Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i - nothing will get it to synchronize!

123  Next
Author P1i - nothing will get it to synchronize!
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 19:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello. Haven't been here in ages!!

So, I finally decide to make the switch from WM to Symbian and I bought the P1i.

It's been a week now and I'm still trying to get it to sync with Outlook!! So far, it's 1-0 for Micro$oft!

I have WinXP SP2, Outlook 2002 and have tried just about every troubleshooting guide I could find online!

Some of the basics:
- have downloaded and installed latest PC Suite
- phone has the latest firmware
- have disabled antivirus, firewall and activesync
- PC Suite and phone use the same language (English, UK)
- "other" types of communication with the phone from within the PC Suite seem to work fine (file explorer, application install, etc).

Oh yeah, not even Sync Manager will start!

Any ideas will be GREATLY appreciated. Really don't wanna regret my decision to switch from WM for something this basic (and stupid I'm sure)!

Many thanks!
Phoebus
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 20:09
Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question, but was the phone or it's USB cable attached to your computer when you installed the pcsuite?

If so then unplug everything with SE's logo on it, uninstall, remove all related folders in the program files directory, restart, reinstall, and only then plug you're phone/cable back in. I've had this problem before, and believe it's something to do with the phone driver installation having to initiate after mrouter.
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 20:12

On 2008-04-14 20:09:55, AD wrote:
Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question, but was the phone or it's USB cable attached to your computer when you installed the pcsuite?

Hi AD and thanks for replying.

To answer your question, nope, the phone or the cable were not attached to the computer when I installed pc suite...
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 20:23
my suggestion, uninstall everything SE related and then take the CD from the box (the older PC suite version) and install that PC suite. Then connect your phone and sync it should work.

Same thing happened with me, had to uninstall everything and restart but i used my CD rather than the online PC suite and it seemed to work.
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 21:42
Hi 5nak3 + thanx for replying. Well actually it's the original pc suite from the installation CD that got me to download the updated one since that didn't work either!
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 22:19
Really?

See when i re-installed the original PC suite it didn't ask me to update anything this is why i suggested it.

If that still doesn't work may i suggest a different USB port on the computer?

Oh here is a little question, when you took everything SE related off the HDD, did you make sure that the symbian drivers were also removed? Maybe this is why. I dont know what components install where when you run the setup file but try getting rid of EVERYTHING SE related, drivers, folders everything.

Sorry i cant be much more help, but the same thing happened with me, everything would work except the sync manager. Whenever i tried that it would start and then respond sync failed.

So i removed and reinstalled the program a few time. Following this i just took the CD out of the box and reinstalled from the CD and it seemed to work. Again as AD said make sure nothing SE related is connected.
Sebby
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 23:27
Does PC Suite connect with the phone? [addsig]
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 04:08
Outlook cannot sync chinese, it sucks.
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 07:20
Hi guys and thanks for your suggestions. I'll try them later when I get home and let you know what happened.

Do you think the fact I have activesync installed has anything to do with this?

On 2008-04-14 23:27:29, Sebby wrote:
Does PC Suite connect with the phone?

Yeap, PC Suite does connect with the phone (I can browse, install apps, etc).
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 17:36
Ok, so that rules out drivers & mrouter, what's left? SyncML, syncontroller.exe etc., and Outlook itself..what actually happens when you attempt to sync - is the menu option greyed out?

Another probably silly question - you have set up the options for what you want to sync, and what with, by clicking the little + symbol next to th 'sychronise now' icon, in the main pcsuite window, and choosing 'settings'?

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-15 16:44 ]
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 17:46

On 2008-04-15 04:08:47, chlee wrote:
Outlook cannot sync chinese, it sucks.

Mmmm - helpful...
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 18:51
Geez!!! This is SO annoying!!!

So, I removed everything, even removed my Sony camcorder's apps, USB drivers, etc.

Restarted, did a registry clean, restarted and installed pc suite again from the CD. I restarted, disabled firewall, antivirus and activesync and... NOTHING!!!

Well, actually it takes me to Sync Manager but when I click on 'Settings' nothing happens and of course (I'm guessing) I need to go through that first before synchronizing for the first time!

Another thought. Could it be because I'm using Outlook 2002? Is it that old??!!

HELP!!!
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 19:54
well i had outlook 2003 it was working fine, upgraded to 2007 and had the problem you described, never tried 2002 but it should work.

Is it outlook express or the full thing?
Hanzy
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 19:57
I have the same problem, I connect my phone with usb and it didn't recognize it, I could't backup my pohone. And I unistalled all SE programs...
there seems to be some problems with drivers although I dowloaded newest PC suite 1.4.4.
Does anybody know what to do?

tnx
Phoebus
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 20:02

On 2008-04-15 19:54:48, 5nak3 wrote:

Is it outlook express or the full thing?

Full thing... Works great with my WM device and activesync.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi