Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > My W960i died today.Good riddance!

Author My W960i died today.Good riddance!
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-04-02 14:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2008-04-02 12:38:34, razec wrote:

On 2008-04-02 12:22:59, Boinng wrote:

The W960 adds nothing to what they were already failing with 2-3 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-04-02 11:23 ]

Wow, You've turned to be a very big UIQ oppositionist

For once it's right on the money - SE has produced nothing new - even kept bugs from two year old phones, and failed to make use of even the most basic benefits of the framework - and in the meantime UIQ (which is a tiny company) has improved. Which the users wouldn't know, because SE thinks we'll all buy the next unit if they f*** with us long enough. Like: "hehe, so you want a few bugs fixed, do you? Sorry about screwing you over and having our support dudes insult you on the phone and in writing whenever you ask about something. But I have the perfect solution for you! Just buy the next 400 euro phone and /maybe/ we'll fix it before we abandon the unit after a year, allright? You'll fall for that, right, just to keep you from turning in the unit until /after/ you can't return it to the shop, and have to sue us for false advertising to get your money back, which noone is going to bother with anyway - oops did I say that out loud?".
bulti48
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 14:37

On 2008-04-02 12:35:10, M-Tuning wrote:
Just install the firmware update and most of the problems are gone

But is the firmware update available for everyone? I'm with O2 and tried updating and it says I have the latest FW.

Currently I'm on R9J005 which I know is not the latest...
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-02 15:18

On 2008-04-02 14:37:14, bulti48 wrote:

On 2008-04-02 12:35:10, M-Tuning wrote:
Just install the firmware update and most of the problems are gone

But is the firmware update available for everyone? I'm with O2 and tried updating and it says I have the latest FW.

Currently I'm on R9J005 which I know is not the latest...

Dr. Nipsen...isn´t the answer for our friend on the UIQ Utility Guide??? I think not...new entry should be added: "SEUS says my firmware is updated, but i know there is a new one...why??"
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 11:11
@Nipsen, for a moment I thought it was me writing
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 11:21
He'll have us all on a protest march in Sweden soon!!! LOL

Vive la Révolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s32bauer
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 11:40
The only flaw with SE is clearly the fact that everything is so inconsistent. For example, there seem to be a large number of people with W960's who have problems such as unresponsive touchscreens, slow interface, etc - yet I've never had a single problem with mine.

The same goes with the P1i - all these reports of green tints on the pictures, etc. Never had a problem with mine at all.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 11:44
green tint was noticeable in early firmwares...not anymore in the latest
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 11:44
@s32bauer

Well lucky you!!!

Where do you buy your phones btw? - they obviously get the good batches.....

[ This Message was edited by: AD on 2008-04-03 10:45 ]
s32bauer
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 14:21

On 2008-04-03 11:44:37, ares wrote:

Really? I thought there had been people complain that the tint was still there even on the latest firmwares?

I always thought it was more of a hardware issue as opposed to software.
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 14:42
I have 2 W960's that are in constant use atm. I use one ane I gave my girlfriend the other. They were bought from Vodafone and then unbranded via Davinci. One W960 is an 07W51 model and the other is a 08W04 model.

Neither of them have had any problems except for one thing. The 08W04 handset has a squeeky battery cover which is soooo annoying.
I had a P1i from O2 last year which I had not problems with either except for a bloody squeeky battery cover as well x
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 15:24

On 2008-04-03 14:21:32, s32bauer wrote:

On 2008-04-03 11:44:37, ares wrote:

Really? I thought there had been people complain that the tint was still there even on the latest firmwares?

I always thought it was more of a hardware issue as opposed to software.

Well...i think its software after all...i took some photos in Easter, on a place with snow...here´s an example:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=151820&start=345

No green tint whatsoever...and this should be pretty easy to notice on a snow landscape
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
lorsban
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 17:14
Hey guys,

I also have a W960i and fortunately I don't have that random shut down/hard start issue. But I do recall having that problem with another SE phone I had, a K610i. I traced it back to a loose battery. Apparently, it would jiggle around and momentarily lose contact. Anyway, I replaced my battery to a larger capacity one (supposedly for a P1) and it fits in there very tightly. Great thing is it fixed the creaking.

I did experience that backup issue where it would hang and give an error message. I searched these forums and it seems it's a problem for other SE phones as well. You simply have to uncheck the unified inbox and everything backs up smoothly.

Other than that it's ok. Slow, buggy and does things in it's own quirky way. But it's very stable considering all the apps it can run at the same time. As far as stability goes, even Nokias fare worse than SE. I guess there's no such thing as a perfect handheld.

lorsban

[ This Message was edited by: lorsban on 2008-04-03 16:15 ]
makbil
P990
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 19:21

On 2008-04-03 17:14:44, lorsban wrote:
...As far as stability goes, even Nokias fare worse than SE. I guess there's no such thing as a perfect handheld.

I've been following the Nokia N95 8 GB threads and apparently this is not true. A lot of former P990 users there, all of them agree that N95 8GB is a good and very stable phone. On the other hand, sure, it's not perfect, it doesn't have touch screen
P990i: A mistake, a curse and a disgrace So I lowered my expectations and settled for a P1i. I couldn't keep my expectations so low for a long time so now I have an HTC Touch HD
defiantbeast
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 20:01
I agree lorsban there is no such thing as the perfect handset. Its all a matter of taste and need which is subjective at best. I will agree that the start of price of the w960i was a bit high. Yes sony ericsson did make some changes to the usual lay out of the uiq phones by moving the back button but im sorry this was not for me a deal breaker. So i have to shift my thumb in an weird position its not as if by holding the phone i all of a sudden lost the use of my legs or control of my bowels, i made the switch from a p1i to a w960i and at best it took me a day or 2 to get use to it, its getting rather old to hear people complain about something they knew about going into the w960i. When i made the switch i told myself that i would try it for a week and if i didnt like it i would keep the p1i and sell the w960i.

As far as the green tint issue again a known issue that has been improved with firm ware updates, and this i can testify to myself. Besides unless your a photographer why are you so picky over the camera (but if you were a photographer you already know to not depend on your phone), i know your reading this thinking i paid such and such for this phone it had better have an excellent camera, but lets face it a camera phone at the end of the day is still a phone first. And last time i checked not everyone had complaints about the camera or the green tint issue. Unstable UI again is dependent on your needs and expectations some will praise it others hate it.

Is it the same old recycled crap in a new package? Yes and no. Again dependent of needs and expectations. For me the phone has been working out great. Ive used it for work to receive my emails check documents organize my appointments and access the web. Ive also used it at leisure to listen to music watch movies text take photos with my family and surf the net. Has it meet my needs yes will it meet your i dont know.

What drives me insane is when people get a hold of a bad phone and go on about how the the phone itself needs to be scrapped. Ive owned a bunch of phones some SE some not. Last year around this time i owned a blackberry pearl, over the course of me owning the pearl i had it replaced twice. Was the phone a piece of crap because i had to have it replaced, no because when my pearl was operational it did what it did well. When it broke down it broke down. Would i recommend it to some one yes. Would i recommend the w960i yes.

I will end this rant by saying this if you own a lexus and it breaks down you dont call lexus's and start yelling about scrapping the car model. Many things have to be considered before like how was the car used was it well maintained were any parts defective if we gave you a new one would the same thing happen again is it a part defect, manufacturer defect or engineering defect. We have all gone to the store and bought something that did not work when we plugged it in because it was part of a bad batch not because its a piece of crap.
AD
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-04-03 21:03
Good points all, apart from your comments with regard to build quality and the fact you seem to shrug your shoulders at the notion of bad batches of phones. My counter argument to this is that when a company charges the prices they do for high end electronics, I feel that the consumer has a right to expect an equaly high level of quality control. To use your Lexus analogy, the Lexus is a relatively expensive car, but part of the reason for this is due to the fact that they are concistently top of the reliability studies, and hence when paying circa 300gpb for a phone the user has a right to expect a similar level of confidence in their purchase.

The fact that one can simply send it back when it breaks is of little comfort to those people who lead busy lives and indeed rely on their ability to easily communicate with the world at large.

In brief, people buy multifunction or 'convergent' devices for the sake of convienience, and of course some comprimises on functionality have to be made. They pay a premium for such covienience, but they really don't need the hassle of them going wrong, thus the owness is on the manufacturer to make sure they don't.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi