Author Apple unveils the 3G iPhone
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-12-04 16:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-12-04 16:37:22, voda_jon wrote:
@boinng....

there is an unofficial way in asia. they desolder the baseband chip and reprogram it and then resolder it back on. this unlocks the handset but once you update and it writes the baseband it is relocked again.

costs about $100 to get it done.

Really? Crikey. So that could explain Scouser75's predicament - his phone's been physically modded!

It all seems like a lot of hassle...
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-04 16:58
I doubt it as his iPhone was physically replaced by Apple in Italy as he had to send the first one he got back to them due to a fault....
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-04 19:31
Yup. As Ryan confirmed, mine is officially replaced by Sata in Italy. So no dodgy backstreet unlocking!!

I've checked the serial code and imei number and these both show that the phone is Italian. BUT the problem is that the Model Code says the phone is an AT&T USA phone. And here-in is where people have been havin problems. The 2.2 update recognises the phone as an unlocked USA phone and so locks it up.

I've contacted a very nice lady at apple who's looking into the matter. And is gonna get back to me next week.
Barachus
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-05 11:46
cheers Ryan, that does look cool but i think it will take up too much space on my springboard
hey did you notice that intelliscreen 2.32 popped up on the hackulus source?
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-05 18:40
lol yeah i did notice it... i've already purchased a license for it though Came out on my statement at around £6.60. Not too bad and well worth it

Got myself the Incase Slider today in matte black... Exactly what i wanted and provides more coverage than my other Contour flick. Got a lovely feel to it too
Neo-Tech
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-06 18:46
Great, my Cydia's stopped working, another restore.

Just to make things clearer for you guys:

iPhone 2G
Can be unlocked unofficially and will always be unlockable, no matter what. If you do upgrade your baseband in this iPhone, you can always downgrade. But remember, this iPhone will never be able to be unlocked offically.

iPhone 3G
Can be officially unlocked but not unofficially, not yet anyways. In the newer firmwares, 2.2 onwards Apple have updated the baseband so you can't use TurboSIMS and stuff like that, the only solution is to get a custom IPSW or stay at 2.1. If you are officially unlocked, as in from when you took it out of the box, you can upgrade to any firmware as you wish, even if it upgrades the baseband.
Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-07 12:32
Nice summary, thanks. [addsig]
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-07 20:50

On 2008-12-06 18:46:18, Neo-Tech wrote:
Great, my Cydia's stopped working, another restore.

Just to make things clearer for you guys:

iPhone 2G
Can be unlocked unofficially and will always be unlockable, no matter what. If you do upgrade your baseband in this iPhone, you can always downgrade. But remember, this iPhone will never be able to be unlocked offically.

iPhone 3G
Can be officially unlocked but not unofficially, not yet anyways. In the newer firmwares, 2.2 onwards Apple have updated the baseband so you can't use TurboSIMS and stuff like that, the only solution is to get a custom IPSW or stay at 2.1. If you are officially unlocked, as in from when you took it out of the box, you can upgrade to any firmware as you wish, even if it upgrades the baseband.

Regarding the iPhone 3G quote - Neo-Tech you're almost correct. But apparently, if you bought a Officially Unlocked 3G handset BUT it has a Model Code from a country where the handset is locked you might be in trouble if you update to 2.2.

The reason being that when updating the handset will assume that you are trying to update an unofficially unlocked handset and therefore mess up the baseband.

I'm going to try updating my official unlocked italian iphone with a USA Model Number so will confirm if this is true or not. Apple have assured me that this will not lock up the phone. But if it does they will unlock it for me again!!!

Wish me luck folks
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 18:05
Lads, I finally plucked up the b4lls and went and done the software update.........

And [with a sigh of relief] it all went swimmingly

So far no problems at all (other than losing 3G signal once in a while!).

The phone didn't lock up in anyway. All my data, music, contacts etc was all still there post update.

I haven't had a chance to play about with the new features yet - but as there aren't that many shouldn't be playing about too much.

If any problems will keep you updated.

A very relieved man
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-08 18:53
phew, good work. At least it now puts your mind at rest for any future update.

Had a slight 'mare applying the Power Support Crystal film today... just couldn't get it aligned perfectly. I say perfectly because my Incase Slider was pushing up the protector where it was slightly off (i think i recall @Nokia or @scouser_75 talking about this) .... So, i wasted one of the films trying to reapply it and ended up screwing it up.

The second one I put on is perfectly aligned, however... a tiny tiny hair snuck underneath but it's in the top right hand corner so I can live with that lol
Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 01:00
I don't know whether to get the Power Support Crystal or Anti-Glare... [addsig]
JiggyJaggy
P800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 12:57
Can anyone recommend some good earphones for the iphone? Pref the ones that sit in your ear, and dont want to spend more than say £20-30. Someone told me skull candy ones were good once...
UK's only deidcated online Vertu Sales
scouser_75
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 13:12

On 2008-12-09 01:00:44, Sebby wrote:
I don't know whether to get the Power Support Crystal or Anti-Glare...

I was speaking to a bloke in the Apple Store (a customer) who had had both these. He said there really was no difference between the 2, what-so-ever! He was baffled as to why Apple has 2 version of the film!!
RyaN
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 14:16

On 2008-12-09 12:57:13, JiggyJaggy wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good earphones for the iphone? Pref the ones that sit in your ear, and dont want to spend more than say £20-30. Someone told me skull candy ones were good once...

Not sure about skull candy headphones, but if you're looking for some good in-ear ones then i can recommend a couple for you.

Goldring G200's on play.com for £17.99..RRP is usually £40. Bought a pair yesterday...so hopefully they are still at that price.

I personally use a set of Sennheiser CX500's that i got off Amazon Marketplace for around £38 inc del. Really good little headphones, usually retail around £50... but be careful with buying Senn's of Marketplace or eBay though as there are lots of fakes around.

The Senn CX300's are also a good bet too for around £15

There were also Shure E110's on play.com yesterday for £17.99 but they're no longer at that price.
JiggyJaggy
P800
PM
Posted: 2008-12-09 14:25
thanks for that, will have a look now
UK's only deidcated online Vertu Sales
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 808182 ... 128129130  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic