Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > UIQ 3.3 is out!

Author UIQ 3.3 is out!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 10:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Another sign of death???

http://www.uiqblog.com/2008/03/27/uiq-33-unleashed/
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 10:55
The fact that UIQ isn't going quietly into the night does NOT mean the platform isn't, essentially, finished. It doesn't matter a jot if they release 29 new versions of it, all that matters is that people buy it, in the form of new devices, and develop for it.

I wouldn't expect the good people at SE, Motorola, or UIQ to let the platform die without a fight - but ultimately its survival is down to the consumers. Don't call off the wake just yet.

Oh, and please - statements like "UIQ 3.3 further enhances UIQ’s position as the platform of choice for manufacturers" just sound ridiculous, and do nothing for your credibility. UIQ has no position as a "platform of choice", it's being kept alive by just two manufacturers and a literal handful of phones - nobody could accuse it of being the first choice for anybody.

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-03-27 10:01 ]
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 11:07
And last time i checked, SE and Motorola combined mean something on the mobile world...and both choose UIQ...its not THE platform of choice, but it does mean something

Listen...its not me, and other UIQ fans that are overeacting, saying UIQ is the best thing of the world and a tremendous success...it anyone is going to extremes are the people saying the platform is dead...

I just like it, see great potential on it together with alot of things to improve, and i think that can happen, despite SE and Moto´s recent bad decisions

[ This Message was edited by: ares on 2008-03-27 10:09 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 11:35
Between you and me, I like UIQ too, or at least I see it's potential, but at the same time - like most people - I'm frustrated by the painfully slow progress over the last couple of years. The reason people are scenting death, is the simple fact that there's been effectively no development of UIQ at all in 2-3 years. The handful of "flagship" UIQ phones released under the brand most associated with it, SE, are woefully behind in their technology compared to the competition. Moto's efforts have been better in some ways, but in other ways hampered by their loss of one of UIQ's key attractions, the touchscreen support. Combined with all the bad blood over the P990 etc, there really needed to be a much more decisive sea change in UIQ's promotion a lot sooner than this - which is, when all's said and done, a fairly minor upgrade. One which has yet to appear in any device announced or otherwise, at that.

When you consider the threat from S60 Touch just in the Symbian world, and the wider developments in WM, Android, and OS X, it really does look like a lame duck on life support, waiting for somebody to pull the plug. Not unlike Moto's mobile division, to be fair.
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 11:54

On 2008-03-27 11:35:46, Boinng wrote:
''''Between you and me''''

hmmmm, you know every one can read your post dont you....... so not much of secret!

sorry for off topic, im just a little hypo, couldnt resist
Keiki
T100
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 12:06
Its FUNTASTIC! i cant wait to implement to their lineup soon
This message was posted from BlackBerry 8900
Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 13:17

On 2008-03-27 11:35:46, Boinng wrote:
When you consider the threat from S60 Touch just in the Symbian world, and the wider developments in WM, Android, and OS X, it really does look like a lame duck on life support, waiting for somebody to pull the plug. Not unlike Moto's mobile division, to be fair.

So.. what you're saying is that UIQ is in trouble as a platform because of untested offerings turning up in the relatively distant future?

I guess that's one way of saying SE's two- year old UIQ implementation still is one of the best offerings on the market - which I unfortunately have to agree with - but come on..
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 13:46

On 2008-03-27 13:17:18, Nipsen wrote:
So.. what you're saying is that UIQ is in trouble as a platform because of untested offerings turning up in the relatively distant future?

I guess that's one way of saying SE's two- year old UIQ implementation still is one of the best offerings on the market - which I unfortunately have to agree with - but come on..

I can't really tell if you're joking or not. You don't think that developments like S60 with touch support, and increased choice in smartphone platforms from the likes of Android and the Iphone, are a challenge to UIQ? These things aren't in the distant future, most of them are going to happen this year - probably long before any significant new UIQ model appears.

Just look at S60 Touch. It's a hammerblow to UIQ. It's the most popular Symbian UI by a long shot, with the best developer support, using the best implementation of Symbian itself, combined with the single feature that UIQ previously championed over S60 - touchscreen support. How can that not be a massive threat? Nokia could royally screw up the whole interface (they won't) and it would still make UIQ look redundant.

I can't stand S60, I know little about Android, I'm not interested in the Iphone, and I spent four solid years being completely faithful to UIQ - but I can still see that the platform's in big trouble, and posters like you have your heads so deep into the sand it's unreal!

[ This Message was edited by: Boinng on 2008-03-27 12:46 ]
c_vignesh
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 13:58
Will this UIQ 3.3 version support flash / flash lite
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:04
Boinng...s60 touch has yet to prove itself to be on UIQ level (the touch part), much less iphone level...its premature to say anything about it untill you see some real devices
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:16
If were really committed in the long term to UIQ (in whatever form) would they be releasing WM phones into their line up? I admit to being a cynic but Sony have a long history of swapping formats at the drop of a hat, I for one am not betting on UIQ being around for too long. But I am sure its nice news for those who are interested in this sort of thing.

[ This Message was edited by: Nitro Fan on 2008-03-27 13:17 ]
doministry
Sony Xperia Z2
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:25
Right,
What Nokia showed as it's touch interface in a demo,
was rather poor and not encouraging. Absolutely not convincing.
But they will definately improve that, make it best they can and have many good ideas about it,
but it's not really existing yet (on the market) and it's no to so soon it will be launched,
and maybe it was a mistake....
Every new idea is challenging though and we can be sure SE/UIQ sees that and reacts for that.

Nipsen
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:33

On 2008-03-27 13:46:20, Boinng wrote:
You don't think that developments like S60 with touch support, and increased choice in smartphone platforms from the likes of Android and the Iphone, are a challenge to UIQ?

I don't. Not until it proves itself to be 1. as stable. 2. as secure. 3. as scaleable. 4. as customiseable. 5. as efficient. and 6. as developer- friendly (and then I don't mean for hackers, but for actual developers).

I've said it before - but if SE supported these units, and ensured they were properly tested (and positioned for people who actually use the phones) - it would be no question what sort of /platform/ would be the best one at the market.

And as you say - that a platform with no HSDPA phones, no high- end processors, no in- built gps, etc, etc, can still manage to survive, that certainly means something. We just disagree on what, I suppose.
These things aren't in the distant future, most of them are going to happen this year - probably long before any significant new UIQ model appears.

Nevertheless - it's not here, and it might very well be a "dream". And we know next to nothing about the capabilities and the way it's structured, or how easy it would be to actually develop less than a complete program- suite for it. And those are important things, when you consider a platform to develop on.
Just look at S60 Touch. It's a hammerblow to UIQ.

Sadly, no. Set aside the fact that we haven't actually seen the tech on anything except concept- animations so far - it sets out to implement the scrolling- functions in s60 with finger- touch. I.e, mapping up/down and push on the d-pad to finger- movement. Anything else would have to be implemented separately, and break backwards against other s60 phones. In other words, what it does is to introduce the s60 users to touch, not entice wm or UIQ users to s60. (As much as I would love that to be the case, since it might actually give SE a reason to get their asses in gear).

Nokia could royally screw up the whole interface (they won't) and it would still make UIQ look redundant.

The m600 /looked/ redundant.
I can't stand S60, I know little about Android, I'm not interested in the Iphone, and I spent four solid years being completely faithful to UIQ - but I can still see that the platform's in big trouble, and posters like you have your heads so deep into the sand it's unreal!

Well - try an s60 unit for a while. And be amazed to see what the hype is about. That experience still makes me laugh inside, at least, whenever I encounter a "quirk" in UIQ.. "ooh, s60 is the best symbian, the most bleeding edge.." - I wish. Oh, how I wish that was the case.
The p1 Whiki - report your bugs, and add feature requests here.

"Brothers and Sisters, believe! Believe in the salvation of Demand Paging, 'eah!"
sternas
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:53
“The Last breath before death”

A great sample of (Sony/Nokia) Marketing … mistake.
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2008-03-27 14:56
i was just browsing the new features and i like this very much:

Opera Widgets: Opera widgets run on UIQ 3.3, offering the user direct access to content and opening up for new mobile services
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi