Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Charging issue / possible bug?

12  Next
Author Charging issue / possible bug?
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 00:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Today i've had issues with charging the p1, i had taken off the USB charging option when connected to the pc earlier on, and since then the phone would not charge via the mains when i connect it, or if it did it would do so after several goes and a lot of swearing.

If i turn the phone off it still took a couple of tries for it to charge via the mains. I thought maybe the battery was loose checked that, not the case but i also cleaned all the connectors to be sure.

Anyway i put USB charging on again and the phone began to charge via mains, is this a bug, is this how it is meant to be? Can anyone shed some light?

At first i thought maybe my mains charger was on the fritz since all other fastport accessories work perfectly.
If indeed the charger is on the fritz, how likely is it to get it replaced under warrenty by SE or my operator, i mean surely the fact that within 7 months and the charger stops working breachs the fit for use law of the sale of the good. I reckon if i throw in some law jargon i might get it replaced, but i'm sure the warrenty should cover this anyways
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-08 05:11
So... few or no bug- fixes, and now regression on the functions in the programs. Beautiful.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 12:44
Well i dont know if it is a bug, but it sure doesn't seem normal to work in that way.

In any case I think i may just get the charger replaced under warrenty if possible and say that the charger isn't working with my phone. Last thing i want to have to do is run around trying to find a charger if the battery goes flat.

Not particularly happy...
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:01
On the subject of chargers, I've had two short out on me on two consecutive holidays - both when I first plugged them in. Part of my other (non esato ) life is as a lighting tech/electrician, so I'm sure that it wasn't a voltage issue in either case. Just lucky it didn't surge into my phone & blow that as well.

I've come to the conclusion that they're cheap & very nasty, with all the resilience of a whelk in a supernova. Interesingly enough, on both occasions they were in my hand luggage, so perhaps it's something to do with x-ray scanners?
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:08
please dont say that to me....i'm going on holiday soon and i was going to be taking the p1, and since this is a long holiday shorting out either the charger or phone is not ideal....

Funnily this is the first time i've heard of a charger shorting out in the xray machine, i thought that is why the provide the plastic boxes for you.

Also, i noticed in the mannual of the digital camera ( i assume it applies to all electronics) it says not to use a different voltage to that which the charger is made for, i thought those european converter things meant to regulate the voltage so as not to short out?

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-04-08 13:11 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:27
The charger is supposed to be similar to that of the P990. Try to take out the cable from behind the charger and plug it into your phone directly, see if that makes a difference. Also, it would help if you could try out another phone with your charger.
Edit: I should clarify this: I mean don't use the stand, plug in directly to the fast port.

[ This Message was edited by: makbil on 2008-04-08 13:30 ]
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 14:58
Yeah, i've never used the desk stand i always use the direct connection with the fastport and for some reason it doesn't seem to be working.

I tried my charger with a w810i and it came on "opimized charging" right away.

I tried once again in my p1 and i had to wiggle the cable about a bit to get it to charge. I think the charger might be on it's last legs...in which case is that covered under the warrenty?
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 15:32
But if the same charger works fine with another phone - doesn't that suggest that it's the port in the P1?
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 15:55
@ AD

That is what i thought at first. So i tried other fast port accessories which worked striaght away wihtout a problem (PC connection, and Headphones), and just to be sure i just checked with the w810i's charger and p1 started charging straight away no need to wiggle.

It is slightly odd.
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:03
I would also suggest that it is a hardware issue.

I have a k750, w880, and an m600. Same charger for all of them. Every wall charger works fine on the k750 and the m600. However none of them will recharge my w880. From day 1 (a few months ago) I could not recharge the battery while in the phone with the wall adapter. And yet, if I plug in the USB data cable, the phone WILL charge up from the USB power.

I don't know what the answer is. I plan to get a container of compressed air and then take off the back and see if I can clean out any dust inside it, but beyond that, it's a handful of extra batteries and a separate charger if I want to use the w880.

In my case, I've chalked it up to faulty hardware. I'm finding that I'm simply not using the w880 because of this inconvenience. Otherwise it;s an ok phone.

Anyway, just my story. If you find the answer please post. As will I.
T68i T616 K750i Nokia-E60 M600i W880i G900 CECT P168+ iFone X1 Nex Razor
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:23
That is strange, if all charger work with the k750 and m600 you would expect to work with the w880 but if it isn't working since day one, you are still under warrenty aren't you? Maybe you can get a replacment?

I think what i will do is continue using it for a while and if i see no improvment i'll phone up either SE / operator or someone who i can hold liable and then start throwing in sales of goods acts and not fit for use as intended at them until i get a replacement

I am not all that fussed as of now because for the next month i'm at the PC almost 24/7 last resort i'll use USB power to charge the phone.

But still if anyone can help that would be great, it kinda sucks having a phone which cant charge via the mains.

AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:28
It could be the charging contact point on your P1, as the actual point of contact is very small due to the blade like nature of the pins on the charger. Another charger may make contact in a slightly different place, and so work properly.

I'd check that the contact plates on thephone are clean (try using a pencil eraser), and then look at the pins on the charger to see if any are slightly bent.
leibniz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-04-08 16:52
I just looked at the receipt and I see that I've had this phone for four months. Plus, I bought it through ebay from a store in Hong Kong. Actually, I bought at the same time as my M600 and they shipped together. So I'm not sure I'll have much much exchanging this for a different phone, but I guess it's worth an email.

Oh, what I was going to say: since the w880 is not symbian, and i seem to have the same problem here with it as you have, I suspect that the charging issue is not related to the symbian o/s,

The G900 is looking pretty good at this point.
T68i T616 K750i Nokia-E60 M600i W880i G900 CECT P168+ iFone X1 Nex Razor
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 13:57
just wondering guys is it advisable to use a SE charger from a different phone on the p1, e.g. if i got a k800 charger or a k750 or basically any other sony model within the last few years would that charger still be alright for the p1?

I'm a bit concerened about voltages and different battery sizes dont want to fry my p1.
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-09 14:39
The problem is with the battery wall socket adapter. Try moving the wall socket adapter and the phone will charge again.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi