Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia confirms 'iPhone killer' handset in pipeline

Author Nokia confirms 'iPhone killer' handset in pipeline
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 18:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Very good specs,
as Dogmanns suggests the price lol

2009 so the N97 or N98 could possibley have a touchscreen then?
woah that would be brilliant im not planning on getting rid of my N95-2 for atleast 2 years anyway so atleast the market will have some good devices arounf then
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-14 22:20
It will be interesting to see what processor it uses. Nomadik or OMAP 3rd ge? Probably ST but lets wait and see.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 04:38
@bavlandon:

Apple have acheived what Nokia/SE have not been able to so far. Create a stable well built phone with perfect interface and literally no bugs.

That's because the Iphone is so BARE of functions that there is much less possibility of things going wrong.

Let's wait (maybe for years ) for Apple to put in all the basic stuff (that every phone has) which Apple left out from the Iphone. Then you come back and talk.

bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 10:17
True they are lacking in some basic features (trust me no one has kicked up more of a fuss about the lack of video capture than me) but at the same time they have produced a hadnset with an interface that no one else has been able to match. We can only assume that future iterations of iphone will house more features but the question is can Nokia match iphone for what it does?
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 11:57
I'm sure apple has received a lot of feedback (both positive and negative) and are also looking at new developments in the cellphone market. The point here is the iphone, for a first attempt, has given us a greater insight into what the next iteration is likely to have. I'd be concerned if I were the major manufacturers.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 16:26
@bav

but at the same time they have produced a hadnset with an interface that no one else has been able to match.

correction...they have produced a UI with the best eye candy. In terms of usability it is downright pathetic - no contact search, no copy-paste, no file system, no T9 virtual keypad, no task manager, no sms forward...and the list goes on and on.. What the heck is Apple thinking...

bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 17:20
Contact search is coming in v2.0. And ok no SMS forwarding is a pain but I can honestly say I have never used that feature in any phone I have had. I think your clutching on straws on that one.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 18:46
iPhone may fall short in a few places but, it's a must have phone and people are willing to pay that much for it. For Apple's first phone, they must be over the moon and now with the price cut, more people will go for it. They must be doing something right if they can get away with selling a "crap"phone.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-15 23:16
The price cut was always going to happen. I just hope whatevers coming in June will be worth it.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 07:11
Hi all

Well many of the so called missing features are really only important if you use them in which case it's simple don't get a iPhone.

But i really don't see the iPhone as a business smart phone but as s Multimedia smart phone but that doesn't mean it can't perform any Business type applications just that is not it's main purpose.

For me the restricting factors are the lack of 3G/HSDPA which is only a matter of time before it is added to the next gen, but the real killer is a fixed battery and not for not being able to change it when it goes flat but what happens when it goes dead. That to me is a major drawback especially if it is your only phone.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-04-16 06:12 ]
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 09:54
Some good points Dogman but im yet to bump into any iphone owners whos battery has died completley. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that in terms of materials used and build quality iphone is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else. i cant remember the last time I bought a phone and was totally satisfied with it in terms of build and battery life.

At the end of the day iphone performs welleven when surfing on wifi and watching videos so as long as they maintain that then the removable battery thing is a non factor. Its becasue Nokia and the rest use such cheap materials that people have to sometimes buy a new battery.

I think the price cut is a good thing and should serve as to give iphone a boost ahead of WWDC when we should see the 3g iphone.
Miss UK
Apple Iphone 5
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 17:30
Price cut and of a course if Apple gave the iPhone the freedom to eventually end up on other networks too would also make them more profit.

Nokia though have waited for all these touchy phones to come out beforehand now there kicking them all in the teeth with something which will be alot better if it's to go ahead
An "Apple" a day keeps the Doctor at Bay!
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 18:42
The most important thing these phones will have to demonsrate is if the interface can compete. We already know there will be no multi touch so that’s already a let down.

You also have to remember that this isnt even going to be Nokia touch flagship. That should come after. So you have to ask are Nokia going to be able to compete with iphone sucessor?

[ This Message was edited by: bavlondon2 on 2008-04-16 17:56 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-16 19:58
Hi Bav,

I'm not suggesting the batteries will die through bad workmanship far from it, but they do have a limited and not infinite lifespan. It is far to early to see any reaching the end of their life quite yet, but my point is what happens when they do?

I also have to say the build quality of my Nokia E61 was without fault and like many others wish the N series was built to the same quality and used the same premium materials. My current E90 is also extremely well made using quality materials and is without fault build wise IMO it is also now even faster with the latest firmware and still completely stable to and while it may not be a device for all i love the S60 OS and interface.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-04-16 19:01 ]
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-18 03:40

On 2008-04-09 07:24:50, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
I'd say T for touch.

I'd say the Nphone.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi