Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Has anyone owned a Nokia 5500 Sport - Opinions wanted

Author Has anyone owned a Nokia 5500 Sport - Opinions wanted
dean147
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-03-18 14:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi, I am looking at buying a Nokia 5500 sport (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330220280012&mfe=sidebar)

Has anyone got opinions on this and how much I should pay?

Many Thanks
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-19 00:08
i like the symbian os generally, but in that fone, its useless imo. way too small screen and font size. next to it not a bad solution for outdoor actions, also the 2 mp offers good pix if it is and sportstarcker with step counter etc are really funny.
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-19 00:17
Ask Nanu!

razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-03-20 13:18
I have a friend owning that phone before. and he sold it to his nokia-lover friend one week after he got it. After few Months, he saw his sold phone from his friend that the keypad ended up swelling and has a tape on it and he was thankful that he did the right thing(to sell it asap )

the interface is fast enough, screen is dense(denser than N70/N91's) and pretty good brightness/contrast. sports apps is nice. camera quality is average- i mean worse than N70's/N91's. form factor is highly compact although it looks like a soap Nokia made a mistake for the design of this phone. thet should have used 5210/5410 design instead.
10 years at Esato
silverJON
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-04-13 03:17
I'll paste my damning Ciao review of the 5500 here:

Advantages: A torch... quite a rugged build
Disadvantages: KEYPAD DROPS OFF. Slow, buggy firmware, unpleasant keypad, missing essential features, poor battery life

Recommend to potential buyers: no

A very durable phone - until it sheds its keypad. Then it's totally unusable. I had mine fixed under warranty. The rubber flap covering the connectors at the bottom also broke.

Now the phone is 16 months old, more issues have emerged. The text messaging application is so buggy that it crashes-to-standby at least twice a day. Sometimes it doesn't crash, it just hangs, and I have no choice but to reboot the phone. And turning it on takes about two minutes - no good if you need to call an ambulance (yes, it once delayed me calling an ambulance).
The key placement also means I frequently hit cancel by accident when texting, so I have to find my half-written message in Drafts. This usually involves the Messaging app hanging again, me swearing, and rebooting the phone again.

The Sports application can not be exited. It runs in the background draining power as long as the phone's on. The Sports feature is a gimmick anyway - if you're serious about sport, you'll have a device that does it properly - like a serious photographer wouldn't use a camera phone.
Speaking of power... it lasts a grand total of two days at standby. An hour on the phone and that's about it.

Some nice features - like a pedometer, and the very useful torch - but it's missing some basic things. There is NO STOPWATCH and NO COUNTDOWN TIMER. I don't want a bloody World Clock if I can't time my pie in the oven.
Don't buy it. For your own sanity. You'll thank me.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi