Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Official HTC Diamond discussion

Previous  123 ... 1314 151617  Next
Author Official HTC Diamond discussion
dainesefreak
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 14:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Masseur - I know my mates Orange handset has GPS software on it. He's out at a different office today otherwise I'd have a quick look and tell you what it is.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 14:19
I'll check that myself when I get home as mine is coming from Orange, but there was no mention on the web site of the inclusion of tomtom or similar
great if there is!
dainesefreak
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 14:22
I've sent him a text asking but it will probably take him half an hour to figure out how to type a reply.
dainesefreak
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 16:19
It seems that it's Google Maps no proper directional GPS such as TomTom.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 16:29
Users of this phone do you think its better than the iphone. Is that screen better than the iphones screen. At least the camera is i love the look of this phone am stuck on which to get.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-15 20:37
its too early to make a comparison yet between iphone and diamond but my first impression of the diamond is

1) wow! its tiny for a WM device!
2) its very finger friendly, not just touchflo but also just acknowledging dialogues (ok/cancel etc)
3) GPS works just as well as the TyTN II and iPhone, for example in google maps mode
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-16 09:53
ok, I have tomtom installed and that works well, though I'd prefer to get the Garmin XT installed

One thing I don't like is the in call behaviour of the screen. On the iPhone you put the phone next to your ear and the screen goes off so your ear doesn't press on screen buttons, then when you move the phone away from your ear the screen comes back on.

On the diamond the screen goes off ok but you have to press a button to get the screen back on again which is a bit of a pain when you're choosing menu options to get to talk to the person you want using the numeric keypad.

All in all the touchflo experience is ok, and its nice not to have to get the stylus out all the time, but its no comparison to the experience on the iphone

the wifi seems to be more sensitive than the iPhone. Sitting here at my desk the diamond can see 4 local wifi networks constantly but my iPhone can only see 3 of those and then not all 3 at the same time always

the screen is certainly very clear but its not very good outside compared to the iPhone. In my opinion, if they are going to call this phone a "touch" there should be no hardware buttons and the display should cover the whole front. Speaking of the buttons, they feel a bit plasticy when pressed

After the previous WM phones its pleasant to have all my usual apps installed on such a compact device, and I think its a good move by HTC, but for me the iPhone still is my current number 1 device

btw, my Orange diamond is locked but I see no branding whatsoever. Unfortunately, since my last Orange purchase they have changed their rules and you cannot get an unlock code until the phone has been on the account for 3 months, even if you are an existing customer with a perfect history! No matter though, Orange charge £20 for the lock code but for £22.99 you can go here and get one.
bbasra
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2008-07-16 11:09
So how does the web browsing compare to the iphone?
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-16 11:44
the browser renders pages very well and manages to fit even wide pages onto the screen, but that doesn't mean you can actually read them though! however, a double tap will toggle zoom in/zoom out and then you can quite nicely drag the page around with your finger/thumb to read the content.

Its not a bad job given the small screen but again the large screen on the iPhone wins this over.

the tabbed browsing, which you don't get in pocket IE works just as well on this opera as it does in the iphone

also, opera uses the full screen to show the page content by default which is something that pocket ie can only do by selection and option and which safari doesn't do at all
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-16 15:02
I'm not that fussed with the on screen keyboard entry, especially in portrait mode.

if you entering text into a field in the lower half of the screen, the keyboard pops up over it and you can't see what you are typing!

they keyboard itself in portrait mode is qwerty but most keys have two letters and you press the button once for the first letter and twice if you want the second. Thats in alpha mode, in T9 mode you need only press the key once, of course, and it figures out what you want

so far it seems to be sucking battery worse than my old TyTN II when I first got that, but I'll give it some time to settle down.

...and this screen going off when near the ear and not coming back on when away from the ear during a call is getting quite annoying now. It also means its harder to end the call from my end! I found a registry edit to stop it but that has other consequences I don't want

its still a nifty little package though
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-17 15:29
The FM radio doesn't seem to be all that good. Sitting on the train this morning I could hardly get any reception or find any stations unless I manually tuned to frequencies I know.

has anyone else tried the radio?
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-18 14:59
My radio doesnt find any stations, even if I put it in manually... Kinda strange not to find a single radio station. Also I dont think it works with the wire of the headset as the aerial coz I moved around and still got nothing.

Battery life im affraid is still very bad 8 - 10 hours on my side and iv been using it for a week now.

I upgraded my codecs for the walkman players seems to play better but there no input jack, managed to find a Moto headset, more bass.

Regarding the Touch Flo it it uses to much ram and maybe even the battery. but its nifty. The keyboard over the input area also bothers me, not sure how they missed that. Im using the full qwerty its little lower than the compact version.

PS whats the best free navigation maps that work with the GPS on the phone? I tried Nav4all but its not clear and I cant put in my email on registering. We have a free map solution from www.leaf.co.za but its not compatible with the built in GPS of the phone.

Also the You tube app, is there a way to change the site to stream from other sites?

I still havent recieved my iPhone yet!
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 09:38
How can I see the data usage? My data bill is at R600 around 60 pounds and I havent downloaded much...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 09:38
you can use Spb GPRS monitor to monitor your data usage

I got TomTom 7 working on my diamond last night and can confirm it works fine with the 6.75 maps
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-07-21 13:54

On 2008-07-21 09:38:17, masseur wrote:
you can use Spb GPRS monitor to monitor your data usage

I got TomTom 7 working on my diamond last night and can confirm it works fine with the 6.75 maps

Did that TT7 come with the phone, or did you download it? I know there's a cab floating around on XDA Devs, but confusion over what maps you can use with it - I currently have TT6 and 6.75 maps working fine on my kaiser, and I'm mulling over the upgrade, it would be nice if I could at least keep my 6.75 maps for now.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1314 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic