Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson continues to invest for future growth

Author Sony Ericsson continues to invest for future growth
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-25 03:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
se is in trouble, that for sure. they need sg really new or they will fail. lets see what this new ceo can do, but nobody should wait for real wonder. just look at xperia, se needed htc ( wm ) to bring sg new on the market, their crap uiq was a flop, symbian os is far better on sale, support etc next to it other brands are able to offer the same sound like wm mobiles and same to the cam quality, cybershot sounds nice, but not much difference for other brands quality.

if se wanna increase the sale, they have to offer sg new and change the marketing strategy. after so many years they still didnt find their own image, they still try in any directions to expand, but they are always one step back next to the others.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 03:23
@carkitter,
Brand loyalty to SE, that obviously most of us here have, was due to the fact that earlier devices offered real advantages over other solutions on the market and not some irrational fan-boyishness.

@ftyk is completely right as far as I am concerned, as nobody (..well, almost nobody...) here, is bashing SE just for the thrill of it, and I don't see why should you act so offended by it. And I really don't see what @ftyk's location (Burj-Al-Arab or any other) has to do with anything...or should I , given the fact that I paid equivalent of 2-3 average month salaries in my country for P990, demand 2 or even 3 cleaning cloths ? I just don't get it ....

and talking about half-assed excuses - "challenging market conditions" , SE being NICHE MARKET, PREMIUM device manufacturer ... these are all just lame PR bollocks and don't explain how the high-end market shrinked only for SE ( and don't bring Moto into this, as we all know current state of affairs there... ), and not for Nokia or LG ....

[ This Message was edited by: theos on 2008-04-25 03:18 ]
justin25
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 04:07
@KingBooker5
Totally agree with your point
3 years ago when K750i came out, people suprised for excellent functions.
Now we still see SE keeps announced a lot of phones with similiar functions but no big progress

@theos
Just like what you said... we come to this forum as we love SE,
due to the fact that earlier phones like T610 / K750i offered real advantages over other products on the market at that time.
I'm sure many of us will still keep sharing our comments to SE,
just becos we still believe SE will awake.

"Challenging market conditions" is an excuse.
Nokia, Samsung and LG are facing the same market condition, but they still selling well.

[ This Message was edited by: justin25 on 2008-04-25 03:08 ]
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 05:29
@carkitter,
just because i'm rich does not mean i don't want my free cookie.
i remember buying the k610i & discovering that it was shipped from se without a handsfree.
i think that's being cheap & not "doing well in challenging market conditions". [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 05:55
@@ftyk
Sorry, I though you were joking about Burj-Al-Arab.

*** Takes foot out of mouth***

@all
SE have had several years of growth larger than the market, now that things slow down a bit its not the end of the world.

"Innovation in styling comes from innovation in packaging" - Gordon Murray

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2008-04-25 04:59 ]
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 07:56
@carkitter,
no apology needed.
we are not upset with each other, we all are just upset with our phones. [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 08:53
Well I'm not upset with my V800 or my V640i, or the V630i, or the K700i I had in the past, or the Z600 my wife had, or my son's S700. Every SE phone our family has had has exceeded my expectations. But then I chose carefully, avoiding anything without BT or with UIQ.
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 12:57
@carkitter,
out of the 6 phones you mentioned 3 are vodafone branded which i can't comment on as in my part of the world we have to pay for our phones & don't get them for free as a so called upgrade.
the s700i, k700i & z600 are all a good 2/3 years old & se has come a long way since then so i fail to see what kind of experience you have with the kind of phones se makes today.
you have also stated that you steer clear from uiq phones.
what? are they too brainy for you?
what i understand is that you have zero hands on experience with the high end se phones & therefore you are pretty content with what se has to offer on the budget/economical/cheap phones which you own.
its pretty simple to understand that when a phone does not have much to offer as features but obviously there are not gonna be many flaws with that phone.
out of the 6 phones you own 3 are vodafone contract phones & therefore you have either got them free or really cheap still you have the audacity to call me immature for complaining about se's cost cutting when you yourself seem like the one to stand 1st in the free fund que.
at 1st i failed to understand what problem you have with my location but now i can see clearly that you are plain simple jealous as you probably are one of the less fortunate ones.
it's not my fault if you can't afford the luxuries of life i can but i still empathize with you.
if you are offended with what i write then you should yourself quit poking fun at where other members hail from. [addsig]
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 17:00
@carkitter
well...I can understand you beeing much more forgiving towards SE if you really got your phones on contracts. Would you have the same oppinion if you shelled a 1000 + USD for P990 or about 600 ( as I remember ... ) USD on S700 that you've got for ... ?

@all
there is no need to get too personal about this, ok ?
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-04-25 18:25
respect begets respect. [addsig]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 10:21
@theos and @ftyk

Getting Vodafone phones in NEW ZEALAND (is that loud enough for you?) is not like getting branded phones in Europe.

The Z600 cost me NZD$799 new in 2003.
The K700 cost me NZD$799 new in 2004.
The V800 cost me MZD$799 new + a NZD$140 512MB MSDP in 2006. Thats $939 in total.

A W910 currently costs NZD$799 and a K850 is NZD$999.

NZ Govt policy is to keep inflation below 3% so prices haven't changed much in 5 years but spec has.

A P990 cost NZD$1299 on release, looked no different than the much older P900, and had nothing significant in the spec except WIFI. I don't need the Applications and I don't get off on Qwerty keypads or Touchscreen. A the size is just WAY TOO BIG. I have no interest in it especially at the price. That's just MHO, you and others may like it and good for you!

I did manage to get a Samsung Z400v reduced from $499 to $99 and a Nokia 6234 reduced from $499 to $20 on discounts from Vodafone but I use neither as thier Nothing compared to any SE product I've used. The Samsung my wife used to replace the Z600, the 6234 my son uses to replace his 2nd hand S700 which he bought for $200 (original 2004 retail price NZD$1599)

Branded phones in thier first year of release here in NZ (which is 4 to 8 months later than Europe BTW) are NOT CHEAP and most people buy imported, new, unbranded phones from overseas.

After I lost my K700, I got an insurance policy on my V800.
When I misplaced it, They gave me a V630i after I payed the $125 excess.
When I misplaced the V630i later, they gave me a V640i again after paying the excess. Apparently, if your in business you get the excess waived but not if your an ordinary consumer like me.

Neither the V630i nor the V640i are phones I wanted. Both are mid range phones (NZD$499 and $399 respectively) and until then I had been buying premium feature phones. But these models are amazing. I've had photos taken by my non A/F V630i published in a national magazine with the caption IMPRESSIVE IMAGE. I had planned to purchase a T650 this year, but the V640i with HSDPA (which I use with my Laptop) and A200 is so good, I'm instead gonna wait for the W980 which I'll probably get as an import so that I can have it THIS YEAR and not wait 'til 2009 thanks to VodaNZ/SE NZ tardiness.

I've bought three 2nd hand V800's in the last 6 weeks simply because I like them so much and I miss the one that I lost. Two of them have WSOD which is easily repaired.

You're right that I could never afford to stay at Burj-Al-Arab, but that does not make me jealous or of poor character. I had assumed (wrongly) that you were one of the many excitable middle eastern teenagers we get on here and thats why I noted my error (now twice noted). But you have assumed wrongly of me too and now have others assuming the same.
iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-26 20:02
@carkitter well, most of the dissatisfaction withe SE originates from the M600/P990 release fiasco and the way SE " dealt " with it consequently, bug portings to P1 included ... rest of it can probably be concetrated around the shortcomings of K850's camera performance and other issues. All of this problems were reported by many users here and on the other forums/sites, and although probably every device has its share of critics when released, situation with the ones mentioned was much more widespread and afected users in a more serious ways than ever before. I can't see how can you judge on these issues given the fact that you didn't use any one of them ... I can understand that you are happy with your V640, even liked the review you posted, but that does not make the fact that SE screwed up with it's high-end, any different...

This message was posted from a WAP device
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 10:09
I have been a member here since 2005 and I know very well about the dissatisfaction with P-series, K700 joystick failure, K750 initial firmware release constantly crashing, V800 reception problems, S500 keypad and K850 camera. But not all SE models are dogs and I think people should remember that. And I don't think that the issues Esato members complain about have greatly affected SE's sales. I think you can blame Nokia for simply producing a range of high-end phones that have everything - Wifi, 30 fps video, 16M colour screens, TV out cable, 3.5mm headphone jack, stereo speakers, etc. We all want these things and SE needs to have them. But are people taking revenge on SE with sales boycotts en-masse? I don't think so.

As a former mechanic having seen recalls on cars ranging from faulty fuel hoses to ignition systems and gearbox shafts, I guess I have a different perspective.

iksplusipsilon
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-27 20:06
SE sales are definitely not rising ... and when you mentioned cars, you said " recalled " ... well, recall is a fair thing to do if a company finds out that the product is not performing as it should/was advertised, can we agree on that ? Problem here was that SE didn't do anything of that kind. Nobody expected replacement, but it would have been nice if we saw GENUINE DESIRE by SE to at least TRY to to fix the situation ! We did not see that, SE had to be bullied to do something by public outcry and bad press ! That is not a way of enlarging your customer base, is it ? ...and I don't even want to start talking about people that never update their phones and their experiences ( yes, there is a lot of people who expect that phones work as expected out of the box ) ...

This message was posted from a WAP device
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-28 11:08

On 2008-04-27 20:06:53, theos wrote:
... well, recall is a fair thing to do if a company finds out that the product is not performing as it should/was advertised, can we agree on that ?

Er, no.
Recalls only happen when safety is at risk. Common for cars, not so common for phones unless as Nokia found out, the battery might explode.
On 42 million phones.
Are there 42 million disgruntled P990 owners? I don't think so. Just 42 million threads about...

Anyway, I noticed that Telstra Austrailia switched off its CDMA network today and TelecomNZ will move to GSM in November, perhaps as CDMA dies it's long drawn out death, Samsung and LG will lose some sales to SE in the future.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi