Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > SIP Settings on SE W-series (to congifure Vonage)

Author SIP Settings on SE W-series (to congifure Vonage)
alkhalid
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-03-11 01:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi everyone, I just joined ESATO 5 minutes ago and this is my first post.
So currently I'm working in a WiFi company in Silicon Valley, last week a friend approached me to help her stup a Nokia E51 devices to configure a Vonage softphone account on her phone. After a week of searching and testing, we finally got it to work today.

So, I was wondering, is there a SIP client that we can install on SonyEricsson phones in general, and W910/W890 to configure SIP settings on them.

I know that it's more likely on smart phones that are WiFi ready, but we probably can run voice over 3G on the W-series phones.

Any ideas or solutions?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2008-03-19 12:13
There are several clients to use. Fring (proprietary protocol), Truphone (SIP based), Gizmo (SIP based), and a few others.

By the way, can you post the Vonage settings for others to use?
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-03-19 12:35
I am not aware of any applications that will work with SIP for W910i or W890i as they only support JAVA. Fring will not work on those phones as ther is no fring for java
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2008-03-19 13:34

On 2008-03-19 12:35:42, jcwhite_uk wrote:
I am not aware of any applications that will work with SIP for W910i or W890i as they only support JAVA. Fring will not work on those phones as ther is no fring for java

Thanks JK. I did not pay attention to the phones he mentioned. I was thinking about S60.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
alkhalid
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2008-03-19 18:56
Thanks for the answers, here is the setup for vonage on nokia smart phones

This is a complete step by step guide that explains how to setup a Vonage Soft-Phone Account on Nokia Smartphones, the steps below have been tested on Nokia 61i and Nokia E51. The SIP account registered on both phones successfully, calls were made and received without any problems.

Before configuring your phone, you need to have the following:
1. A Vonage Soft-Phone Account: you must signup for a Vonage plan, when you do that you will create an account with username and password, you can access that account online and add a soft-phone line. When you sign up for a soft-phone line, you will receive a username (your phone number), and a soft-phone password (this is different then your account password)
2. Access to Wi-Fi Hotspot (home, office, coffee shop, or all of them), basically your phone should be able to connect to the internet and browse the internet through your WLAN Access Point using an Access Point profile on your phone.

SIP Settings:
On your Nokia Smart-Phone go to:
Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > SIP settings > Options
Create a new SIP Profile (you can choose any name)

Profile Name
Vonage
Service Profile
IETF
Default access Point
(Your wireless network name, if your home network name is “Netgear”, you can search for it and choose it as your access point for this SIP Profile). Note that you can create multiple SIP Profiles with the same settings but different access points for home, office, etc.
Public user name
sip:(YOUR-VONAGE-NUMBER)@sphone.vopr.vonage.net
Note: your number must be in the form (13334445555), you must always include “1” then your phone number.
Use compression
No
Registration
Always On
Use Security
No
Proxy Server Submenu:
Proxy server address
None
Realm:
User name:
YOUR-VONAGE-NUMBER (1#########)
Password:
***** (soft-phone password)
Allow loose routing :
Yes
Transport Type:
Auto
Prot:
Register Server Submenu:
Registrar Server address:
sip:sphone.vopr.vonage.net
Realm:
sphone.vopr.vonage.net
user name
YOUR-VONAGE-NUMBER (1#########)
Password:
***** (soft-phone password)
Transport type
UDP
Port

Click “Back” to exit all menus and save your settings

Internet tel. Settings:

On your Nokia Smart-Phone go to:
Menu > Tools > Settings > Connection > Internet tel. Settings > Options

Name
Vonage (any name you choose, preferably the same as the SIP profile you just created)
SIP profiles
Choose the SIP profile you just created (Note: you can choose multiple SIP profiles if you create more than one for different Wi-Fi locations)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi