Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > SE non-symbian phones ARE NOT "JAVA" phones

12  Next
Author SE non-symbian phones ARE NOT "JAVA" phones
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 07:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Non-symbian SE phones run either A100 or A200 operating systems. They do not run JAVA as the operating system. IMHO, blackberry is the only well known OEM who use J2ME as the core OS.

Let's put it like this, if you refer to a SE phone as a "JAVA Phone", you have to include UIQ in that group, since symbian phones support JAVA applications just the same as non-symbian phones.

So can we please stop refering to SE NON-SMARTPHONES as JAVA Phones?
It's confusing to newbies and leaves the impression that non-symbian phones run on a JAVA operating system, which is simply not true.

I have come across this mistaken reference too much on a forum (esato) that ought to be clear about this point.

Thank you for your attention
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2010-09-08 13:23 ]
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 07:25
count me as one of them. i use to call the non-symbian phones as java phones. imo, we do this simply because the apps that can work with these phones are programmed in java language. while the symbian phones work with sis and jar files.
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 07:41
Yeah, it's an understandable thing to do, also it's easier to say "java" phone, than "A100/A200" phone.

And the fact that J2ME platform now has multi-tasking, it's a convenient way of comparing non-symbian phones with symbian when discussing application support of the different platforms. A-series phones use J2me as the primary (and only) third-party application platform, UIQ and s60 phones use symbian as the primary application platform.

But strictly speaking symbian can also run J2me apps so it's confusing to those trying to learn how everything fits in together.

Actually I don't really mind myself what the phones are called, I know what people mean, but I've come across a lot of people who are under the impression that "java phones" run JAVA as the OS. Even to the point of calling phones JP8, when referring to the OS version or when discussing A-series features that don't necessarily relate to the JAVA version. For example people calling the new A200 phones "JP8", when the A200 features have nothing to do with Java.
deluded
C901 Silver
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 07:50
@max, agreed. I've seen you clarifying this in other threads previously, but people still continue to have the misconception. Anyway, I hope this thread helps to inform the misinformed once and for all. And perhaps we should appeal to the more senior members of Esato to use the correct terms so as to avoid confusing the newer members.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 08:25
I think it will help dispel the confusion.

I guess we can refer to the non-symbian handsets as A-series for now. I'm not sure if there is an all emcompassing name for the A100 and A200 OS. If there is and some one knows what it is, put it here and we'll start using it

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 08:37
Totally AGREED!

I have recently been calling the phones A1/A2 or A100 or A200 "platform" phones as what I've seen others describe it in other popular review sites. It seems fitting, for now until the proper name to encompass the internal OS that uses in its non-smartphone (UIQ & now upcoming WM6.1 Pro) devices.

Worthwhile post deserves a worthwhile bump!
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 08:48
Thanks buddy.
vegetaleb
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 11:31
ok
But we all knew it
and what this news will bring to us?
Prince Vegeta,prince of all sayans
Administrator in Dailymobile
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 14:15
actually many people don't know it. And I'm sick of correcting people about

Hence I created a thread about it.
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 14:24

And the fact that J2ME platform now has multi-tasking, it's a convenient way of comparing non-symbian phones with symbian when discussing application support of the different platforms. A-series phones use J2me as the primary (and only) third-party application platform, UIQ and s60 phones use symbian as the primary application platform.

A slightly off-topic, yet related question: given the capability of UIQ and S60 phones to support Java, I hope I'm not wrong in supposing that X1, X2, etc running WM 6.1 or later will have a decent measure of Java support, preferably enabling users to install some 3rd party J2ME apps they already have acquired, such as dictionaries and the like. Is this just wishful thinking, what do you tech-oriented guys reckon? And is it actually currently possible on non-A100/A200 phones at all? It sure would allow us to save some monies (after having spent a considerable amount on the latest offering - the X1 for example).

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2008-04-26 13:27 ]
razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 14:30
Great thread, i think this helps alot of novices on mobile phone tech.
10 years at Esato
Aware
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 15:02
All non-smart SEs(as well as a lot of the other OEMs non-smartphones) run a development of the OSE operating system. For info:

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March2004/6883.htm

And lots to read:

http://www.google.co.uk/searc[....]q=OSE+phones&btnG=Search&meta=

Note even SE have a link(MBW100) in there!

p990i(r6d), n82-1(20.0.062)
* treat people as you expect to be treated! *
a-zott platinum/tttt in ~3 years...
rip expanded call lists!
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 15:22
http://focus.ti.com/general/d[....]igationId=12059&contentId=4626

http://www.enea.com/templates/Extension____995.aspx

http://www.enea.com/templates/Extension____12926.aspx

A bit more info
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-26 18:43

On 2008-04-26 14:24:20, mobse wrote:

A slightly off-topic, yet related question: given the capability of UIQ and S60 phones to support Java, I hope I'm not wrong in supposing that X1, X2, etc running WM 6.1 or later will have a decent measure of Java support, preferably enabling users to install some 3rd party J2ME apps they already have acquired, such as dictionaries and the like. Is this just wishful thinking, what do you tech-oriented guys reckon? And is it actually currently possible on non-A100/A200 phones at all? It sure would allow us to save some monies (after having spent a considerable amount on the latest offering - the X1 for example).

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: mobse on 2008-04-26 13:27 ]

In WM (2003SE, 2005, 6 & 6.1, and all prior versions) support for Java or J2ME is NOT native! Be careful NOT to confuse Javascript (which is supported) for Java, J2ME, or any other VM for Java. Microsoft lost a court case against Sun Microsystems WAY back in 2001 and ever since their Microsoft VM - which had some compatible code - was abandoned and they've gone to a new technology, fighting a world standard amongst coders (yes you can be java certified in many differing fields that jobs or corporations rely on). In Xperia, this is where SE's expertise in Java will & should SHINE; much more than just adding a VM for emulation like HTC & other manufacturers or OEMs do in their WM products. Heck, in WM6.1 Smartphone Edition they've JUST added Copy & Paste of text from one application to another, LMAO!

back on topic.
@Aware & aksd; both great links but what exactly is OSE??! I have to see a definition of what O.S.E. stands for and Wikipedia isn't helping. Real-Time OSE doesn't help me either. I know its an OS as such just wondering what the definition really stands for.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-26 01:45

Heck, in WM6.1 Smartphone Edition they've JUST added Copy & Paste of text from one application to another, LMAO!

That's the non-touchscreen version.

Touchscreen pocketpc has copy and paste between applications (and has had since before windows mobile)

btw, this thread needs bumping, AGAIN people are calling SE non-smartphones JP8 or JAVA phones.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2008-08-26 00:50 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi