Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Diamond

Author Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 vs HTC Touch Diamond
dancingfate
K700
PM
Posted: 2008-05-21 15:39
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I want X1 right now!
Apple iPhone 4, HTC Evo 3D, HTC Sensation, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC Desire S, HTC Wildfire, S001, SO905iCS, T650 (Gold & Green), C901, W800, K660, K700, Beibei (G702), Severine (DEAD)
Vipera ammodytes
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-05-21 15:44
sorry dogmann...

what s**t now he will talk??
OnePlus 8
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-21 16:12
Working with MS on apps for the X1 doesnt constitute working on the kernel. SE have with MS worked on panels and other apps but the kernel compilation and optimization was carried out by HTC. But loalization etc is being carried out by SE. SE have out sourced the development and manufacture of the basic X1 to HTC, while app dev and design was in house. Like I said theyre not large enough yet to have a team working on it base up. Ive seen devlopment of new platforms for cellphones and trust me its not a joke, working on LJ inhouse practically destroyed Moto, the only company today with such resources is Nokia. The X1 and other out sourced future produts are SEs way of getting resources for future R&D.

With the new whitepapers the X1 trumps the diamond. No doubt. The app issue still exists though.

I dont know why you think that im a phone hater. Just wanted to point out that the X1 is'nt the most technically advanced phone atm. Dogmann was trying to do the same thing.

With the increase in RAM its a worthy buy. And depending on the phones out at the time it might be my next phone as I need that extra RAM .
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-21 16:38

On 2008-05-21 16:12:20, aksd wrote:
...With the new whitepapers the X1 trumps the diamond. No doubt. The app issue still exists though.

What IS the app issue? I can't find it anywhere. Was it the removed post awhile back?

I dont know why you think that im a phone hater. Just wanted to point out that the X1 is'nt the most technically advanced phone atm. Dogmann was trying to do the same thing.

You guys gave a good try. It is better to try and fail than to fail at trying.

With the increase in RAM its a worthy buy. And depending on the phones out at the time it might be my next phone as I need that extra RAM .

Aah, one convert...is there another?

This is all fun for me. I don't want to make anyone seriously angry. It is a good thing to talk with others from around the world. Now can we all get together, hold hands, and sing in a Michael Jackson voice:

WE ARE THE WORLD,
WE ARE THE CHILDREN,
WE ARE THE ONES WHO.......

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-21 15:41 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-21 16:57
@WhyBe

Maybe you wouldn't feel quite so persecuted if you posted with less venom and stupidity and didn't act your age which I'm guessing is what 10, 12 tops.

Also if you were aware of this new White Paper why didn't you just draw our attention to it? What i have quoted is from the Original White Paper and unlike you i have better things to do then spend all my time searching about the X1. So was unaware of an unannounced new White Paper but don't believe all you read as SE has a history of going back and delete functions it fails to deliver from White papers after release.

Again i will wait to see the X1 eventually released and working before judging it fully and seeing as the latest reports suggest it is still 6 months away a lot can happen in 6 months especially in Mobiles.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-21 15:58 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-21 17:05
LOL you're hillarious. I do take phones seriously since I am going to do my Msc in a related field . Sorry for the OT.

Anyway native VGA apps will not work properly on WVGA as the tabs and buttons are written wrt sreen size. The retail apps will release two versions but freeware will be far fewer. Converting apps from VGA to WVGA wont be too difficult for the dev though but we will see fewer freeware. Not a big issue for many. .NET apps will work flawlessly though.

Lets hope it releases on time though. The Raphael is expected in Sept according to a post on Mobile review.
Humble
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-05-21 21:15
Welcomed addition, Now the real problem is not about how much memory you add, But utilising it correctly, Memory Management is paramount(dreaded memory leaks,etc dont want to go into too much detail)
Personal dont quote me on it, But its the collaboration between the qualcomm platform architect designers and HTC coders or S.E and how they mesh together to understand the 3D architecture, I just hope that there isnt an errata in the MSM7200 (please please no TLB like problem) and a compromise in the addition of memory had to be made, sometimes when designing a theoretical platform to the real life one, unseeable problems can occur, I can explain if you like... any way sorry to drone on,
but what im trying to say hope the yields are good, and efficient implementation of the SDK in the graphical modules (qtv etc) i

[ This Message was edited by: Humble on 2008-05-21 20:21 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-05-22 14:04

On 2008-05-21 14:28:53, WhyBe wrote:
@Everybody and the Haters:
THE X1 WHITE PAPER HAS BEEN REVISED!!! AS OF 5-16-08

You'll get used to it. Eventually when and if SE can't deliver then they will go back and start deleting the offending paragraphs from the white paper. We've all seen in with theP990. Experience shows not to trust white papers but wait for the actual device.
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
XPHCTOC
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-22 17:45
Comparing X1 and HTC diamond is just like comparing a Bugatti with a Jaguar ([b]2 different segments[b/]: high luxe and luxe).
And comparing two cars like a bugatti and a jaguar has no interest.

X1 has a led __ Diamond? no flash no led

X1 doesn't have a big internal memory (400MB) __ Diamond has 4GB but as far I know it doesn't have micro SD card slot. We now know that X1 is SDHC compatible (sandisk has announced at CES a new micro SDHC 12GB and we will see very soon micro SDHC 16GB).

X1 is bulkier and heavier than the Diamond I must admit. But it has this impressive arc slider keyboard and THAT makes a huge difference for the professional consummers who want to write notes, mails or edit texts for a conference. Writing a sms or a mail with the X1 must be "orgasmic". lol

Let's make some stupid comparisons about battery life. X1 (1500mAh) battery rules! Diamond with its poor 900mAh is useless. My cousin has bought 2 HTC device (the touch and the tytnII) their battery life really sucks.

I think the only mistake SE has made with X1 is the definition of its segment. Experience-multimedia.
For me X1 has clearly been created for professional users (metalic shape-arc slider keyboard-GPS-WM6, xperia pannels).
They simply don't want to admit that they have created an indirect "competitor" for the P serie.

For me X1 and Htc touch Diamond aren't true competitors (Raphael yes). The guy who wants to have a full qwerty keyboard and a very good battery in his pda phone will definitly choose the X1.

[ This Message was edited by: XPHCTOC on 2008-05-22 17:25 ]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-23 08:52

On 2008-05-22 17:45:50, XPHCTOC wrote:
...I think the only mistake SE has made with X1 is the definition of its segment. Experience-multimedia.

I believe it is, "Premium Experience. Communication and Entertainment Convergence."

...For me X1 has clearly been created for professional users (metalic shape-arc slider keyboard-GPS-WM6, xperia pannels).
They simply don't want to admit that they have created an indirect "competitor" for the P serie.

Xperia is 's premium branding. IMO the X1 is now the top of the line device. If there were a Pseries device to top X1, it would either have been announced before the X1, or released significantly later like 2nd half of 2009. Besides, UIQ/Symbian just doesn't have the all around capability of WM. I think the pSeries (going by preliminary p5i specs) will be the "lesser" devices to the X1. Not it's competitor.
XPHCTOC
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-23 09:31

On 2008-05-23 08:52:23, WhyBe wrote:

I believe it is, "Premium Experience. Communication and Entertainment Convergence."

Xperia is 's premium branding. IMO the X1 is now the top of the line device. If there were a Pseries device to top X1, it would either have been announced before the X1, or released significantly later like 2nd half of 2009. Besides, UIQ/Symbian just doesn't have the all around capability of WM. I think the pSeries (going by preliminary p5i specs) will be the "lesser" devices to the X1. Not it's competitor.

"Premium Experience. Communication and Entertainment Convergence." Ok but it has Windows mobile professional and not the classic Windows mobile... I've never told X1 was a competitor to P serie but a indirect "competitor".
You must admit that Xperia and P have a lot of common functions and common points

Quick office in Pserie
Windows mobile office in Xperia

QWERTY keyboard with rocker in P serie
full QWERTY keyboard in X serie

Big touch screens in the 2 series.

Except UIQ-Symbian fanatics, people that used to buy Pserie will move to Xperia. I think that adding a WinMo phone in SE portofolio is very smart. A lot of WiMo consummers bored by small battery life in pdaphones will move to Sony Ericsson Xperia.

X1 rules

[ This Message was edited by: XPHCTOC on 2008-05-23 08:38 ]
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-05-24 07:09
@XPHCTOC

Yes. X1 and Diamond are not competing directly. X1 is targetted towards the communicator segment. If I wanted a multimedia/smartphone to replace my existing (daily-use) phone, the Diamond would triumph over X1 mainly due to the size and weight. X1 is relatively lightweight compared to other communicator but as a phone it is in the heavyweight category.

If the diamond didnt exist then these buyers may opt for X1 and put up with its weight because its specs. But the fact that Diamond is on the market 1/2 year earlier than X1, a lot of these buyers would opt for the Diamond as the X1 doesnt really have anything compelling over Diamond.

Yes you said that X1 has a card slot but to a lot of people 4G built-in of Diamond is good enough. X1 battery size is certainly an advantage but if the much-touted battery sipping of the qualcomm chip is true, then battery size is not too crucial if it can last about 2-days on moderate use. Look at the N95 with its mediocre battery life but still sold in the truckload. X1 has 64Mb more RAM than diamond but it is a quite likely scenario that both will end up with about same free RAM after boot due to X1 xperia panels memory hog.

Dont forget that Diamond also have advantages over X1 as well. Apart from the crucial size+weight and release date factor, Diamond has accelerometer which X1 is lacking. And Diamond is bundled with Opera 9.5 which certainly beat the IE implemented in X1. imo, Diamond touch interface will more useable and better than X1 since this is HTC 2nd go at touch UI but SE first. Given SE track record (and M-R SE-friendly reviewer comment on the issues with X1 software), I would'nt hold out for trouble-free X1.

And lastly, I would expect the price of X1 to be much more than Diamond. Given the time-lag, by the time X1 appears, the Diamond price would be a steal compared to X1. This is certainly enough for Diamond to mop up all the remaining X1 potential buyers looking for feature/multimedia phones. For those looking at communicator class device, then X1 would face-off with HTC Raphael.

The reality is X1 is good device but it is FAR from being ultimate. As a mass market multimedia/feature/smart phone, it faces off with Diamond, N96, N82, N95-8g, Iphone and soon to be announced (and maybe earlier to the market) HTC Raphael and N85.

So my question is always the same. Why should anyone (SE fanboys excluded) picks X1 amidst a whole bunch of equally capable phones out there?

WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-24 07:53

On 2008-05-24 07:09:00, mib1800 wrote:
So my question is always the same. Why should anyone (SE fanboys excluded) pick X1 amidst a whole bunch of equally capable phones out there?

Because they aren't delusional
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2008-08-15 17:22

On 2008-05-24 07:53:04, WhyBe wrote:

On 2008-05-24 07:09:00, mib1800 wrote:
So my question is always the same. Why should anyone (SE fanboys excluded) pick X1 amidst a whole bunch of equally capable phones out there?

Because they aren't delusional

Seriously @whybe?
Given the track record SE have in their last premium "flagship phones" do you honestly believe that the Xperia will be delivered on schedule and with the spec level and promised performance by Sony Ericsson? I honestly don't think so!

Let me elaborate
P1i - they still haven't fixed the green tint when taking photos!
- having to go through the entire set-up process after restoring a backup (true for the P990 as well)

P990i - RAM issues
-lack of proper support from SE
-no animated wallpapers as promised
-using P990 users as beta testers!

These are just a few issues with the last flagship phones which came to mind. Bottom line - I would not shower the Xperia with accolades UNTIL it is released and it has been put through it's paces.

On the other hand, HTC HAVE released the Diamond as well as the Touch Pro now and while there are a few problems, HTC have quickly responded and released an updated ROM which has addressed a lot of the initial issues.
If it is to be it is up to me!
jakontil
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-08-15 17:50
X1 is still along way to go, meanwhile i get myself a diamond, it's quite good and beyond my expectation out of this small gadget
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi