be just as loud or is it effectivly a tweeter of sorts)
Finally is there an ebook reader out there that can take mobipocket books as I know as sourse where I can get them free?
Thanks in advance for answering my questions?

To answer some of your questions...

biteSMS or iRealSMS, it really comes down to preference. iRealSMS gives more of an old school feel with 'Inbox' 'Outbox' 'Sent Items' etc. Both offer landscape typing, forwarding and a character limit indicator. I personally use biteSMS cos i like the feel and UI of the stock text app, and it's just an extension of that with more features.

Cydia and Installer? Cydia everytime. Dont bother with installer. Cydia owns now like Installer owned on the older, pre 2.0, firmwares.

Regarding the speaker situation, it's just a mono speaker, and the other 'grill' on the opposite side is the microphone. IMO the speaker is surprising loud considering it comes out of a tiny section!

Hope that helps
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 12:22
actually Ryan irealsms has the ability to do both the traditional sms veiw and you can also switch it to the conversation view identical to the stock apple sms, you also get a quick reply feature that means that if u are in another another app you dont need to close it to reply to a sms, u just get a popup keyboard and edit box, the only advantage of Bitesms is that it is free

Stanza supports most formats of ebooks and copying books from pc to iphone is very easy over wifi

[ This Message was edited by: NoKia on 2009-01-07 11:24 ]
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 12:29
Oh lol ok... think i was getting confused thinking that 'MySMS' was the only SMS app able to switch between new and traditional view. And yeah i really like that quick reply feature, very very handy to be able to reply to a message whilst in another app.

Can i ask you something....how well does iRealSMS integrate with Intelliscreen? Any conflicts or anything?
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 12:34
i am not quite sure because i dont have intelliscreen anymore, i dont recall any problems with it when i did have it tho
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 12:38
Oh ok cool. Quite tempted to check it out again after you reminded me about that quick reply feature. Can get a bit annoying having to launch the SMS app everytime and waiting for it to load etc. Cheers

ps not having Intelliscreen installed is criminal
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-01-07 12:45
lol ...i know i will get back to installing it, i just went through a phase of theme changing and clearing up
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 848586 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic