Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia confirms 'iPhone killer' handset in pipeline

Author Nokia confirms 'iPhone killer' handset in pipeline
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-17 17:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Obviously this is unchattered territory for Nokia and this will be a way for them to gauge the consumers' reaction to their first main stream touch UI.
They tried it some years back but not on this huge scale so they are wary of it not being well received.

Also I have doubts that it is completely ready. This is where feedback will benefit them for their onslaught on the most impressive touch UI in the business- the iphone.
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-07-18 22:07
Nokia despite strong competition over the years still remains at the top. Why? Because they know the market and produce quality phones with the top features customers want. For gods sake Apple cant even do pictures messages and still put in a 2 mega pixel camera. Is every Apple phone going to look and be the same over the coming years with only 1 phone out on one network. Its not enough for them to over take Nokia or SE by just doing that. Why cant they release more phones for other markets that way perhaps they would have more respect. I bet Nokia is not even worried. Your average phone buyer is not going to buy the iphone so its hardly going to put everyone else out of the picture. I bet Nokia is going to put high end features in this phone that iphone cant even do. Yes iphone looks nice with the screen and interface but its hardly the only reason to buy it. I also hate the way you cant take out the battery of the iphone. At the end of the day its over hyped as i have played with one and i have found it does nothing new. Nokia and SE know more about phones than Apple. And the iphone was never completly bug free.
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2008-07-18 22:43

On 2008-05-07 12:48:48, @ftyk wrote:
what about the sim card slot on the i phone which can't be accessed unless you have a pin/something?

are you really that naive?

Nokia did it first.................

The 7280 needed a special tool to open the sim tray.....

Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-18 22:59
@Bonovox

I'm glad you had a chance to play with the iphone cause you would know that it is nothing special but its touch UI is. I don't like the iphone and never will, as long as it is basic, but they have done something that SE and other manufacturers with touchscreen technology have never been able to do,ie, come up with the best touch UI so far.

Unfortunately every touch UI is going to be judged based on the iphone which tells you how far ahead the iphone's UI is. We should criticise where there're glaring inadequacies but we must also appreciate and give credit where it is due.

[ This Message was edited by: EMS06 on 2008-07-18 22:01 ]
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-19 00:17

On 2008-07-18 22:59:25, EMS06 wrote:
@Bonovox

I'm glad you had a chance to play with the iphone cause you would know that it is nothing special but its touch UI is. I don't like the iphone and never will, as long as it is basic, but they have done something that SE and other manufacturers with touchscreen technology have never been able to do,ie, come up with the best touch UI so far.

Unfortunately every touch UI is going to be judged based on the iphone which tells you how far ahead the iphone's UI is. We should criticise where there're glaring inadequacies but we must also appreciate and give credit where it is due.

[ This Message was edited by: EMS06 on 2008-07-18 22:01 ]

Sorry but I cannot agree with you on every touch UI based on iPhone. Nokia has some VERY significantly interesting and appliable patents in regards to their upcoming touch GUI. Gestures is going to be SOOO cool - give an incoming call with photo ID the bird (hey its the wife nagging you going out with the boys just being hooligans, lol). Actually my wife stopped - she's so hot I love her to pieces.

|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 00:20
Yes i agree with the interface but thats the only real thing that makes it stand out from anything else. All the rest is nothing new or that amazing and has been done a million time already by other manufacturers only better. I actually think its quite big too in its size. Anyway i still dont think they are about to over take Nokia with just one phone on the market restricted to one network. I also think its pathetic in the way they conduct it all where you have to go online to activate the phone and they charge rip off prices on expensive contracts. People must be mugs to pay for that. I was all for the iphone before but not now.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 14:17
@Prom1

What I'm saying is that the iphone has set a standard that other manufacturers have to better in terms of their own touch UI. I don't think it is implausible to think that the next devices from other manufacturers won't beat the iphone's, they will eventually surpass it but right now I would say it is the best touch UI available.

@Bonovox

Nokia is sitting pretty at the top, it is not even threatened by the number 2 manufacturer Samsung. I don't see any manufacturer dethroning Nokia now or in the next 6 years. Only Nokia can mess up thus allowing the other manufacturers to catch up which I doubt they would do. So, the iphone is not close to Nokia in any way whatsoever.
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 23:52
I've just come from watching the dark knight(amazing movie btw)..and i'm pretty sure i saw a nokia touchscreen device being used by christian bale...it had a very iphone kind of design...but Nokia was written above the screen..batman uses finger touch to do some stuff in the device...and it looked rather neat and cool...so those going to watch the flick be on the lookout for it...
here, have a puff
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2008-07-19 23:56
it would seem so...

Screen Grabs: Nokia's XpressMedia 5800 "Tube" plays big role in The Dark Knight
gola
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 00:03
More reason to believe that Nokia truly is the dark side...
"Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!"
Proverbs 4: 7
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-20 00:09
erm...it wasn't entirely like the 5800 xpressmedia...the design was the same...but the buttons were different...it had the traditional call and end buttons...unlike the leaked prototype..

maybe it was the final version of the phone...

or maybe it was some other touchscreen nokia...

[ This Message was edited by: deepsme on 2008-07-19 23:09 ]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-07-20 01:05
Gimme a touch screen and I am happy.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
deepsme
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-07-22 08:51
First S60 Touch screenshots...

Source
here, have a puff
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi