Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson to merge Java, Flash for mobile phones

Author Sony Ericsson to merge Java, Flash for mobile phones
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 12:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson to merge Java, Flash for mobile phones

Sony Ericsson has announced to unveil its project called Capuchin which will enable the software developers to create applications for mobile phones using both Java ME and Adobe System’s Flash Lite.

In fact the company plans to release a set of APIs (Applications programming interfaces) and a software development kit in the second half of the year to merge two different mobile development styles.

Ulf Wretling, general manager and head of developer program and communications for Sony Ericsson said “This project will enable the Java developers to use the richer user interface technology found in Flash Lite. The developer may also use Java’s three-dimensional graphics for a mobile game and Flash Lite for menus.”

Sony Ericsson is expected to come up with such technology-incorporated mobile phones in the second half of the year.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-30 14:42
Definately awesome news! Hmm, looks also like SE will allow a much different ( & hopefully more user tweakable - supported by SE for apps like XS++) take on the familiar menu system.

Now these phones that support this in the 2nd half of 2008 (most likely released after October to be a safe bet); will DEFINATELY NEED a more powerful yet energy efficient CPU, hopefully dual core with Arm9 & 11 support.

I'm just hoping no more lag, as flash lite STILL uses lots of memory. Why SE doesn't just order a larger batch of powerful & efficient cpu's for the entire lineup (Walkman & A200/250 rumored phones are going to offer SOOO much more features that older cpu's just don't cut it any longer), I just don't know.

Great news, great post!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Zimmey
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 15:57
I think this is a mistake - the main strength of SE phones is their simple, responsive and uniform UI...
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-30 16:30

On 2008-04-30 15:57:14, Zimmey wrote:
I think this is a mistake - the main strength of SE phones is their simple, responsive and uniform UI...

Oh not to worry. I'm sure their UI will remain, but over the years they've progressively been adding new features and changing the layout of that UI. The upcoming W760i to be released/shipping late May allows the end user - just like others that mod their :Walkman: phones' with Flash themes - to change the menu layout (Original, Oval, sliding bar of some kind, and vertical).

However, you'll note that even Flash themes, although they slightly modify the UI (User Interface) the main GUI remains the same. Sure we can change icons but thats not supported by directly. However if they goto Flash Lite support (not just within the NetFront browser, or for games) for the ENTIRE GUI (the icons, menu layout, list/grid (3x3, 3x4, or 4x3) layout, but also in how we totally interact with the phone ... I'm totally all for it! If you glance at how the G700/900 menu layout is; you'll realize just how much quicker it would be to go through a similar tab like layout of applications that are running or websites (multitabs = bonus), Entertainment submenu, Organizer submenu, etc. Think of the Media Browser layout for the entire system

Possibilities, not restrictions. Maybe the current GUI is maxed out in regards to quick responsiveness. Lastly, not that the SE GUI is based heavily off the greyscale Ericsson menu layout seen in the T-39m (both very similar but obviously the A1 platform is soo much more advanced).
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Zimmey
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 17:07
Whats the point - how long are you going to sit and stare at the pretty icons and transition effects, compared to using the phones functionality? No matter what interpreted languages such as flash and java will be slower than native UI, not only that, third party apps will not follow the design guidelines and you will have to learn a new interface for each app.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-30 21:07

On 2008-04-30 17:07:33, Zimmey wrote:
Whats the point - how long are you going to sit and stare at the pretty icons and transition effects, compared to using the phones functionality? No matter what interpreted languages such as flash and java will be slower than native UI, not only that, third party apps will not follow the design guidelines and you will have to learn a new interface for each app.

First off your VERY wrong with Java & flash being slow - or slower than native UI. If you've used flash themes on Walkman phones before they're VERY quick. I was refering to a HUGE increase of complexity that we'll need faster cpu's because already the core UI is slow on A2 phones - just ask around to experienced users that have used A1 phones recently before upgrading. Also there is a dedicated cpu for java vm - and if you haven't been paying attention, JSR-271 will allow for java apps not only to share data or db's between one another, not only to launch - when set by user or core system- upon phone bootup (just like a smartphone), but also allow for non GUI background java apps to grab data and share with other java apps to augment or complete them. There is a HUGE informative "future of SE core GUI/java thread" right here on Esato - I suggest you take a gander. Also take a weekly full day to day use of a BlackBerry (for the past 4yrs) their BASED on java code and do NOT use Flash Lite except the browser; and its VERY fast for launching apps, navigating firmware.

Secondly, the UI, icons, menu is WHAT you look at to navigat the phone, goto settings, launch & close apps, make calls setup appointments, tasks, reminders, etc! You do this EVERY time you press a button on a phone. After a while it begins to look old. Many ppl switch phones because the GUI looks old after daily usage for mths and upgrade their phone to something completely new ONLY to find out its not for them for whatever reason EVEN though their phone is working 95-100%. ( I did the same for MS SMartphone 6.0 edition on Moto Q9h. Great phone hardware wise but the GUI pissed me off something NEW! I'll NEVER use MS Smartphone UNTIL they change the menu/navigation/usability for simplicity - only apps should be complex , change those 7yr old icons dating back from PPC 2002 era, and copy & paste added in 6.1 "NATIVELY")

So don't tell me a change in GUI will not do anything for the end user and that its no point. Why then is there a HUGE community for modding, Ringtones, and Themes on phones, Nokia, Motorola, LG, Sharp, Siemens, heck EVERY manufacturer enables this in about 80% of their product lineup. (note LG Shine cannot change themes STUPID move).
Zimmey
P900
PM
Posted: 2008-04-30 23:33
I guess I'll give it the benefit of the doubt Prom - I'll download the SDK for sure. I agree with you about Windows Mobile, I have returned 3 devices running WM within days because of the UI. The Blackberry and Android approach - where everything is Java based - is fine in my view because you still have uniformity across all apps. Look at WM and Blackberry - all apps have a uniform look and feel.
BoyBawang
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-05-01 23:54
Is the Capuchin project also applicable to UIQ3+ handsets? If it does, will it be much slower in UIQ3+? I haven't had time to measure the speed difference but I based it from the fact that UIQ3 runs Java using Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation while non UIQ phones by SE perform Ahead-of-Time (AOT) compilation which should be faster.

And I wish the comback of SE jazelle technology - A hardware execution of Java-Virtual-Machine (JVM)
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:24
bump

here's a New getting started tutorial for Project Capuchin
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:30
Yeaah, great info there...
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:31
I'm tempted to have a go myself.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:35

On 2008-08-29 14:31:46, goldenface wrote:
I'm tempted to have a go myself.

you just need the tools and let your imagination do the rest
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi