Forum > General discussions > General > Aussie goes hologram high-tech

Author Aussie goes hologram high-tech
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-29 05:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
4:07PM Tuesday May 27, 2008

ADELAIDE - Forget conference calls or video crosses - beaming your hologram interstate for a live chat is closer to becoming a household reality.

In what Telstra says is a national first, the telco today beamed a mobile three dimensional image of its chief technology officer, Hugh Bradlow, from Melbourne to Adelaide to give a live business presentation.

"In Melbourne, we have a high definition video camera which is filming me as I stand here," Dr Bradlow told journalists.

"That signal is being taped across the network and the far end is using a very smart optical projection system to create a holograph, or my virtual presence, in Adelaide."

Dr Bradlow could see who he was talking to in Adelaide via a big, flat panel screen, allowing the real time interaction.

"It has the look and feel of being in the same room together," he said.

"You can envisage this in education, in entertainment, in news media as a holographic system, but the whole class of telepresence systems is going to be across all businesses."

source

NZ's Current affairs TV show Campbell Live will be featuring this story tonight so I post a link to the on-demand video on thier webpage once its up.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Davo_169
T650 Gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-29 06:25
pointless!!
perhaps spend less money on novelties and more money on bringing high speed internet to australia. i hate telstra!
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-30 08:15
Telstra IS bringing high speed internet to Australia, thats what this technology showcases. Telstra's iPhone will be capable of 42Mbps by Xmas making it the fastest in the world so we over here in NZ are very jealous. And your getting a new high-speed fibre optic broadband cable joining OZ with the Asian mainland which will speed up you internet speed further. We're piggy-backing off the deal, getting the cable entended across the Tasman to bring the total internet cables linking NZ to the world to... 2.

Telstra shows that OZ not that far behind.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-30 10:46
Here is the link to the video I mentioned.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/VideoBro[....]7682/cat/84/Default.aspx#video
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi